Help! Dizziness and blindness!

Byebye bingo wings

Hi,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice, although I am going to my doctors next week.

I've been SSing now for just over 3 months and lost almost 5 stone and love this diet whole heartedly! I still want to lose another 3-4 stone to take me to target, but recently I have been incredibly light headed and have been experiencing blindness in one eye momentarily if I walk up stairs or stand up too quick etc. It's starting to worry me and I'm wondering if I need to introduce some food for a while to see if it gets any better?

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what should I do? I don't want to pack in the diet, but I was thinking I might do 1000 just for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance! :)

Never experienced anything like that sorry can't give you any advice except go to see your GP like you are going to do next week. Hope you get it sorted out soon hun....xxx

I still want to lose another 3-4 stone to take me to target, but recently I have been incredibly light headed and have been experiencing blindness in one eye momentarily if I walk up stairs or stand up too quick etc. It's starting to worry me and I'm wondering if I need to introduce some food for a while to see if it gets any better?

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what should I do? I don't want to pack in the diet, but I was thinking I might do 1000 just for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.

I've been a little dizzy and light-headed for the past couple of days when I get up quickly and it can knock you about for a few mins.

I haven't had any of the momentary blindness though - thankfully - that sounds a bit scary to me. Although you are going to your GP I would probably also go and visit an Optician and have the health of your eyes looked at. It's probably something and nothing but best to be sure - it might not be that you temporaily go blind but that you feel you do when you go dizzy as you might be just on the verge of fainting.

Years ago when I last did CD after a few months I did start to get hypos where my blood sugar fell. I am not diabetic but my body told me that I was desperate for a sugarshot so I used to have a few gulps out of a hot chocolate drink at work. Maybe if it happens when it's near to a meal break you could try having a hot chocolate shake?

Hi,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice, although I am going to my doctors next week.

I've been SSing now for just over 3 months and lost almost 5 stone and love this diet whole heartedly! I still want to lose another 3-4 stone to take me to target, but recently I have been incredibly light headed and have been experiencing blindness in one eye momentarily if I walk up stairs or stand up too quick etc. It's starting to worry me and I'm wondering if I need to introduce some food for a while to see if it gets any better?

Hi, I'm just a bit concerned as you say you have SSing for 3 months. Wondering if you have had your AAMW's along the way..You should not be on SS continuously for that length of time.

Could be postural hypotension, it's good that you're going to the doctor just to be sure. As a matter of course I get spots before my eyes other visual disturbances and light headedness when I stand up (or sit down for that matter - I'm not on a VLCD though).

And yes, as already stated you should have the AAMW every 5th week.

Hi, I had all your symptoms which are very scary since being on VLCDs!!!

Mine was caused by Low Blood Pressure.

The doc said get up slowly and drink plenty of water. It only happens occasionally now.

I think you should see your GP to get a definate diagnosis though.

Take Care

Dawn xx

hi bingo wings

I get temporary blindness and terrible dizzyness and shaking every time I stand up quickly and have done ever since I started this diet 106 days ago. It is absolutely awful but I put up with it cos I've lost nearly 5 stone. I go to my GP every four weeks and she is not worried about it at all...like Dawn said, it's down to low blood pressure. If I keep hydrated and remember to stand up slowly (which I don't) I'm fine. It is very scary tho! I can completely sympathise with you. I would still speak to your own GP tho! But you are not alone....I had a dizzy fit when I stood up in a work meeting today and it was very embarrassing!

I wonder if my dizzy spells have been caused by my blood pressure? I just put it down to being on the diet and getting up too fast. I don't think my BP is excessively low but recently I had it taken and it was 109/68 which the GP said was a bit low.

Hi, i haven't started the diet yet, but i get dizzyness, and blurry eyed quite often I put it down to not drinking enough water, i am always being told by doctors that i am very dehydrated. This is something i am working on before i start the diet next week. But like others have said you should def see what the doc says. x

People who are overweight can suffer from "essential hypertension"which is high blood pressure.You may not even have been aware of it. When you lose weight your blood pressue will drop.Standing up quickly can cause your BP to be temporarily low and this would cause the dizziness and visual disturbances, Like Debs said this postural hypotension.Drink plenty and get up more carefully.Get your BP checked by your practice nurse.Get them to do it lying and standing to see if there is a big difference.

Alex

Back