Help! Q for LL veterans - will I be dieting for the rest of my life? :(

Beeswax

Tiny dancer
Hi all,

Apologies if this is covered on another thread but I couldn't find it...

I'm on day 7 of LL (woo!) and fully committed but have been hearing lots of talk about "I know someone who did LL and put all the weight on and more afterwards".

Does this mean after I finish LL I'm going to have to be on a low-carb, low-fat diet for the rest of my life? As opposed to eating healthily I mean.

I ask because I've maintained healthy eating/exercise habits for most of my life; it's only in the last 5 years that I've put on weight, and I know that's through unhappiness/comfort eating.

I've 3 stone to lose to get to my *ideal* weight, and when I joined LL I was given the choice of the full programme or LLL. I chose abstinence because I want to examine my food choices and get to grips with what's making me overeat.

But my plan was to complete Foundation and either move onto RTM or the LLL version of RTM, because I don't feel I need *all* the support the full programme offers.

I've been overweight for 5 years and for medical reasons I can't exercise, which got me down and I went through a really dark period. For the last year though I've been eating healthily - the way I used to when I was slim, and it felt great - more like "me" if that makes sense. Unfortunately eating healthily but doing no exercise made weight loss sloooooww, and I know I can start exercising when I've lost the initial two stone. Which was part of the attraction of joining LL.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to explain! I thought that when I finished RTM I could go back to my healthy eating ways - with everything in moderation and the occasional treat.

But now I'm worried I'll have to "diet" for the rest of my life in order to keep the weight off, and am anxious and confused.

I'm aware that I'm only one week in and I may be overthinking things, but can anyone shed some light, please?

Thanks in advance :)

- Bea

If you go back to your old habits, in your case GOOD ones, you should be fine. LL let's you learn about your BAD ones and how to deal with them.

So the answer is it's entirely down to you. You sound as though you know where you are coming from and where you want to go though. You sound similar to me in that I have always eaten healthily but I had four years, (of shear indulgence, travel and revelations that I just enjoyed too much in my case) and the weight piled on. Now I've learned to go back to old habits and moderate my 'treats', with OH too as it was all his fault! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we are female (mostly) and human and we will forever be at least watching our weight. But that's not the same as dieting, is it.;)

I think life after LL will be how you want it to be. I think we all will have a top number we won't want to pass and when we get near it we will know to cut down or do something about it. If we are able to maintain a constant weight then there will be no need to diet, but there will always be times when we over indulge for certain occasions and as long as we plan for them then I think we will be fine.

If you go back to your old habits, in your case GOOD ones, you should be fine. LL let's you learn about your BAD ones and how to deal with them.

So the answer is it's entirely down to you.

Thanks Foxtrot! That's really encouraging! I think I'm scared that doing LL will mess up my metabolism and that the minute I bite a potato I'll pile on the 3 stone again... :confused:

I have always eaten healthily but I had four years, (of shear indulgence, travel and revelations that I just enjoyed too much in my case) and the weight piled on. Now I've learned to go back to old habits and moderate my 'treats', with OH too as it was all his fault! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we are female (mostly) and human and we will forever be at least watching our weight. But that's not the same as dieting, is it.;)

I completely relate. When I got together with OH he tried to "feed me up" and I have to say he succeeded and then some. But yes, it's mostly been indulgence and comfort eating - having the things I used to think of as "treats" when I was slim almost every day.

I've really enjoyed eating "normally" and saving the treats for occasions, and would reeeeeaaaaally like to continue once I've finished LL. Basically I see the programme as resetting my size and appetite - then the hard work is all up to me.

PS: Foxtrot well done on all your loss and maintenance! That's amazing and really motivating for me back here in week one :)

Basically I see the programme as resetting my size and appetite - then the hard work is all up to me.

That's the nail on the head for me too. Having just had a most peculiar summer, I'm now resetting again after easily maintaining!! Not an impossible task and I knew it was coming way back in May when I stopped for a holiday. C'est la vie!!

beeswax said:
I think I'm scared that doing LL will mess up my metabolism and that the minute I bite a potato I'll pile on the 3 stone again... :confused:

Well, a potato won't make you gain 3 stone, but I know what you mean. If you make sure you do the RTM and slowly introduce the various foods in the way it prescribes, then you will slowly bring your metablosim back up. If you just quit LL and go back to eating whatever you want the next day then yes, chances are you'll gain weight a bit quicker for a short time as your body adjusts to the new intake.

Wether or not you have to "diet" for the rest of you life is up to you. So long as you don't exceed the calories you need each day, then there is no reason you should gain weight and therefore no need to 'diet'.

You're right that LL is only the first step (losing the weight, the easy part!) and that it is what you do afterwards that is really going to affect whether or not you stay a slim person.

The tendancy is to think that because it's come off fast its some sort of "trick", which when eating normally again, will result in all the weight piling back on.

From my experience it's not the case. I do know people who have put the weight back on, but I've done LL twice before and put the weight back on SLOWER than when I did WW!!!

Both times I decided to give up because I didn't think LL was right for me (it sort of felt like cheating!) and I was worried that the faster I lost the faster I'd put back on. So I quit and started eating with good intentions, but went back to eating like a pig.

LL time one: I lost nearly 2 stone in 4 weeks, it took me 6 months to put the weight back on (and the last three months I was making a concerted effort - not deliberately I hasten to add - but was going through emotional trauma!)

LL time 2 (May 2009): Started 4lbs heavier than LL 1, lost a stone in 2 weeks, quit with good intentions, took 6 months to put it back on.

LL 3 (Sept 2009): Started at exactly the same weight as LL2 - even LLC commented on it! But lost more weight at initial weigh in than previously.

So I know that some say you'll end up heavier than before etc. etc. but everyone is different - for example, both times I picked my metabolism up quite quickly through running after quitting - and it really is your choice, whether conciously or not, how you deal with weight and food after LL.

I would advocate RTM though - I don't want to do it, but I know I need it!

You will only put all the weight back on it you return to bad habits. ;)

I have maintained, just a week short of a year. I have days where I have naughty things. But not EVERY day.

I follow about a 80/20 rule. 80% very healthy, low fat, low carb, low gi healthy, yummy gorgeous food. And about 20% "treats" I gusess for lack of a better word.

I have a square of dark chocolate every day. But not a whole bar. for example.

I am eating pretty much what anyone else eats - about 20%, and very careful the rest of the time eating fresh, unprocessed foods.

If I want cakes, I make from scratch, etc.

No frozen, processed stuff. Mainly vegetarian - cause I prefer it - and just keeping a good balance.

I do not feel like I am dieting at all! Its fantastic. ANd feels normal.

You will need to be careful in the initial months after the diet while your body sorts itself and its metabolism out. But other then that, helathy wise, balanced choices is the way forward.

xx

hi there
ive just finished RTM and tbh am a bit all over the place at the moment.
i am worried about putting on the weight and now i can eat anything i am going from ultra healthy eating to eating crap!

now looking at the bigger picture (which is hard at times) i'm not going to put on 4 stone overnight.

i have put on 1lb since starting RTM 14 weeks ago which is OK

if i do put on weight its not the diets fault. It will be my fault for making the wrong choices.

Because its early days i suppose i am experimenting a bit - testing the boundaries - seeing what will make me put on weight etc.

i logged all my food in RTM but have stopped doing that the last couple of weeks as i really don't want to be counting calories forever - after a month if i am puttting on weight i will re-think and possibly go back to food logging as a way to control my portions

its a 'trial and error' period for me, with the back up LL sessions as a safety net.

BL, SB and Porgeous in particular give me the incentive to carry on as they are living proof it can be done

daisy x

BL, SB and Porgeous in particular give me the incentive to carry on as they are living proof it can be done

daisy x

Daisy, I still find it hard to comprehend at times, that I have actually maintained my loss, within 2 or 3 pounds for a year. In the past, I'd have given it about 2 months, and then it woudl start creeping back on. So, if I can do it, as you say - living proof - then you can to.

There is a learning curve, and you will find your groove - I have no doubt. But I would be careful with eating 'crap' right off the bat, as you say. It can be a bit like a kid in a candy shop, can't it! :)

Futher to the "will I have to be on a diet the rest of my life?" question....

I have been thinking about it, and one of the biggest things that I have found has happened, is I don;t WANT the things that made me fat. And that has become a natural way of life over this past year.

I crave APPLES, not NACHOS. I wasnt curried Lentil Stews, or Tofu Stir Fyrs, not Burgers and Chips. Those things look nice, but they are never what I fancy for a meal. I think in the past year, I have had Pizza twice. And one Burger King burger sheerly by necessity on a road trip where there were no other stops, etc. Thats it! And it has not been a struggle - not even a conscious choice - they are jut not what I desire.

So those of you that are concerned - your tastes can change, and you can find you are naturally drawn towards more healthy foods.

I don;t know if the length of time one abstains makes it easier. Or not? I had a long long break from food - just over 10 months. So that may make it easier, then those who only have 3 or 4 stone to lose? Hard to say, but would be interesting to see.

I think I panicked a little recently when I came back from hols a few pounds heavier, and then lost my cat - the trigger that got me - and that is partly why I went back into abstinance. Next time, should that happen, I feel more confident I would just ccut back and relax and realise, 10 stone are not going to pile baack on in just a couple od weeks!! LOL

But, my life is so much more improved - benefits far more important and delicious then any food - if I did feel I had to "diet" for the rest of my life, for me it would be worth it. But as said, I don;t feel I am dieting at all. I follow MY diet - which is the foods I fill myhouse with. But it is nto a diet. If that makes sense.

I also know, there will be times I want to indulge - and there will always be a price to pay - so if I have something excessive, I just know I have to work extra hard with exercise and fodd the rest of the week. Its no big deal. It works that way.

Bit of a ramble I know, but just thoughts that were occuring to me as I was just at the grocery store and decided to put the frozen yogurt back on the shelf and get an bag of apples and extra box of tofu instead. ;) :)

xxx

Thanks for ALL your responses - this has been such a helpful thread. I don't think I can "officially" thank you as I haven't posted enough, but THANK YOU!

I am remaining as open-minded as I can about LL, especially the counselling, and I am expecting my entire outlook on food to change and, yes, maybe my tastes too. I just didn't want to think I'd never be able to eat the "naughty" food and have to survive on half an egg white or something to maintain the weight.

But you've helped me to see that I will be able to go back to my healthy eating ways with an even healthier attitude and an understanding about why I might want that cake on that day.

Not that I'm expecting it to be easy. But it seems much more possible now, so thanks again :)

Daisydoll, your attitude seems totally healthy, and it must be daunting to be back in the world of food. Plus, if you don't test the boundaries how will you really know where they are?

I'm struggling with this a bit at the moment since I've been on holiday. I've maintained since March within a few pounds but have put on about half a stone (or possibly 9lb) which is quite a lot really! At one point I was trying to put on weight as I'd lost too much, and that was a real novelty!!! I've been drinking too much, and have found that that is a real trigger for me. I'll overeat far too much when I've had wine!! I wish I could afford to do LL for a few weeks just to get back on track whilst it's such a small gain still. I'm trying to get it all back under control, and in one way it's good as I know for a fact that I can't get away with things.

I've also realised that my tastes have really changed. Not sure why, but I love foods that I wouldn't have touched before, and I certainly don't eat carbs like I once did. But I still need to get my treats under control and stop drinking the wine, which might make maintaining a whole lot easier!!!

Back