HELP! Keeping the weight off!!

and

Silver Member
So as some of you may know I've been doing VLCDs on and off for the past 3-4 years.

I started at about 14-15 stones (I forget now) and stuck to LT for 5 weeks and got to round the 12 stones mark.

Now here comes my issue. I've never put THAT weight on again but I've done VLCDs about 5-6 times since. The lowest I've been is round the 10.5st mark. My goal is 9.5 stones.

Every single time I stop I go back to 12-12.5 stones. I just can't seem to keep the weight off. I have zero self discipline. I have joined a weight management class that starts next week but am still worried. So in the last 3 years I've yo-yoed between 12.5 and 10.5 stones every few months!

Tips, hints... HOW can I stop eating so much when I am not dieting? I really want to learn to maintain. This is a huge issue for me and it's starting to get me down.

HELP PEOPLE!

I think when you stop any diet you have to start a new one (sort of), the new diet being calorie and portion controlled, but rather than thinking of it as a diet you just have to think of it as a lifestyle change. Have you thought about slimming world or something like that? I think there is even a specific 'maintaining' slimming world forum on here. They teach you portion control, how to eat healthy, while also still having treats once in a while without going overboard. It soon becomes just healthy habits that become ingrained in you and after a while it really doesn't seem like a diet at all, it just seems like you're making better, healthier choices. Maybe the group meetings would keep you on the right track, getting weighed each week with everyone can be a good motivation. I hope whichever weight management class you have chosen works out for you. :)

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. :)

I think when you stop any diet you have to start a new one (sort of), the new diet being calorie and portion controlled, but rather than thinking of it as a diet you just have to think of it as a lifestyle change. Have you thought about slimming world or something like that? I think there is even a specific 'maintaining' slimming world forum on here. They teach you portion control, how to eat healthy, while also still having treats once in a while without going overboard. It soon becomes just healthy habits that become ingrained in you and after a while it really doesn't seem like a diet at all, it just seems like you're making better, healthier choices. Maybe the group meetings would keep you on the right track, getting weighed each week with everyone can be a good motivation. I hope whichever weight management class you have chosen works out for you. :)

I completely agree, it's a lifesytle change and I have unfortunatly resigned myself to the fact that even after I move off my VLCD I will be going to something like diet chef (expensive yes, but cheaper than the constant take aways and meals out I would be tempted to get instead). Either that or followig the 80-20 rule and reducing how often I have carbs etc.

GOOD LUCK!!

I totally agree; as soon as I come off vlcd and do my refeeding - I am going back on Weight Watchers. Not only for the healthier lifestyle, but for the discipline of the weekly weigh-in to keep me on track!

Kirbygirl I just said the very same thing to my o/h, because when i did WW years ago my weight loss was slow (0.5-1lb a week) which is why i opted for VLCD this time as ive got 36lbs to loss and i want to be at goal before next xmas!! lol, but WW was great for teaching healthier eating and portion sizes and I think portion size is my main problem :( . So when i get to my goal I'm planning on switching back to WW to help me maintain x

Last edited:
Back