Healthy Extra update pre prepared grated cheese isnt a Health Extra!!!!

snuggle69

Silver Member
Not sure if you guys already know this but my consultant has just posted this on our group facebook page, these little things can make all the difference to our weightloss!!

GRATED CHEESE
Pre grated shop bought cheese isn't a Healthy Extra A (or B choice on green) and must be counted as syns, it is something to do with the caking ingredient potato starch which is added to keep it separate. Low n Low is the only one that is ok! :(

snuggle69 said:
Not sure if you guys already know this but my consultant has just posted this on our group facebook page, these little things can make all the difference to our weightloss!!

GRATED CHEESE
Pre grated shop bought cheese isn't a Healthy Extra A (or B choice on green) and must be counted as syns, it is something to do with the caking ingredient potato starch which is added to keep it separate. Low n Low is the only one that is ok! :(

I hate pregrated cheese anyway! But thanks for telling us :)

I dont like cheese anyway so doesnt affect me either lol

I never use it because I can't see the point. It is more expensive, goes mouldy quickly, and the taste and texture are horrible, all powdery (which would be the potato starch, I suppose).

However, thanks for the warning.

I don't buy it, but might have dont if I was in a rush, so thanks for that snuggle69 x

I've used it once since starting SW on my smash pizza and it didn't do me any harm, but it's good to know for future reference.

I never use it because I can't see the point. It is more expensive, goes mouldy quickly, and the taste and texture are horrible, all powdery (which would be the potato starch, I suppose).

However, thanks for the warning.

i have been buying it as you actually get more weight for your money well the low fat one at sainsburys is cheaper grated than the block and it melts well too

i will have to stop buying :(

I bought a bag today for my SW pizza, as when I got Mozzarella in a ball it was a nightmare to grate, squished but didn't exactly grate. Oh crumbs =[ Well I shall use it just this once, but know better for next time :sigh:
x

I bought a bag today for my SW pizza, as when I got Mozzarella in a ball it was a nightmare to grate, squished but didn't exactly grate. Oh crumbs =[ Well I shall use it just this once, but know better for next time :sigh:
x
if you drain the mozarella ball and freeze you can grate it frozen i usually buy mine in bulk when the supermarket is selling it off and freeze when i want one defrost the water away by sitting the bag in tepid water for 5-10 min and grate ball whilst still frozen

hope that helps

if you drain the mozarella ball and freeze you can grate it frozen i usually buy mine in bulk when the supermarket is selling it off and freeze when i want one defrost the water away by sitting the bag in tepid water for 5-10 min and grate ball whilst still frozen

hope that helps

o0o0oh that should totally go in the Tip of the Day thread! :D
x

I'm sure you can get blocks of the hard mozzerella? i,e the stuff you get grated - that's slightly different to the balls.

Didn't see this thread when it was first posted, I use pregrated cheese a lot, like some of you have said mozarella is a nightmare to grate so the pregrated stuff is so helpful, oh well. I guess I'll just pretend I never saw this thread :D I like doing that when I find things out that I don't want to know! ;)

Oh no! I've been having pre-grated cheese for ages, I usually have mozarella and it's far easier to get the grated stuff. I'll use up what I have and see how I loose...

It's free in my house (& mind). I really can't see how a bit of potato starch could make much of a difference (should be free on green days, ha, ha!).

Thanks for this.

I use pre grated mozzarella for convenience too. I do remember that Tesco did a pre packed block of mozzarella - not the stuff in water, more like regular packaged cheese. This is firmer and ok to grate so I will have to check and see if they still sell it. It used to be near the wet packed mozzarella if anyone wants to look for it.

Back