Help needed from Vegetarian/Pescatarian SW members

ExistentialBandit

Hi everyone! I first lost 8st on SW Red years and years ago. I maintained for a few years, did Extra Easy and then a series of unfortunate events knocked me off that leaderboard. This time around, unfortunately due to a health issue, I have to lose weight without eating meat. I will have fish but I do not always fancy it.

Anyway, I just worried about something a person said about low carbs being the way to slim and the fact that I had followed Red Days was because I was essentially cutting out pasta, potatoes and other starchy veg. I'm so confused that it is getting me down a bit. Do any of you have any tips that will negate this or circumvent this problem?

Hi everyone! I first lost 8st on SW Red years and years ago. I maintained for a few years, did Extra Easy and then a series of unfortunate events knocked me off that leaderboard. This time around, unfortunately due to a health issue, I have to lose weight without eating meat. I will have fish but I do not always fancy it.

Anyway, I just worried about something a person said about low carbs being the way to slim and the fact that I had followed Red Days was because I was essentially cutting out pasta, potatoes and other starchy veg. I'm so confused that it is getting me down a bit. Do any of you have any tips that will negate this or circumvent this problem?
Hi, EB, I'm sorry you were feeling down, and I hope you've found some solutions. I'm pescetarian, and lost 2 stones with SW a while back, and I'm trying to do it again now, post lockdown-bereavement-health-problems.
I've noticed this time round, SW is pushing more towards protein, but I know it does work if you want to eat pasta and potatoes!
But here are some veggie protein suggestions:
Eggs - omelette, frittata, poached, boiled, scrambled, egg 'mayo' with quark or yogurt, try different slices like cumin or paprika, cowboy eggs (big frying pan of thick tomato and veg sauce, then break eggs on the top to poach, soufflés
Cheese sauce - either make a bechamel and syn it, or you can make a yogurt sauce with 1/3 big pot of yogurt per egg, heat it v slowly and stir, the egg will cook and thicken it. Add blue, smoked, strong cheddar, etc. Or you can melt laughing cow cheese triangles.
Cheese generally - haloumi makes a good meat substitute, eg with salad - hex A plus syns. Sliced mozzarella and tomato with basil is good.
Meat replacements - I'm not that bothered about these as one of the reasons I went veggie/pescatarian is I went off meat, but I do like a veggie sausage, and it may be worth exploring if you're short on variety.
Smoked salmon, smoked mackerel (syns) tinned fish is a very different experience from fresh!
Nuts - I think you can use hazelnuts for hex B.
Mushrooms - are a good source of protein and for things where I used to use mince as a base, eg spaghetti sauce, I now use diced and fried mushrooms and onions. A big portobello mushroom in a wholemeal bun is a fun burger substitute.
Cauliflower and broccoli are both good veg for protein. You could try a cauliflower steak. I love roast cauliflower, especially with some chopped nuts, and it goes well with haloumi.
Pulses - beans, chick peas, lentils. They make a good basis for veggie patties or burgers. Add chopped veg and use egg to bind.
Hope that's given you some ideas. The Easy Green cook book has some good recipes in, but they're mainly one pot meals, and it sounds to me like you're looking for suggestions to replace the meat in 'meat and two veg.' I admit, I've struggled with this one, and usually end up having salmon!

Back