Healthy Curry Recipe ..... This Alright??

summergurl

♥3 Years Maintaining♥
So, was watching a programme last night called 'Take on the Takeaway' .... and John Burton Race took on an indian takeaway and made his version of a chicken spinach balti ... Now heres the recipe:

• 1inch ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 lime (juice only)
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2tsp chilli powder
  • 1/2tsp ground cumin
  • 2 chicken breasts cut into bitesize pieces
  • 75ml plain yogurt
  • 1 red onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 tomatoes (deseeded & finely chopped)
  • 1tbsp tomatoe puree
  • splash of water
  • 150g spinach
  • 75ml double cream
  • 3.5oz rice
Now ..... here is my thinking ... it all sounds relitively (sp?) healthy except the double cream, yogurt & rice so if i were to exchange the yogurt to low fat natural yogurt and add an extra 75ml of yogurt (and take out the double cream) and change the rice for wholemeal rice ..... i reckon this sounds like a nice little healthy curry?

What do we all reckon?

And incase anyone is wondering; here are the cooking instructions....

1. Finely chop the ginger and garlic.
  2. Sprinkle over the salt and chop a little more and put into a big bowl.
  3. Add the lime juice and spices and mix well.
  4. Add the chicken and yogurt and leave to marinate for 15mins.
  5. Fry the finely chopped onion (i'd dry fry this but i guess you could use frylight - just not on refeed) and add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and gently cook for 1minute.
  6. Add the chicken and all the marinade mixture to the pan and add the splash of water.
  7. Add the double cream (Or in our case, the equilivant but in lf yogurt) and turn up the heat and simmer for around 15mins or untill the chicken is cooked through.
  8. Add the spinach and cook untill wilted.
  9. Serve with wholemeal rice.
This sounds pretty tasty, and im sure we are allowed all of this on refeed so i reckon im guna make me an my bf this on my first saturday off LT .... that is of course once ive got some of your opinions! lol

I'd probably mix through some garden peas into the rice also.

Thanks for the recipe i watched that series before its really interesting! I think you picked out the only bad stuff. not really sure you wud need the cream it wud only make the sauce creamier so you cud do without that!

Yeah - you dont have to add the extra yogurt i guess, but doing so would make more of a sauce.

I cant wait to try it! :giggle: Ive got all the spices as ive been stocking up whilst on LT this time around - grabbing bargains where i can so its not one massive cost when i decide to refeed! :giggle:

well a good thing to do if you want to make more sauce is add more tomatoe puree i usually do this for my family and once you put extra herbs in you shud still get the same taste!

Hmmm never thought of that! thanks! :D

I think the natural yoghurt is ok, and the cream could be substituted with lf creme frais even..I think overall and it is ok, even if you did put a little bit of cream in it....everything in moderation ;-)

I will steal that recipe Tanya; it sounds lovely...just need a day free to make it now :)

THANKS!!!

No problemo iris :) Im looking forward to making it more than eating it hahaa

try swapping the cream for low fat fromage frais, i done a tikka masala the other night with it and it was delicious xx happy cooking when you refeed xx

Yup thats what i meant by changing the cream i put lf nat yog but its pretty much the same as ff :p

Last edited:
Ooh sounds yummy, will have to try that x

Back