Help please

Sleepy59

Hi,
I started SW just over a week ago and at my first weigh in I had lost 7lbs. I really want to keep it up and lose again this week but I am going to a wedding today and have no idea what the food will be.

I will be ok with drinking as I am driving so I can't drink anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can cope / control the food side of the day?

Cat x

A wedding is a once in a blue moon event so I think you just need to go with the flow. If you had asked earlier I would have said to find out what was on the menu and then flexi-syn the day by allowing yourself a higher number of syns. But as you have no idea what is on the menu you just need to try and make sensible choices eg not the chicken in the cream sauce with buttered mash. You can also ask for dressings to be on the side so you can control how much you eat or for veg without butter etc. There should be a lighter dessert option as well. Basically just don't go overboard and the next day just get right back on plan. You can either try and work out how many syns you have had and then cut down for the rest of the week, or you can just draw a line and get on with things. And don't feel guilty about it - it's not an every day occurence and is outwith your control. Just enjoy the wedding!

Well done on ur first huge loss. Do u have any idea what type of food they will have there? If it is buffet it should be quite easy to be good by trying to have salad, chicken etc... but it depends what is on the menu. Do u have any idea?

Hi,

I have no idea what the food is going to be. It is at a hotel so could be a sit down meal or a buffet.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to be sensible (or at least try) and then just start again tomorrow.

Cat x

I'd say enjoy the day and don't fret about the food too much.. Enjoy the day and start again tomorrow.. also regarding your drinks.. when i've been driving i drink soda water... ok so the loo is your friend but at least you get plenty of liquids inside you and this can help with the weight loss..

Have a brilliant day xx

i would take my toothbrush with me....when you feel you have eatten enough, clean your teeth and then what ever you eat after will not taste nice!

Noddynoobs said:
i would take my toothbrush with me....when you feel you have eatten enough, clean your teeth and then what ever you eat after will not taste nice!

I totally agree with this. It's what I do when I get the munchies at night + don't have. any syns to use + it really works. Hope you enjoy the day.

probably too late now, but the usual advice is have something to eat before you go as you are then fairly full and can leave most of the naughty stuff.. it's harder to do that when you're hungry..

it's also a pretty safe bet that it's a buffet since they haven't asked you what you want..
if it's a sit down they usually have a choice of 2-3 starters, meat with the main course, and deserts.. plus they probably have to offer a vegetarian option.. ( which is usually a good one to go for if they do.. )

Just enjoy the day and Juno right back on the plan the next day... You will probably not even notice a weight change, I had a curry night in my first week and I still lost that week, because I went straight back on course the day after... Have fun Xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

ColJack said:
probably too late now, but the usual advice is have something to eat before you go as you are then fairly full and can leave most of the naughty stuff.. it's harder to do that when you're hungry..

it's also a pretty safe bet that it's a buffet since they haven't asked you what you want..
if it's a sit down they usually have a choice of 2-3 starters, meat with the main course, and deserts.. plus they probably have to offer a vegetarian option.. ( which is usually a good one to go for if they do.. )

Just to say I've been to alot of weddings, and only once have we ever been given a choice for a sit down meal. So that may not be the case

That's interesting. Every single wedding I have been at has given us a choice of dishes. If you don't get a choice, what do you do if you are vegetarian? Do you just end up eating the vegetables?

I suppose it's down to what the budget is and if it's at a big restraunt / venue..
if they have 40 people and 3 choices, then that's 120 lots of food they have to have in just in case they all want the beef etc..

Circes said:
That's interesting. Every single wedding I have been at has given us a choice of dishes. If you don't get a choice, what do you do if you are vegetarian? Do you just end up eating the vegetables?

No, but if you are vegetarian you would have the common sense to let the organisers know-as with any catered event' if you didn't then you would deserve to just eat the vegetables lol!!! Surely it's just courtesy to the people arranging it-or maybe I'm just too considerate, having worked in the industry!!!

ColJack said:
I suppose it's down to what the budget is and if it's at a big restraunt / venue..
if they have 40 people and 3 choices, then that's 120 lots of food they have to have in just in case they all want the beef etc..

At my sisters wedding they had a neutral starter, beef for main with veg and fish option on request, and neutral pudding!

Just like any restaurant though on a typical nights business.

My uncles a chef and Ive asked him before how they manage to keep everything available and know whats needed but I NEVER get a direct answer lol

No, but if you are vegetarian you would have the common sense to let the organisers know-as with any catered event' if you didn't then you would deserve to just eat the vegetables lol!!! Surely it's just courtesy to the people arranging it-or maybe I'm just too considerate, having worked in the industry!!!

I guess I disagree - I would call it inconsiderate of the hosts not to provide a meat free option as a matter of course. If I had a particular food intolerance which required a special diet then I would of course make that request but vegetarianism is main stream, not a special requirement.

It's still classed as a Dietary requirement tho, being something different from the main meal. I helped organise my sisters wedding and I know that they actually charge more to offer a choice on the day, and as we are guests then surely we should accept the couples choice! I never said they shouldn't offer a veggie option, I just said that veggies normally will say that they are!

Thanks everyone.

It was a sit down set meal so there was no choice. I decided to not worry about it today. I enjoyed the meal and in the evening there was a BBQ so I had a vegie kebab, jacket potato and salad.

Back on plan tomorrow morning and hopefully I will lose this week.

Cat x

Last edited:
Back