Help please.....syn counting....

Hi everyone, today was the first day of SW for me...and I could really do with some help keeping me on the right tracks....
Today I have had the following:

Breakfast
3 x rasher of quorn smoky bacon
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
2 x scrambled eggs (cooked dry)

Apple
100ml orange juice

Lunch
4 x quorn sausages
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 x mullerlight

Tea
1 x steak and boiled spinach
3 x nimble bread
3 x laughing cow extra light triangles
marmite

banana
3 x percy pig sweets

How does this sound for my first red day?

Any comments appreciated!
:flirt2:

I've only been on the plan for a few weeks, but that looks fine. What is the percy pig sweets? Are they counting as a Syn? Also I was under the impression that only 2 pieces of Nimble bread were allowed as a Healthy Extra- can anyone advise? Sorry don't have the book at hand at the moment.

hi, thanks for helping....the pig sweets i have tried to guess the syn value as cant find how their sin value (they are just a bit bigger than a 50p piece) about 35 kcals in each I think.....
i also had 3 x cups of tea with SS milk...
cheers

The quorn bacon is either6.5 or 7 syns per 150gms (depends whether it is chilled or frozen ) Not all quorn products are free. orange juice is also high in syns. Why are you doing red if you are not eating meat ?? percy pigs are 1 syn each.

Are you doing SW using the books or going to a class or anything?!

Best thing for newbies is to read and digest all the info in the books and plan what you're going to eat so you know you're getting all the right healthy extras, what you need to syn, and what the free foods are.

But good on you for getting stuck in :)

Here are my comments on your day:

Breakfast
3 x rasher of quorn smoky bacon - Needs to be synned

1/2 tin chopped tomatoes - ok
2 x scrambled eggs (cooked dry) - ok

Apple - ok
100ml orange juice - unsweetened is
2½ syns per 28ml

Lunch
4 x quorn sausages ok as long as they're the plain ones, bangers, not flavoured.
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes ok
1 x mullerlight ok, as long as it's a plain flavour, not a fruit layer one.

Tea
1 x steak and boiled spinach - must be lean, with any fat trimmed off.
3 x nimble bread B choice is 2 slices. You must syn the other slice, which is
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2½ syn[/FONT]
3 x laughing cow extra light triangles - that's half an A choice.
marmite

banana
3 x percy pig sweets
- 1 syn each.

It's not bad for a start but, aren't you hungry? More veggies with your dinner, more fruit snacks. Watch the syns and healthy extras. Red days are good if they suit you, but don't be afraid of green and extra easy!

hmmm day 2 has been eventful!!
For some silly reason I jumped on the scales this morning to be 1/4lb heavier....should I ignore this and wait until a wk has passed before I weigh in?

Food for today has been:

3 x quorn sausages
2 x poached eggs
2 x nimble bread
1 x tbsp tomato ketchup
1 x banana
5 x percy pigs
3 x black coffee
1 x beetroot
1/2 pack Quorn chicken pieces
1 cup of SW no syn coleslaw
1 x muller light

This seems like loads of food...am I doing something wrong?

Sorry, but any advice greatly appreciated!

IGNORE THE WEIGHT !!!!!! As for the food plan fab but can't work out what day you are doing. Either way you would benefit from more fruit and veggies and have you drunk any water or just caffeinated drinks (this could make you retain fluid and hence the change in weight)

hi thanks so much for that...i will hold off the scales until 1 wk has passed...i have drunk a lot of coffee so will focus on drinking a couple of litres of water (maybe with some fresh lime added)...i have done 2 x red days
i desparately want to shed 3 stone (currently 14.3 stones and 5ft 10....is this possible?

hi thanks so much for that...i will hold off the scales until 1 wk has passed...i have drunk a lot of coffee so will focus on drinking a couple of litres of water (maybe with some fresh lime added)...i have done 2 x red days
i desparately want to shed 3 stone (currently 14.3 stones and 5ft 10....is this possible?
Absolutley possible .Plan each day and not look way way ahead because you might get disappointed if your weight doesn't come off quickly. I have taken the scenic route losing only half to one pound a week xx

brill thanks....how much should i expect to lose in my first wk?
also, have a meal out at La Tasca on friday followed by a boozing session....arrghh any advice?
xx

Hi! You might like to think about starting a food diary in the sub-forum at the top of the main page. You'll also find it a bit easier if you plan out your day, indicating your HEs and synned foods. Take a look at some other people's diaries for inspiration and ideas. Just one question though - why are you doing red days if you're not eating meat/fish? You're having quorn sausages and pieces when you could be having chicken and proper sausages.

hi, i opted for quorn bangers cos they are free..yes defo need to start a food diary...how much weight should i loose in wk 1?

i've got 3 stone to shed in 5 months...is this feasible?
xx

hmmm day 2 has been eventful!!
For some silly reason I jumped on the scales this morning to be 1/4lb heavier....should I ignore this and wait until a wk has passed before I weigh in?

Food for today has been:

3 x quorn sausages
2 x poached eggs
2 x nimble bread
1 x tbsp tomato ketchup
1 x banana
5 x percy pigs
3 x black coffee
1 x beetroot
1/2 pack Quorn chicken pieces
1 cup of SW no syn coleslaw
1 x muller light

This seems like loads of food...am I doing something wrong?

Sorry, but any advice greatly appreciated!

You need to syn the tomatoe ketchup and the pigs and depending on what flavour muller you have had, some of them are syned now. The rest looks fine but you need more fruit and vegetables with your food. Try canned tomatoes and mushrooms with your breakfast they will count towards veg intake and it would help if you let us know what day you are doing eg red, green or extra easy, and keep off the scales, only weigh once a week.

what are you having with the quorn, just the coleslaw. If so, its not enough, have a jacket potato or some rice or pasta with it together with a salad. I know it sounds like a load of food but honestly, it works just dont think about it.

Yes, looks ok so far. All I would say is try to vary your food a bit more though, you seem to be eating similar things each day and I am also confused as to why you are doing red days when you don't appear to be eating any meat.

Try and get a lot more vegetables and fruit (not juiced or pureed) into your day and drink plenty of water, fibre is great in a diet, but not good if you don't have a enough fluid alongside it, as it can make you constipated.

Things like spag bol, stews, casseroles, curries will mean you can add a lot of different vegetables into it and will also be a lot more satisfying.

and don't worry about how much you are eating. Free foods are there to be used freely, as long as you are not eating when you are not hungry then eat away ;)

You can get low syn and even syn free ordinary sausages if you wanted to use them. And the quorn sausages are free on green so you could do that instead of red.

As for losses, it's impossible to say as it depends on so many different factors such as sex, weight, activity level, what you were eating and drinking before starting SW and how strictly you have stuck to the plan. Some people lose several pounds but this will mostly all be fluid, while others will lose a pound or even stay the same. If I were you I would stop focussing on how how much you can lose and how quickly. If you're doing this properly it should be a lifestyle change and one that you will continue for the rest of your life. I know it's easier said that done but you didn't develop a weight problem overnight it crept on slowly week by week and that's how it will come off as well.

It can help to have other things to focus on such as how much exercise you can do and what the tape measure says, as these will help sustain you on those weeks when the scales don't move at all, and trust me there will be some.

But that said, three stone in five months is possible if you are willing to commit to the plan.

Good luck!

Back