Hello from another Newbie!

Austineer

Hi, I found this wonderful forum when I was having a browse round the internet for weight loss information.

I'm female, nearly (very nearly!) 30 years old and 5'7" tall. I don't know how much I weigh but I take a size 14-16 on top and a size 18-20 on the bottom.

I suffer from lipoedema, which means my legs are very large and "doughy". I have ugly fat deposits below my knees which make my calves about 20" each round, which means that all jeans and trousers, even wide-leg and "boyfriend" style, are skinny-to-the-max fit on me.

I hope that losing weight will help to lessen the effects of the lipoedema, as well as give me more self confidence.

I'd love to wear a skirt or shorts again - I haven't worn anything that stops above the ankle since I was 21, apart from a brief try 18 months ago when someone made a completely innocuous comment about my skirt and I felt so self-concious that I had to go and have a cry in the toilets.

The buck stops here - from here on in is my attempt to lose weight and feel better about myself. Here goes!

Hi Becky, I'm not sure whether I should follow a plan or just start to make changes to my eating habits.

I did follow the Weightwatchers points on-line plan a few years back but found I was crap at keeping up with totalling my points etc.

I have considered giving one of the slimming clubs with regular meetings a go, but I'm not sure whether I'd like the idea of discussing my weight face-to-face with others. The nurse I visit for my leg measurements has told me I will probably find it more difficult than most to lose weight from my legs, though my upper body shouldn't be a problem - and I don't want anyone to think of me as a failure down the line because I still have excess fat above the ankle.

I must admit that my dietary habits are abysmal. Like a lot of people I use the excuse of working long hours to justify chucking a pizza in the oven when I get home and washing it down with a glass or two of wine or a bottle of beer.

I know I shouldn't be eating like this, and I want to make a concious change. I enjoy healthy foods, and I enjoy cooking, so I need to get in the mind-set of actively seeking the healthy option and not just settling for "old favourites" like sausages or chocolate.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome.What ever plan you to choose to follow you have come to the best place in the world for help and advise. Good luck :)

Hi and welcome. Have you thought about going to a class but having a word with the leader about your condition before you go. I am sure everyone there will be very welcoming and helpful

Irene xx

Welcome to Minimins :)

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I've started a Food Focus diary to help me keep track of what I'm eating - and it has also opened my eyes to the high calorific content of some of the foods I thought were "good"!

Welcome to the forums, hun. And good for you with the creation of the food focus diary, it's quite helpful.

Welcome to our friendly forum. We r all here to support each other. Good luck on ur weightloss journey

Keisha x

Back