Help me understand...

I also think you need to have the super free on your plate.

The reasoning behind having a 1/3 super free is that the SF veg/fruit has a low energy density, which means that they are high in water and low in calories.

Taken from Internet:

Choosing foods that are high in water and fiber and low in density allows dieters to enjoy larger, more satisfying portions, and to lose weight without feeling hungry. For example, consider grapes vs. raisins: 100 calories of grapes is about two cups, but for the same number of calories, you only get 1/4 cup of raisins. It makes sense that two cups of grapes would be more satisfying than a few tablespoons of raisins.

If you physically put the 1/3 of super free on your plate first then there isn't much room for other types of food.

The one thing that helps me is that I buy a bag of frozen mixed veg and then just throw a couple of handfuls in a microwave steam bag and in 1 min my veg is ready.

Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain. It is this enzyme which stops jelly from setting properly when you put fresh pineapple in it. You can use canned pineapple in jellies because the enzyme is destroyed by the heat in the canning process.

Bromelain is also used as a meat tenderiser. But most of the bromelain is in the stem of the pineapple, not the flesh.

I'm sure that the 1/3 superfree thing is there to take out the weighing and measuring thing that you get on other diets. Having it on the plate naturally reduces portion size of the other free foods, but you arent necessarily being made acutely aware of it - hence why slimming world can push the eat as much as you like with no weighing and measuring approach.

I try to stick with the all on one plate approach so that I know that by using 1/3 of the plate for superfree, I naturally cant have enough of the other things (usually meat and potato/pasta/rice as I'm on EE). Course that doesnt quite work with things where the superfree is part of the sauce/recipe - sometimes I'll assume that 1/3 is within that part of the meal, occasionally I'll have a few bits of broccoli on the side as well.

Back