Heavy!!! More syns??

lunachic86

Hi all!! Newbie here!!

Do I ashamedly had my first weigh in nearly 3 weeks ago at 18st6lbs... lost 4lbs in first week and 4 in the second. Third weigh in on Tuesday night. I’ve just read somewhere that you get more syns if over 16stone? Is that correct? Xx

Do you need more syns?
I was told I could have 25 xx
(I don't though as I'm aware that that's around 500 calories extra)

The first week I was saving them til the kids went to bed. Today I’ve used 6 already just by being greedy. I need shopping tomorrow all my free go to snacks are now finished. I was just reading a thread on a different site and looking at snack ideas and seen a post that you get more being over 16 stone. Think it’s just hard breaking bad habits xx

I think its slimming worlds way of acknowledging that those over 16 stone have extra calorie nerds and do have those habits that led them to their weight that will be harder to break to give more to help adjust to plan.

Try increasing your syns as you are allowed to and see how it affects your losses, if it's negative then bring them back down. That's my advice xx

Talk to your consultant, they will tell you how many syns you can have x

This is the table I saw when I signed up:

syns-table.jpg

I thought I found it on the slimming world website but I haven't since been able to find it!

During our welcome talk the leader said some people are allowed more syns, and I thought she was going to tell me later so other peole wouldn't know I was over 16 stone (you can’t exactly miss it), but she didn’t so I've just been sticking to 15.

My husband and I, and the rest of our group are just told it's between 5 and 15 syns a day regardless of weight. When I started I weighed almost 22 stone, and today I still have the same syn allowance.

I have also heard that you can have more being heavier, but if you can do without them and stick to the standard 5-15 then perhaps it will create a more rigid habit in the long term. I think if I was allowed 25 syns one day then came back with a great loss and was told I was being rationed down to 15 syns I would feel I was being punished for a success! Also, if I was in the routine of having say a treat with syns at 11am then another at 4pm then a final one at 9pm, it would be a pain to readjust to not having these or having to cut one or two out when my plan was adjusted.

Honestly when I did SW properly when I first joined in 2011 (I think? Might've been 2010) I never used my syns as I didn't see the point of slowing my own mission down. Saying that- I'm not as holier than thou as I might sound- I also never counted vodka with diet coke (never ever once counted one) so I probably had more than 15 per day over the average week with those alone :classic_confused:

I'm sure you'll do fine with 5 or 25 if you follow the rest of it to the letter, let us know how you get on :classic_smile:

Honestly when I did SW properly when I first joined in 2011 (I think? Might've been 2010) I never used my syns as I didn't see the point of slowing my own mission down. Saying that- I'm not as holier than thou as I might sound- I also never counted vodka with diet coke (never ever once counted one) so I probably had more than 15 per day over the average week with those alone :classic_confused:

That's pretty much how I've done it since day 1 minus the vodka! I saw I was entitled to 35 a day being 27 stone but my sister said in the group they were advised to stick to 5-15 a day. I started off having less than 5 most days. Now I have 1.5-2 every lunch depending on what ainsley couscous I have and I might have the odd 0.5-2 sysns on potatos with garlic butter depending on where the shopping is for lunch. If I'm having a hungrier day than normal I might then use my syns up on a few biscuits but that's rare!

That being said, I didn't find the diet change too difficult. At first I had to look around to find what was ok and wasn't and struggled with our choices in the cupboard but I quickly found a lot of free foods I really enjoy so I've been lucky. I guess if you are struggling with this and have the option to start higher work your way down the syns then this could work better (it also sounds like it will beneficial for SW if you're paying a weekly fee as you'll be sticking around longer!).

Yes that makes sense! I am a bit of a cynic and am aware that the corporate machine needs us to fail and "take the scenic route" with reaching our goal weight in order to remain profitable... but maybe that's just me spending too much time on the internet :blahblah:

When I was a member in 2012 our group leader told everyone to use all their syns because as we lose weight, we might hit a plateau, and that was the time to cut down on syns. My current leader hasn’t mentioned this though.

Back