Hello- am a newbie

midwife1311

Hi

Am starting GI today and wanted to introduce myself.
I have tried WW(hate counting points!) SW, i abused the "free foods" and the eat as much as you want mentality!! hence i didn't lose anything:cry:

I have an underactive thyroid and find it very difficult to lose any weight. I also work shifts and need a way of eating where I can eat "snacky" things as well as meals during my working day which is 12 hour day/night shifts. Am hoping GI ticks all those boxes for me:D

Looking forward to using this board and "meeting " you all.

Deb x

Lots of luck on your journey. I think Gi/GL is a fab lifestyle choice both for weightloss and maintaining. I see you are a veggie. I have found , since following gl, I have really taken to lentils/ beans/ quinoa and have almost no red meat now at all. So GL should really suit. If you have a week where you are not losing, maybe look at portion sizes. I have found this an issue for me once or twice. Keep up your water intake. Drink at least 3 to 4 litres a day. Keep posting on here as it will help keep you on track.

Wow , you have done amazingly well:D. Eating less meat is not a bad thing. Do you find that you enjoy your food more?
Portion sizes are definitely a problem for me so will take your advice and look at them if I don't lose.

Which Natures valley bars do you have ?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I love the foods I eat cos I never feel bloated or bunged up which happens when I eat too much hydrogenated fats or a lot of wheat products.
I find nature valley chewy trail mix bars best. Ingredients are GL friendly and satisfy sweet tooth!! The Nakd bars are also fab, all natural ingredients so don't make you want to eat loads more. The 68g bars are ideal in your bag to have instead of lunch if you can't find enough GL friendly choices in the cafe.

I have a very "sluggish" system at the moment , which may in part be due to my thyroid problem so changing my diet should help!! I often feel bloated too so am looking forward to that disappearing! How long did it take you to feel the benefits of GI eating?
Thanks for the tips re: cereal bars too. I love the Nakd ones and to be able to have one in an emergency is good too. Are the crunchy granola bars considered GI? I know that they have loads of sugar in them though. I shall look out for the trail bars.

Thanks so much for your help too x

midwife1311 said:
I have a very "sluggish" system at the moment , which may in part be due to my thyroid problem so changing my diet should help!! I often feel bloated too so am looking forward to that disappearing! How long did it take you to feel the benefits of GI eating?
Thanks for the tips re: cereal bars too. I love the Nakd ones and to be able to have one in an emergency is good too. Are the crunchy granola bars considered GI? I know that they have loads of sugar in them though. I shall look out for the trail bars.

Thanks so much for your help too x

Three weeks on GL, I really started to feel the benefits. Energy levels improved. No more heavy bloated feelings or sluggish system. I put this down to eating beans, lentils, fish etc and to largely avoiding wheat and more processed foods. I kept off alcohol as well when I was trying to lose weight.
The crunchy granola bars are nice but as you said, high in sugars and calories. I stick more with the chewy trail mix bars. Don't be too hard on yourself either. You can apply the 80/20 rule and allow yourself a little slack depending on how quickly you want to lose weight. With little effort, I have now knocked off over the last three weeks about 8 lbs of my Xmas excesses. So, personally I think GL is a fab way of living. I don't call it a diet as for me it is a lifestyle.

Good luck with your GI journey - as another newbie I'll be going along with you.
I abused the "free foods" on slimming world too and I also found that I was eating alot more carbs than I would when I wasn't following the plan so it wasn't working for me anymore.
I'm hoping that with GI it will be more of a lifelong change of eating habits rather than a 'diet'.

Hope your week is going well. Get posting on your progress, good and bad as we are all here to support each other.

Hey, hope you are doing well. Get posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Back