help needed..Weight loss & breastfeeding

I'm bf and just joined weight watchers, you get an additional 14 points per day if you are exclusively breastfeeding which is great :) some days I struggle to use them all as I get 44 a day.

I'm only on my first week so can't give feedback yet as to how I'm getting on, but at least it's making me think more about what I'm eating. I'm 3 stone heavier than my pre pregnancy weight, it made me so sad that I changed my scales to kg as it was upsetting to see in stone :( I didn't weigh myself for about 3 months after giving birth, wish id done it sooner to give me the kickstart to losing weight! I was eating loads of naughty foods just as they were so convenient and quick to grab so I've really cut back. Fingers crossed I stick at it!

Well done Georgia.
You have started now and will soon be on the way to a slimmer you.
Can i ask............Did you lose any from just exclusively bf'ing? Also is it true that ww is now lower in carbs too?

Thank you :)

I wouldn't say so, I think maybe if I was watching what I was eating from the beginning combined with the bf I would have lost it quicker - I read somewhere that bf made the weight drop off so I stupidly didn't consider my food choices and wondered why I wasn't losing anything. At least now I know I need to eat relatively carefully too. The bf makes me really flush and warm all the time so hopefully that works in my favour (I read in tracy anderson's plan that if you want to lose weight quicker exercise in a warm room - so hoping that has the same effects? Lol.)

I'm only on week one of WW so not very clued up on it. Carbswise i know - Slice of white toast has 2 points, but a serving of rice/cous cous has 6 in (I thought cous cous was mega healthy I'd been eating loads). If i wasnt bf id only get 30 points a day so 6 points for rice is quite a chunk of your allowance. Carbs are cOnsidered when calculating points in an item too, as you have to look up protein, carbs and fat to work out how many pro points are in the item? Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The one thing i remember from ww (but this was about 7yrs ago when i got married) is that 1 aftereight mint was 1/2 a point! Lol
Im not sure if its still done on the same concept but it used to be fat and cal combined that would five you the certain amount of points.
Hope your first week goes well. A lady at the school lost 6lb last week!

Can i join you on here? I used to do atkins and dont think thats safe with bf. My baby is due in Jan so i have time to consider what diet is going to be best for me. The only problem is that i cant get to a club and have a 4yr old taking up my time too. Any ideas ladies? I need to get my head around what im doing first or i will just go off the rails within a matter of days.

What about following WW online? Not sure how much it is but I've got the app on my iPhone and it's great for tracking your points and weight each week and you can set which day you like for your weigh in?

Well being doing SW now for 4 weeks and have lost 9 1/2lb and am stll bf, am eatting that much that i find that the sweet cravings are nowhere near as bad as they were. my only grump is that i didn't start this earlier as i think combined with exclusive bf the weight would have come off a lot quicker when dd was exclusively on milk, but hey ho if we decide to have another one i would follow the plan all the way through.

You are doing great, dont have any regrets your daughter could be three or more before you even started, you be at your goal in no time!!

Well done Vic thats a great loss. Bet you are begining to feel it now too?
Im growing by the second! It doesnt help that i constantly feel like i want to eat. Im forever hungry now. I hope its not like this until she pops out!

How far gone are you Cheryl? I felt like i was eating non stop when I was pregnant digestives and hob nobs especially in the early days to combat the sickness! Then at the end I was munching gaviscon like they were Sweeties!

i was the same with both but luckily it was good things in my first pregnancy like fruit so i think i actually weighed less than when i started! but the second time round it was all sugar cravings for the quick energy fix.

How far gone are you Cheryl? I felt like i was eating non stop when I was pregnant digestives and hob nobs especially in the early days to combat the sickness! Then at the end I was munching gaviscon like they were Sweeties!

Im 30wks this sun. With all my pregnancies ive not really had any sickness just the nausea. The first pregnancy was the worst right up to 14wks i felt really sick.

i was the same with both but luckily it was good things in my first pregnancy like fruit so i think i actually weighed less than when i started! but the second time round it was all sugar cravings for the quick energy fix.

With my son it was bacon sarnies lol. With this one i went off chicken, couldnt touch it at all. Had a real thing for carby foods. Supernoodles was one! Now its anything lemon or just a wedge of lime lol

Back