Help I need a make over!!!

Foo Fan

Gold Member
Hi Guys,

I need some help, advise and beauty tips.

I'm feeling sorry for my self at the moment :cry:My other half has lost his job (as some of you may know) so we're really stuggling with money at the moment...

I'm at the stage where none of my old clothes fit - I was a size 18/20 - I'm now 12.. I have some size 14 clothes that I can still wear - but i feel so scruffy! And I'm not in a position to buy anything new. (Plus I've still got 20lbs to lose and dont want to waist money on size 12 clothes incase I end up being a smaller size)

I also suffer with psoriasis and at the moment it's very bad (cos of stress) and my skin has got a lot of breakouts - I feel like I shouldnt be stepping out of the house.

So I need your help!! Any tips you have to make look a bit better would be gr8 (low cost if possible lol)

Any advise would be gr8!!!!!

Why don't you contact your local college and offer yourself up as a beauty/hair "victim" for the students' practical sessions? It probably won't cost you anything, and they always need people! :) (You could probably get a massage too - they will always make you feel good.)

A friend of mine always does this - you only get the more senior students and a teacher is always hovering around to check up on them.

As for clothes, do try charity shops - I trawl my local ones regularly now and have picked up some amazing stuff (a full-skirted dress and skirt for a pound each? Can't be bad! ;)).

Last edited:
Thanks for your message :) :)

Good idea - I've just given 2 bads full of clothes to the charity shop this week - I didnt thing of looking there myself! I was also thinking of asking a family member to pay for a haircut for my birthday - so the collage is a gr8 idea (but are they off for the summer holidays??)

Mobile hairdressers are cheaper because they can keep their costs down so see if you can find someone to come to you.

Get the sewing box out lol :) Or that iron on hem stuff to take in some of your clothes to do you for now, Or shop in Primark to get a few smaller bits to get you by for now.

Make up trials are often free in bigger stores like Debenhams.... especially if you ask them to demonstrate their products on you as you've never used them before.... Great when you're going for a special night out.

Also, go see the Personal Shopper at Debenhams. It's a free service and you're not obliged to buy. Basically tell her you've lost weight and have no idea what fashion will suit you now, she'll go get everything for you and style you in her own fitting area. Then when you have all those hints go to the cheapy cheapy shops and see what you can find.

Pollish your nails too....fingers and toes :) to feel groomed and always do your eyebrows...pluck them yourself. Or go have them done once and then you can follow the line yourself.

Sorry..... i love all things girlie. have fun hun x

Thats just the ideas I needed - I think I'll try and do the makeup thing on monday :) I'm going with my mum window shopping then - maybe she can buy me some foundation for my birthday :)

Thanks for the gr8 advise!!!

Pleasure. Take some photos's too :) Ask for make up tips too so you can learn how to do it at home. Let us know how you get on. Enjoy x

Mobile hairdressers are cheaper because they can keep their costs down so see if you can find someone to come to you.

Get the sewing box out lol :) Or that iron on hem stuff to take in some of your clothes to do you for now, Or shop in Primark to get a few smaller bits to get you by for now.

Make up trials are often free in bigger stores like Debenhams.... especially if you ask them to demonstrate their products on you as you've never used them before.... Great when you're going for a special night out.

Also, go see the Personal Shopper at Debenhams. It's a free service and you're not obliged to buy. Basically tell her you've lost weight and have no idea what fashion will suit you now, she'll go get everything for you and style you in her own fitting area. Then when you have all those hints go to the cheapy cheapy shops and see what you can find.

Pollish your nails too....fingers and toes :) to feel groomed and always do your eyebrows...pluck them yourself. Or go have them done once and then you can follow the line yourself.

Sorry..... i love all things girlie. have fun hun x

Lots of brilliant ideas there SS but sorry I'm not a fan of the Debenham's one. Sure it's a no obligation trial but those people do have targets etc to meet and it's not really fair to them if you are just wasting their time.

A friend of a friend owns a running shop and is fastidious in helping people get the right shoe. That part of his service used to be free and there was a ridiculous number of people who really took the piss and never had any intention of buying from him i.e get good shoe fitted then find somewhere on the Internet to buy for cheaper. Now he charges £20 which people get back straight away if they buy shoes off him and the number of people wanting evals has dropped by 30%. That really says somethign imho.

*gets off soap box* x

Hi Laura,
I was a Personal Shopper in Debenhams and another store before that before I got into my music career. :) I loved that job and never ever did a hard sale on any of my clients. That's not the purpose of the service. If you're good enough at your job (which I was :) ) those clients will remember you and come back when they do need to purchase something. Yes we needed to keep up sales targets but never ever pushed clients into buying. I never had any time wasters and in fact most customers are scared of trying these services out because they feel they need to buy.

Seriously Personal Shoppers usually are Personal Shoppers because they love styling people and love shopping themselves. That's what they are there for :)

Not meaning to sound like i'm on my high horse but i have a lot of experience with Personal Shopping Services which is why I said it.

xxx

Hello Foo Fan

I read in the newspaper today that Bobbi Brown cosmetics will do a free 45 minutes consultation. Some of the Clarins counters are also offering 3 small free skin care samples as part of a short consultation (there are usually little red bags on participating counters to indicate this offer is available). My local Debenhams will give 3 perfume samples per enquirer.
Ok, my cover is blown - I frequently ask around for samples in the department stores and find that sales staff are very nice. Its a quick and free way to boost self-esteem and feel as if you have had a little (free) spree.

Hi Laura,
I was a Personal Shopper in Debenhams and another store before that before I got into my music career. :) I loved that job and never ever did a hard sale on any of my clients. That's not the purpose of the service. If you're good enough at your job (which I was :) ) those clients will remember you and come back when they do need to purchase something. Yes we needed to keep up sales targets but never ever pushed clients into buying. I never had any time wasters and in fact most customers are scared of trying these services out because they feel they need to buy.

Seriously Personal Shoppers usually are Personal Shoppers because they love styling people and love shopping themselves. That's what they are there for :)

Not meaning to sound like i'm on my high horse but i have a lot of experience with Personal Shopping Services which is why I said it.

xxx

Not on your high horse at all, and to be honest, I'm pretty surprised that PSers don't have higher targets.

Okay people, you are allowed to do that in Debenhams but not in running shops. How's that? :)

Night !

Hahahahhahha Laura I think with a name like Blingbabe...we should just all listen to her lol. Night hun. Messaged you on your thread xxx

Thanks all - gr8 ideas!!

if you have long hair (your profile suggests so) then maybe look in the local hairdressers and see if they want models, I've done it before (when my hair was long) and they didn't charge me, and I had a say in so much as saying 'no more than 4 inches off and not pink/green' etc.
And I went to the Trafford Centre and got a make over thingy from the make up selling peeps in the department stores, they is usually one or two that are doing it, they did all my skin type and everythings

HTH
and well done on your losses, brilliant

x

Hiya
I've been to student days in local hairdressers and they were fab - I did used to go the local college and they are so well supervised, not sure whether they'd be allowed to cut all your hair off!!

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to buy new clothes - because the rate we lose weight on CD, the new clothes will be too big for you in a couple of weeks. I had to buy new work trousers when i could no longer walk down the corridor without having to hold my trousers up!!

I bought trousers from Tescos... and Matalan had a fab sale and I bought loads of stuff for work... but I know I won't be in them long, so i wasn't willing to spend loads of money. (My best friend who is losing weight on LL is chuffed - she's getting all my bigger clothes... she is actively encouraging me to buy new, knowing she'll get them eventually!!)

If you need stuff now... you need to look in places like primark, peacocks, new look, asda, tescos and sainsburys!! These places are cheap anyway, and there are always sales and reduced rails. I've bought loads in these places... i hate spending money on clothes - but that could be a throwback from being v. fat and not finding anything to wear...

I think i may be getting out of that way of thinking...!!

Hopefully you'll get some nice things for your birthday!!

Lynne
x

Hey Foofan, here's one for ya!!! lol.....I'm gonna try shrinking some of my too big tops that i love lol. I'll let you know if it works..... that's def a cheap option :) xxx

Back