Help - Size 26/28 what do you wear to the Gym??????

Hannah2

Hi

I have done something that is good but something that scares me...... I have signed up to this Live well scheme that was offered to me by the Doctors - you get 26 weeks of free access to fitness centre and a one 2 one session with a support person at the gym each week.

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK :hide:

I hate exercise and I hate gyms but if I didnt make myself do it I will never do it so I thought I better take the offer whilst it was available - your BMI has to be above 45 to be referred and as mine is going down it was now or never for this scheme.

Anyway, I have now realised that I have nothing to wear to go to the gym!!!!! So, what do you wear? What did you start off wearing? Were did you get it from? what shops do you use?

I will not wear leggings or cycle shorts or anything that clings so really not sure what to get.

What on earth have I let myself in for :help2:

wear what you feel comfortable in. tracksuit bottoms and a baggy t shirt is what most people where. also try to get a good bra that does the job so to speak.

also you have done the hardest bit by decideding to go to the gym :happy096:

I wear leggings now a lot but when I first joined the gym was in a size 28 and I wore tracksuit bottoms ( wide leg) and a baggy t shirt - still wear that! I probably got them in Evans, they have some nice yoga style trousers which are wide leg but thin. But also check out the supermarkets, asda do some and I also have some sorts leggings that I got from JD sports which I think were xxl. It's well worth that initial being scared no one has ever said anything bad to me or looked at me weird. Go for it x

Good for you! I know it's nerve-wracking if you're not used to going to the gym, but don't worry at all - you'll soon find that no one is looking at you, they're just concentrating on their own workout. And if they *do* look, I can guarantee they'll be thinking 'good for her' rather than something less flattering!

I agree that loose-fit trackie bottoms and a nice long-length T-shirt are the way to go. I feel much less self-conscious in that sort of outfit than leggings etc. I would pick dark colours as they don't show the sweat as much! :D You can get v. cheap gear from Asda, as Jayde says, or Evans will do something that fits the bill.

Well done on deciding to start the gym!

Asda's fit of clothing varies depending on the style of clothing but, it only goes up to a 24 as far as I am aware in some lines so may not be too comfortable at the moment.

Evans has a reasonable range and today has up to a 30% off.

Simply be also has a good range, you can get packs of 2 as well which is always handy.

yours clothing has sports clothing in up to a size 32 so worth a look! and cheaper than evans!

Stateofmindactive.com was featured in the SW mag, workout wear up to a size 26.

Like others have said jogging bottoms are a good start, I prefer 3/4 length joggers that are more fitted at the knee, and also full length the are tighter around the ankle. They aren't the prettiest but I hate the 'flappiness' of looser ones when working out.

As dirtydancing said a good bra is the way forward! but also comfortable trainers, nothing worse than sore feet!

Good luck!

M&S do joggers for £9.50, but you need to try them on because I find they come up a bit large. And there are three leg lengths. Cotton Traders pique polo tops don't cling like t-shirts do - they come in loads of colours up to size 5X

Go with trackies and a baggy t shirt. Do remember what has been said above no one will be judging you or thinking you shouldn't be there, they will be too busy doing what they've got to do and if they do notice you it will be only to think good on her!

Let us know how your first session goes!

Hey,

Firstly well done you for taking the first and guaranteed hardest step of all.

Think your question has already been answered so well already, exactly: something loose, comfortable and you would be happy wearing, joggers and a t-shirt best, good support bra and a decent pair of trainers.

Yours clothing are great and not as expensive as evans and the like, I bought a pair of joggers in their sale few days ago for £13 and sure they still had all sizes still in stock?!

Ebay is always good for a bargain too and you can narrow your searches down to specific sizes to save time!?

Good luck and wishing you well for the next few weeks;-)

Just wanted to say a massive well done for signing up! Hope it all goes well for you :)

When I first started I wore a few men's t shirts that I picked up for a few pound in Quality Seconds (or store 21 I think it's now called?). I got given a pair of tracksuit bottoms from Next and they were really, really comfortable. I practically lived in them for the first month lol. One thing I would suggest is getting some with a drawstring waist or something that can be adjusted, as you'll be dropping inches in no time!

Good luck! x

Wow, thanks for all the replies and the really really helpful suggestions - looks like I am doing some shopping this weekend!

I have not got a date for my first session yet but I am dreading it. I will do it though - I have psycologically committed to the 26 weeks so we will have to see how it goes!

I will let you know how I get on.

Not sure what to do about sports bra - dont think they do them in my size! Was looking at some online but it is hard to tell if they will fit or not without trying them. Hate buying new bras at the best of times!

As for trainers - hadnt even thought of that!!!!! Oh dear, this is going to expensive!!! I have to wear orthotics so I will have to find something with sufficient arch support which may prove difficult.

Thanks again for your help

H2 x

A good sports bra is definitely a must. A friend of mine is large in the chest area and she wears two to give her sufficient support.

If you're seeing a trainer they might be able to give you some advise on trainers but also a lot of sports shops will offer a free gait analysis and advise you on the correct type of shoes for you. Remember whilst the kit is important the most important thing is that you are doing it so try not to get too bogged down, trust me you could spend a fortune getting all the gear but you don't have to.

Hannah2 said:
Wow, thanks for all the replies and the really really helpful suggestions - looks like I am doing some shopping this weekend!

I have not got a date for my first session yet but I am dreading it. I will do it though - I have psycologically committed to the 26 weeks so we will have to see how it goes!

I will let you know how I get on.

Not sure what to do about sports bra - dont think they do them in my size! Was looking at some online but it is hard to tell if they will fit or not without trying them. Hate buying new bras at the best of times!

As for trainers - hadnt even thought of that!!!!! Oh dear, this is going to expensive!!! I have to wear orthotics so I will have to find something with sufficient arch support which may prove difficult.

Thanks again for your help

H2 x

Enell do fantastic sports bras that really him everything still. They're not cheap mind, but last for ages. Have a look on the 'Less Bounce' website :) x

Hi all, well I now have a booking for my first gym session and it is Thursday this week!

I got some loose leggings/capri pants from Ulla Popken and some T-shirts from Curvissa - not heard of them until I did some searching and they had some lovely stuff - got some nice long length Kangaroo T-shirts which will be good for the gym. I have also ordered a pool swimming costume from Daxon, it is amazing what you find via Google!!!!

I went to a running shop for some trainers as I have to be careful with my feet - ended up buying an expensive pair but they give me the arch support I need so hopefully I wont need to worry about foot problems.

I ordered some sports bras from Bravisimo but they wouldnt do up - even 2 sizes bigger than my normal bra! So I have now ordered some from Figleaves. If they are not any good I will look at the Enell bra but it looks scary - both in looks and price!!!!!

Thanks for all your help - is there a "thanks" system on here or is that what the "like" button is for???? I have not noticed before but dont want people to think I am ignoring them and not grateful for advice!

H2x

Awesome that you got a date through for your first session - and good luck!

We used to have a thanks button until the forum software got updated recently and then it vanished. However, you can "like" something, post to say thanks, or use the "reputation" button - which is the star shaped one at the bottom of every post, next to the "report post" button, which is the triangle one. The reputation button gives "reputation points" to the poster whos post you approve of.

When i was that size i wore, tracksuit bottoms (anysort) and a hoodie with a teeshire under, through the winter i would have a bin liner on under the teshire to make me sweat more as i wasnt sweating as much.... Just make sure you drink lots of water if you do that, dont want you de-hyrdrating !!

Enjoy yourself, i must start to find more time again for the gym!
x

Back