HELP! 1/3 plate sf

Pececito

Hi!

Ive been doing the slimming world diet for a few weeks not but I am really struggling on ideas for what to do with my veg for my evening meals. I know the easiest option is to just add a side salad however as I am usually having a salad for lunch Im getting a little bored of them. I must admit im not a great lover of veg but i realise this will need to change if the sw diet is going to agree with me!

Any ideas on how i can jazz up my veg will be very much appreciated. Hoping to get my son eating more veg aswell if i can get exciting and taste ways to cook them! Little'n is 4 and as fussy a eater as I was at his age .

Thanks!

Hii! I have bags of Veg in my freezer so just take a couple of handfuls of that if my dish doesn't contain super free already. It doesn't take long to steam and is as good as fresh! Broccoli is my favourite but you can also buy big bags of sprouts, carrots etc that take minutes to steam.

I also cook loads of mushrooms, onions and peppers through many of my sauces, that helps bulk stuff up whilst getting lots of SF in your meal :) x

Get carrots onions & wot ever veg u want 2 oven cook...spray with fry light & coat withgarlic & chilli. (i use a grinder) ...gorgeous...

Thanks!!! Roasting with chilli and garlic sounds gorg!

I always thought that even if u had ur food bulked out with sf foods u still had 2 make 1/3 of plate sf foods is this not right?

I always put veg in my food for instance if I was making a pasta sauce I'd put peppers onion etc into the sauce. If I do that do I not have 2 add extra veg when plating up?

Total newbie as u can tell!

Even though the onion, peppers etc will add to your super free allowance there will never be as much onion as say pasta or mince in your bolognese so you have to even it out. Thats why many do just use a salad. If Im having a stir fry or saucey dish Ill out as much veg as poss in that, skip the salad and have fruit for pudding shortly after.

A good idea for those of us unenthusiastic about veg (like myself) is trying new things. I dont like carrots or greens so the idea of frozen mixed veg is bleh! Ive start doing friend peppers and onions with paprika and garlic, kind of tastes like Fajita veggies, I'll put that on the side of say couscous and meat.
I also grate courgette and carrot into sauces to bulk it up.

Another is some garlic fried mushrooms (you could even use Smash to breadcrumb them) :)

Just make sure that you are throwing as much veg into dishes as possible, it doesn't matter if your 1/3 is cooked in the sauce as long as it really is a 1/3. I can understand what others say about it not being as much when you include pasta etc but you just have to be honest and make sure you are adding enough to make up the 1/3! I usually go for half and half, but then I prefer veg to meat!

Thanks for the help girls!!! Fridge was empty so I've ended up havin full english for tea with sw chips! very british!! Haha half plate of mushrooms tho because I love them!!!

You can also do things like green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli in some stock. I use the marigold bouillon, put the veg with my meal then drink the stock as a sort of consommé so I don't lose too many of the nutrients and get extra fluid to fill me too. :)

Back