Help please am desperate as to what to do now : (

Some people are more vulnerable when following a VLCD - it's not the fact that it's Lighter Life. It's the fact that some people's bodies/genetics make such dramatic loss/calorie deficiency harder to handle. It could have been on any diet. There are other factors to consider before pointing fingers at LL alone (such as poor health before the diet, things done while on the diet, etc).

One of the deaths on LL - happened to a poor lady who died from a weak heart. However, the coroner said it was inconclusive whether the diet contributed at all. Such conditions are existent with obesity or in people generally.

Another death was due to someone drinking too much water - while tragic - LL did not force that water down them. People are people and need to use common sense.

If you feel bad on a VLCD and not at all normal seek medical advice sooner rather than later and do not force yourself. Always assess and re-evaluate. :)

Last edited:
People haven't died because of LL they've died while they've been following the plan but for other reasons. Ofcourse the media love to blame 'fad' diets. I bet loads of people have died when they've been on WW or SW but there's no story in that for the media to pounce on.

As Minerva says the deaths were for other reasons

Ahhhhh good!!! Well not good that these things have happened but good to know vlcds can't cause death!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Didnt mean to scare you lol. Im not good with words. i did read somewhere that both fat and muscle goes whilst you so a vlcd once fat has gone and once you are below your bmi there is a high risk that muscles end up disappearing and your heart is one of them, also read that when someone collapsed whilst doing LL autopsy stated heart was small but result was inconclusive.

If I was scared of that I wouldn't be doing this. So don't worry but as soon as you near healthy bmi start moving up the plans.

Oh blimey lol well I'm 11 stone and to just scrape into my healthy Bmi it's 9.5 stone so I think I'll be ok for now :) I have plenty of fat untill it gets to my muscle hopefully lol xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just to get a little perspective - check out the possible side effects in a regular pack of paracetemol - a painkiller so safe you can take it while pregnant. Everybody knows how safe it is, and in what type of circumstance it's not - but if you thought all the listed side effects were likely you wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!

You always lose muscle when you diet because you don't need as much to move your weight around anymore. As long as you eat enough protein (which the packs contain) then you won't lose any more than you can afford to(!). If you don't have all of your packs and aren't getting enough protein then your body will use your muscles instead - leading to muscle wastage.

This thread has kind of scared the sh*t out of me. Dying!! Obviously I continued reading and was later reassured, but seriously, I nearly had a heart attack! (snigger snigger cos I have a sick sense of humour)

Back