Healthy eating while living in a motel

derekeh83

I work out of town a lot and find it very difficult to eat healthy. Living in a motel along with long work days make it more convenient to just get fast food. I'm trying to get away from that though and eat better. I've been wondering about crock pot foods or grilling foods on an electric grill such as a George Forman grill. Anyone have any input on this or know any other ways to eat healthy in a motel? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Hi derekeh83, I am a contract worker who spends on average 4 to 5 nights in motels a week. Tips I can share with you are as follows:

Have a meal plan and stick to a grocery list.
For breakfast I keep it simple, have a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee.
Morning snacks I usually keep some ready to eat yogurt, a packet of berries or almonds on hand.
Lunch consists of a sandwich which the previous nights leftovers or peanut butter for a midday energy boost
An afternoon snack is much the same as a morning snack, I incorporate some citrus fruit with this as well.
For dinner I do the following:

In summer I make a lot of salads to ensure I get my vegetable consumption and maintain a positive nutrition balance along with grilled meat (the Grill idea you have is brilliant)
In winter I either steam vegetables (in a microwave if no cook top is available) along with some grilled meat. You can even grill vegetables on a grill for variety.

The recipes may appear monotonous but with some innovative shopping and a keen eye for new recipes you can keep the meals interesting.

Back