Help please! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Anna_B, 12 August 2007 Social URL.

1. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    I'm on day 5 of SS & am in ketosis.

I've got pins & needles in my lips, eyelids & hands. My hands keep going a bit blue. I'm feeling a bit light headed.

I'm not dehydrated & I've not over done the water either & so far today we've just had a very lazy day at home.

Any ideas? It's not plesant.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. wannabslim

wannabslim Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.61%)
    Diet:
    I'm not dieting, I'm on the pregnancy diet!
    Sorry Anna I cant help there but I'm sure someone will be along. Maybe send a PM to icemoose or one of the other CDCs on here, they will know I'm sure! Didnt want to read this without writing a response, just sorry I dont know the answer to this one :-( xxx

4. Splash

Splash Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st10lb
    Current Weight:
    21st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(3.29%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Hi, in the first week I got pins and needles in my fingers, toes and lips aswell. I found that even walking upstairs set it off and took things very quietly at first. Just finished week 4 and feel brilliant, full of energy and no tingling. Oh and I tried to do a weekly shop on about day 9 and got half way round and had to sit down. Just back from supermarket today and feel fine. I put it down to my body getting used to ketosis.

5. fatpossum

fatpossum Silver Member

Hi,

I think you do need some expert advice on this but for what it's worth I experienced a numb sensation in my face and lips when I started on LL and I know that others did too as I read about it on the LL forum. While I had cold hand and feet they did not turn blue so we'll wait to see what advice you get about this one.

Mine abated after a while once I got into the swing of things. I must say that there were times when I felt very unwell indeed but I think that this is to be expected.

Try not to worry - not doubt the advice will be forthcoming.

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I've sent a request to some CDCs for this one. Hopefully someone will be on shortly :)

7. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    Thanks everyone. I really don't feel right.

8. sonkie

sonkie Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    measure up
    I have had this a couple of times now since starting a vlcd. The last was last week as I had a good week.....lol.
    It started off with my baby finger then worked across my fingers missing out my thumb.....then went to my lips and chin.....its not pleasant but it has gone and not happened again.

9. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    I'm glad it's not just me. I'm feeling very light headed & my hands keep going a shade of blue. The pins & needles are spreading, my face, hands, even in my mouth.

10. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Doesn't seem to be any CDCs around at the moment, but I've just done a search on another forum and there are a few that have mentioned this.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest until someone comes along

11. fatpossum

fatpossum Silver Member

Sometimes when I walk briskly (which I love to do and do a lot) I often get a numb sensation around my mouth and lips and sometimes the chin.

This is only since being on a VLCD

12. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    I've just remembered! I used to have that around my lips. Thought I was having a stroke at the time :rolleyes: Had forgotten all about that.

13. canireallydothis!!

canireallydothis!! Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge!
    I get it in my left arm, my arm goes numb and I get pins and needles starting in my little finger.

It is obviously something that people get, however your cdc could also ring CD HQ and ask advice, wont be till tomorrow though.

14. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Sorry honey, none of my clients have reported this to me so I can't help. I would recommend your CDC phone the Medical Officer at CD HQ first thing tomorrow to find out for you. :hug99:

15. fatpossum

fatpossum Silver Member

Can't put my experiences down to stroke (thankfully!!) but I do know that the early stages of ketosis and being in ketosis coming up to a period brings about some weird and wonderful sensations!

Can't wait for the official feedback on this one. We'll probably find out that we all need to go and lie in darkened rooms and be fed ice cream by nubile young men in loin cloths ........................

............ see what ketosis can do ..............? :D

16. fingers crossed

fingers crossed Silver Member

I've had cramp type pains from time to time over my CD journey & was told that its all to do with salts. Not sure if this applies to numbness too.

17. Brad0053

Brad0053 Silver Member

Sorry I never saw this earlier.

None of my clients has ever reported these symptoms to this degree of discomfort before.

You should contact your CDC as soon as you can to allow him/her to look into it for you.

However, if you are getting concerned about your health right now, you might want to seek medical advice yourself. It might not be diet related at all.

Best wishes and good luck

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    As daft as this might sound I'm now 99% sure what's causing the pins & needles etc....my back!

It started to really hurt in the night, if I lay in a more comfortable position the pins & needles improved, if my back really hurt they got worse. It's very uncomfortable this morning, painful if I'm not careful how I move & I can literally feel things being pinched.

I'll call in at the walk in clinic at our GP's just to make sure but I'll be very surprised if they say something different. I know some of it could be CD related but I'd say at least 90% of the problems is because I've put my back out.

Thanks for all your support, I'll let you know what the GP says.

20. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    I've just got back from the GP's, I was lucky enough to see my GP in the walk in clinic.....

I have messed up my back, that wasn't hard to diagnose! However my blood pressure was also very low, so low she said I was lucky I hadn't fainted. She wasn't too thrilled with me after doing my BP, heart rate etc so wants to run some tests. Going a bit blue isn't healthy apparently :(

She didn't put it down to the CD but did tell me to stop straight away until we knew what was going on. She is fully supportive of CD so not one of these doctors who would just jump in & blame it. Also I was on CD last year & had none of these problems then.

You can imagine how I feel about stopping CD. After getting DH behind me I now have to tell him I've got to stop for a while, I can just imagine what he's going to say!

I'm not worried about my health. I'm sure it will turn out to be nothing serious, in the mean time I've been told to take things easy.

21. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

Pins and needles in the first week or so can be due to the water shift between cells and the salts (sodium, potassium) inbalance. During the early stages there is rapid water transferring between the cells.

The best thing is to drink more water.

This could also be an allergic reaction, however, as you have used CD before that is unlikely.

I note you have been to the GP do you have to come off CD completely or can you follow one of the other programmes for a couple of weeks until further tests have been carried out.

Linda

22. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    Hi Linda

I didn't even think about going on a different programme at the time. I'll see if I can find my book later & I'll ask my GP about it.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.