Hello all - I'm starting today!

Hi dream. Just thought I'd check in to see how you are getting on? Hope its going well :D

Hey Emily, thanks for popping by! Have been busy last week hence haven't been posting but I've been doing extra easy on SW!

I weighed myself at home mid last week, thought I lost 1kg... but when I had my proper weigh-in yesterday I found out I only lost have a pound!!!!! very disheartened really... I did eat lots of fruit and veg! Much more than what I normally eat. Maybe I'm not counting the syns right. Maybe I've dined out too much last week and under-estimated the amount of syn. Will see how this week goes.........

Anyway, hope it's going better for you!!

Hi Dream, sorry you didn't lose as much as you wanted, you do have to make sure your counting your syns, its so easy to estimate only to find you have under estimated which you will find will effect your weight loss, also I found that you really must weigh the foods that are limited, like your cereals, i use to gauge it and was horrified to find out I was having twice as much in some cases, so i still always weigh the items that need weighing, keep positive and you will see the benifits :)

thanks for your advice. I did weigh 28g of cereal and measured 175ml of whole milk, what I think might be what's causing the slow progress is the eating out - it's hard to guess how much oil the chef used. Even a healthy looking salad could be full of syns. I want to eat out less but my hubby loves eating out....... I think I'll just have to say no more often!

Eating out does make things more difficult as you cant control how things have been prepared and cooked. For example, I went to a carvery the other day and when I mentioned it in group, my C said I need to watch the veg as it sits in serving pots loaded with butter. And there was me thinking it was all free food - meat and veg.

It is really worth spending a good while getting your head around the info in the books as it will pay off.

The online syn calculator is a great tool.

Good luck!

I'm actually quite confused with the status of mullerlight / activia fat free yogurt - I remember reading somewhere mullerlight is free, but what I found out from the food optimising book is that, natural mullerlight is free, but favoured ones are 0.5 syn. oh well... I can live with 0.5 syns!

The standard Mullerlights ARE free, the strawberry, banana, toffee, etc flavours. The ones with stuff in, like soggy digestive biscuit or grated chocolate, have small syn values that account for the additions.

HTH

Hi, I started sw on Tuesday. Still getting my head round it, but am doing extra easy so it can't be that hard?!! I lost 3 stone with ww two years ago, but two pregnancies later and I'm back at square one! Am breastfeeding so hoping that gives my weight loss a bit of a boost! Good luck!!

Thanks all for support and encouragement! Yes I now know that mullerlight / activia fat free yogurt are free - HURRAY! I find the SW lifeonline website very useful as it has the food diary function which helps me log what I've eaten.

I've read the book but am still trying to get my head around why SW works. With low-carb I understand why it works, so I can guess why red days would work (red day is like a low carb day, isnt it). What I don't understand is how EE work - you eat rice / meat / potatoes etc all as free food. Yes 1/3 of what you eat is veg / fruit, but still, if I eat carbs AND protein... how does food optimising work on EE?

If you know how SW work please can you tell me? I go to a "pop in group" near my office over lunch, I wonder if I should go to a proper group instead, as the consultant talked me through the green food optimising book briefly and that's about it. I'm still confused...

Back