Hello from a new member.

GillyKat

Hi everyone! I found this site earlier today whilst googling Slimming World munchies :D We all have to bring something along next Monday night so I was looking for inspiration as I am hopeless in the kitchen :eek: Tomorrow I will go through my huge pile of SW magazines and see if there's anything I see that looks good and is do-able for a kitchen novice like me....at least I have nearly a week to practice preparing it and test it out on Neil ;)

I'm Gill, 42 years old, live in Northumberland and married to Neil.
When we first met in October 1997 I was 10st and a size 12 but over the years I got comfortable *as you do* and the weight slowly crept up until I reached an absolute low point last December. I felt like the most fat, ungainly, repulsive person on the planet and even though Neil said he loved me whatever size I was I just felt nothing but hatred towards myself :cry: It didn't help that I was getting aching knees and had agonising pain in my feet when I first got up and could barely hobble around!!! I never actually went to the doctor about this but typing my symptoms into google came up with plantar fasciitis :sigh: I work in a newsagents/post office too and we have three floors and I was so out of condition and my knees kept giving way that I had problems climbing the stairs. I looked after a friend's border collie pup (9 months old) for two weeks and it nearly killed me!!! This was just the last straw as I'd always been so fit when I was younger and thought nothing of getting out for a full day's walk with my dogs.
Sadly I am unable to have a dog just yet as I work full-time but certainly plan to in the future.

So on Monday January 4th 2010 I bit the bullet and joined my local Slimming World group. I was absolutely TERRIFIED walking into that room as I felt that everyone would laugh at me (especially as I live in a smallish town and, working in the newsagents, everybody knows me!!!) but right from the very start I was made to feel welcome. I was horrified to see that I had reached 16st but told myself that things could only go better from now on! I didn't quite understand the plan the first week and managed to confuse myself :p but still lost 1.5lb and after that I got the hang of it and averaged around 2-3lb a week :) I was over the moon to lose 2st by the end of June and my clothes were starting to hang off me :D The pains in my feet and knees also disappeared and haven't returned so that is definitely a bonus!
But then in July 2010 I began to fall off the wagon a bit too much and the occasional 'little treat' became a daily occurence....often a few times a day...and the weight started to sneak back on. And here I am....1st back on and in need of a good kick up my bum!!! :mad:

Eventually I would LOVE to be back into size 12 clothes and that is my goal...that and getting back into my horse riding once more....but for now ~ at 15st 3lb ~ I just want to get back into the flow and start losing again!
I go on a couple of horsey forums and really enjoy it as the friendship and support you get is fantastic and so I have been looking for a slimming forum that would help me stay on track and focused too....and give me some meal ideas that would be tasty for Neil too as he is getting a tad cuddly too. He wishes he didn't work on Monday nights as he could go along to SW with me so I think I should come up with a few tasty meals that will not leave him feeling deprived and starving ;)

Anyway, off to look around the rest of the site and look forward to meeting you all :)

Hey :) I'm relatively new too, but it's so friendly here I've settled in fast!

I used to live in your part of the world (still miss it!) and have a similar sort of weight to lose. I'm aiming to get back into the 10/12 I was before children! Been at it for a fortnight now and I'm determined!

Hope to see you around a bit more.

hi gillykat welcome to minimins i will give u a kick up the bum if u give me one back :asskick:i have been following s/w for several weeks had lost 15lbs but have just been on a 3 day binge just eaten for the sake of it, i have had blips a few times but have managed to get back on track the next day am worried now that i am not going to get back in the right frame of mind to do it. i am going to try hard to start afresh tomorrow will weigh myself to see what damage has been done :eek: then i think chocolate, cakes and sweets have to be taken right out of the equation perhaps i'm like an alchoholic that one bite sets me off on a binge need to go cold turkey, any way thats enough about me lol good luck on ur weight loss journey :)

I know exactly what you mean Val - I just cannot have biscuits or other treats in the house because I know I am physically incapable of having just one....one PACKET, yes, but not a single biscuit all on it's own ;)
I try to keep a full fruitbowl and lots of nibbles in the fridge for when I feel that I 'need' something but over the past few months I've slipped from grace slightly LOL And for the past three weeks I have eaten for England.....and not on healthy stuff either! :sigh: :break_diet:

But onward and upward....this time I WILL do it!!! I'm full of cold at the moment *wonderful husband letting me share his man Flu* but I refuse to give in to stodgy comfort foods....planning to make some SW soup tomorrow and perhaps even the famous Quiche they keep talking about on Monday nights.

Welcome GillyKat,

Good luck on your journey.

I sympathise with the 'I can't just have one' thing but I have (mostly) learnt to work round that. I know that's what happens so when I choose to have something like a biscuit/chocolate with my syns, I make sure that I put whatever it is away and then go into another room to eat it (preferably another floor of the house !) and then try and keep myself distracted when I get the 'that was really nice, maybe I should have another one' feeling. It soon passes and then I feel satisfied with the little treat but it doesn't escalate.

Hope all goes well for you and keep posting.

Gail x

Hi and welcome. You know you can do it. You just need to focus. Perhaps start a diary thread and/or a food diary thread in the SW section for support.

Irene xx

Back