Help!!! Depression eating...

ColJack

Gold Member
Ok, I got told today that as of the 17th, I don't have a job...
As is to be expected this has hit me like being kicked in the knackers and I'm a lot down tonight..
The result is that besides my regular evening meal, I've also snacked so far tonight on...
1 can of strawberries ( syns )
1 Mince pie Hi-Fi bar ( syns )
1 Alpen lite bars ( syns, had 2 for breakfast as a HeB )
1 Orange ( fruit I know, and free but extra to what I normally have... ) ....

the only thing that stopped my calling for a large pizza was that they can't get up my road to deliver...

I'm hoping that the mood breaks tomorrow or I'll be going through the tins in the cupboard... ( ravioli, spag-bol, irish stew, mac and cheese etc.. should have thrown them out.. )

I need to get a hold of this before I ruin my week further by having a gain...
Any tips?

Its a total bummer about your job but you have done fantastically so far and it would be awful to let any of your hard work go to waste. All I can say is....do you feel any better for eating extra? I'm guessing the answer is a resounding NO. Go pound the pavements, take it out on them or if your pavements are too bad go crazy on the stair doing step ups.

PS. Have you lost your 57lbs since september? I thought I'd done well getting 28lbs off in 12 weeks!

Sorry to hear about your awful job news! That must feel terrible and I can totally see why you're feeling so low! I know it may not be much help but can you write down the reasons you turn to food for comfort during times of stress? Recognising our triggers is the first step to dealing with them! When you've worked out why you do it, try thinking of other things you could do to alleviate your feelings- maybe go for short brisk walk to blow away the cobwebs, go to bed (far away from the kitchen) and listen to some music/read a book/newspaper/magazine or start writing a weight loss journal including all the reasons you want to lose weight and all the health benefits it will bring (which you are starting to see evolve already!!!) Think about how great you will feel on the scales if you resist gorging and how awful you will feel on the scales if you give in to it!! Hope this helps a tiny weeny bit!! Sorry if it doesn't!XXXXXX

every little helps.. as the adverts say..

the reason I'm eating more tonight is that for some reason I'm actually hungry..
It's not like I'm eating for the sake of it, though the choices might be for comfort reasons as there is veg in the fridge that I could cook if I could be bothered..

Credit where it's due, you are snacking on pretty harmless things in comparison to things you could be having/things you would have eaten for comfort pre-SW!! But get away from them now before you do go down a slippery slope! If you really are genuinely hungry why not heat up some baked beans/tin of mushy peas/make some SW chips/whip up an omlette!! Something comforting, filling and FREEEEE!!!!X

it's nearly 1 am, too late to be using the cooker or microwave

I would have fruit but i ran out.. the orange was the last piece i had in.. got to shop tomorrow.. :)

SW chips aren't free BTW if you only have them on their own.. same as the SW crisps.. you can over-eat them.. that's why we have the 1/3 superfree on the plate..

beans is a good idea.. I have 6 cans and a saucepan...

SW chips are free! Even without the 1/3 superfree, it's a recommendation, a good one, but if an apple aint cutting it ColJack, scoff the chips and beans! That's what I would do anyway and it has never stopped me losing.

ACTALLY, now I'm craving mushy peas and mint... and it's almost 1:30... I think I'll even make some chips! lol.

Last edited:
Sorry about your job dude. That sucks!

I find hitting the punchbag or weights helps... if I can't get to either anything punchbag like will do: a rolled up duvet, a couch cushion, or at a push a tree will do!

sorry to hear about your job - that is really awful. what a nightmare for people like you at this time of year.

You could change the days around remember and go for green - then you'll have 2 heb's and fill up on stodgy sw chips and beans and pasta and make a sauce etc - all within.

Good luck with keeping on track you have already done so well.

Good luck with job hunting and getting back into a better frame of mind.

All the very best.

I can't really add much to what everyone else has said, just want to tell you to stay optimistic. You are obviously a very strong person to have come so far with your weightloss, see this job loss as a new opportunity...i firmly believe that things happen for a reason and i'll bet there is something much much better waiting for you out there!

Just wanted to add my support really. It's really hard to stay positive but do try to - there ARE jobs out there still and, you never know, you might find the job of your dreams. What Homer Simpson would call a cris-otunity! You are obviously a strong, determined, highly motivated person to have lost all that weight, and who wouldn't want someone like that on their team?

The stuff you've eaten isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Comfort eating is a natural response to extreme stress. You've done really well to keep it to sensible choices. So don't feel guilty about it!

Not sure what the answer to the chips debate is, but sometimes the only way to deal with a craving when you're in an exceptional situation like last night is to give in to it, within reason. Delivery pizza is not 'within reason' but if SW chips would hit the spot and prevent you from binging on loads of other things I wouldn't worry too much whether they're free or not.

sorry to hear about your job loss. :(

it's quite normal to overeat in times of distress. however, you haven't overeaten - you've just a few extra bits which are within plan. do you eat the same amounts of food every day? my appetite varies daily and i alter my eating habits to accommodate this and still lose weight. i just make sure i eat things that will fill me up and are on plan.

i only do green days as i'm veggie, but i'd definately recommend a green day if you feel like this as you can fill up on jacket potatoes, pasta and rice dishes and you can eat leftovers of these later and still remain on plan. ;)

carbs in general don't seem to agree with me..
the week's I tried varying my meals with things like vegie spag bol ( tin pasata, tin sliced mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic crushed.. no meat as it wasn't planned and didn't have any mince in.. ) and things with rice, I didn't loose much..
while I do have a couple of medium 'taters roasted with my chicken, even if I add things like parsnips, It hinders my losses...

yeah some people just don't get on with carbs, but if you were having a day where you thought you'd be tempted to binge at least by choosing a green day rather than ordering that pizza that would be some serious damage limitation and you won't have a gain ;)

Sorry to hear about your job. Like others have said at least you haven't gone wild on take aways and chocolate which to be honest I think I would of done...i'm on the verge had a naff week and if i didnt feel ill at the moment would of eaten all the goodies I have brought for peoples xmas hampers (its torcher!).

p.s - try a pineapple ;) by the time you have gotten into it another day will have passed and no syns...oh and if you eat enough of it it burns your mounth LOL

The 1/3 superfree is a guideline for EE from the SW peeps, not a strict rule! I often snack on things like SW chips and often have had good losses after doing so, probably because they have satisfied me and prevented me from incessantly picking on naughtier things! Sometimes it's better to go for a large helping of something filling than feeling guilty for nibbling a few chocolates etc. I think this is the beauty of SW, that we're not restricting ourselves!X

Life can be cruel at times but all you can do is roll with the punches and pick yourself back up. If it get's really bad and you feel you might be sinking into depression have a chat with the GP.

This year I've lost my job, my soulmate and had a cancer relapse so I know what you are going through. It's sucks. But there is bugger all you can do but pick yourself up and carry on.

You're weight loss so far has been great so try to either maintain or carry on. I know it can be the last thing on your mind so cut yourself some slack and give yourself a break.

I'm quite the opposite and tend to go off food when I'm down but it can have as big an impact on weight.

There's loads of comfort food recipes and ideas on the site. Drink loads as that can keep hunger at bay if you're just eating for the sake of it.

Otherwise a good easy staple I found was tinned toms, bacon and eggs done in frylight. Minimum effort and a sw friendly balanced meal.

Good luck on the job hunt and your weight loss.

Life can be cruel at times but all you can do is roll with the punches and pick yourself back up. If it get's really bad and you feel you might be sinking into depression have a chat with the GP.

This year I've lost my job, my soulmate and had a cancer relapse so I know what you are going through. It's sucks. But there is bugger all you can do but pick yourself up and carry on.

You're weight loss so far has been great so try to either maintain or carry on. I know it can be the last thing on your mind so cut yourself some slack and give yourself a break.

I'm quite the opposite and tend to go off food when I'm down but it can have as big an impact on weight.

There's loads of comfort food recipes and ideas on the site. Drink loads as that can keep hunger at bay if you're just eating for the sake of it.

Otherwise a good easy staple I found was tinned toms, bacon and eggs done in frylight. Minimum effort and a sw friendly balanced meal.

Good luck on the job hunt and your weight loss.

Great response- wow what a year you've had! What I love about this forum is all the inspiring people I meet here!X

Thanks for all the responses..
I'm past the depression stage now and into the "oh my god what am I going to do???" stage.. not as bad...

I'm in half a mind as to whether to go to the x-mas "do" now either..or even if I'm allowed..
It's on the 18th and they've already booked the meal ( no idea if it's already paid for.. )
When they got rid of an apprentice last month, they told him he could still come, but didn't say the same to me when they told me.
I feel a bit cheeky to ask, but I don't want to turn up if they don't expect me, but likewise I don't want to not go if they do expect me..

Back