Original Help with everything snd slowcookers!

biggirl86

Postaholic/lurker!
So before I get into this, I need to set the scene. I'm 22 and ever since I was 6 I have been spending my Christmas morning with my mum and christmas dinner with my dad-every now and then it would be the other way round. On the first Chriistmas with my fiance I was 20 and christmas literally lasts until the 5th Jan (at least this year). Every single night there is a starter with a main course, dessert and then cheese. I've been doing that for the last three years and you can imagine that there is a bit of weight gain.
I say a bit but I mean a lot! I shot up in weight and I am not happy with my size.
I decided to go with Slimming World because I know someone who has done it and lost a lot of weight.
I started Slimming world back in November and have since lost 11 lbs. Everyone said that I should have waited until the end of Christmas so that I could start from fresh. I decided to lose weight before Chrstmas so that I would have lost weight when I started. I have only put on 3 lbs over Christmas so I think I have done pretty well!
I have now joined Body Optimise which is the online version of Slimming World. According to the equation, if I lose an average of 2lbs per week, I will reach target by July. I get married in June 2010 but I go holiday to Florida in September. My goal is for the holiday and I hope to maintain until the wedding.
I intend on going to the gym at least 3 times a week. This will start on Monday and I will spend at least an hour at the gym each time. I'm going to go straight from work but the only problem is that I need to drive past home to get to the gym. I have a priority but I will do it anyway.
I have ordered a slow cooker from nectar and I would love to have some recipes from others who have one. I do both days so I am quite happpy wiith any recipie.
Your advice would be much apprecitated.

Thanks in advance for your help:)

If you google slow cooker recipes there are quite a few good sites. The recipes should be easy to convert.

So before I get into this, I need to set the scene. I'm 22 and ever since I was 6 I have been spending my Christmas morning with my mum and christmas dinner with my dad-every now and then it would be the other way round. On the first Chriistmas with my fiance I was 20 and christmas literally lasts until the 5th Jan (at least this year). Every single night there is a starter with a main course, dessert and then cheese. I've been doing that for the last three years and you can imagine that there is a bit of weight gain.
I say a bit but I mean a lot! I shot up in weight and I am not happy with my size.
I decided to go with Slimming World because I know someone who has done it and lost a lot of weight.
I started Slimming world back in November and have since lost 11 lbs. Everyone said that I should have waited until the end of Christmas so that I could start from fresh. I decided to lose weight before Chrstmas so that I would have lost weight when I started. I have only put on 3 lbs over Christmas so I think I have done pretty well!
I have now joined Body Optimise which is the online version of Slimming World. According to the equation, if I lose an average of 2lbs per week, I will reach target by July. I get married in June 2010 but I go holiday to Florida in September. My goal is for the holiday and I hope to maintain until the wedding.
I intend on going to the gym at least 3 times a week. This will start on Monday and I will spend at least an hour at the gym each time. I'm going to go straight from work but the only problem is that I need to drive past home to get to the gym. I have a priority but I will do it anyway.
I have ordered a slow cooker from nectar and I would love to have some recipes from others who have one. I do both days so I am quite happpy wiith any recipie.
Your advice would be much apprecitated.

Thanks in advance for your help:)

Basically more or less anything that needs to simmer on the bob, or cook in the oven can be cooked in the slow cooker.

I sometimes buy a cheap cut of beef & cook it in the slow cooker, so when I get home from work I just need to do the roasters & veggies for a roast....I quite often buy a bag of pre-prepared veg & put it in the microwave for about 4 mins..saves time & mess midweek.

HTH

I also cook my roasts in the slow cooker. Firstly, it doesn't make the flat smell of food as much which always makes me ravenous and start to pick.

It also doesn't crispen fat on the outside of meat or the skin on chickens so the temptation to eat that isn't there either.

One thing to remember is that studd cooked in the slow cooker doesn't need the same amount of liquid as cooked conventionally.

:welcome2: to the forum. My slow cooker has bitten the dust but when I did have one, I used to make stews and currys in my slow cooker. Google is worth a look as most recipes can be easily adapted. Also, SW do a one pot cooking book which may be useful to you.

Good luck!

some good ideas there I bought one just before xmas and intend to use it a lot now

Welcome along!

I agree absolutely that you were right to start early. Lots of people in my group (even those who had been coming for a while!) kinda gave up in mid December and had a few gains... saying they were at Christmas parties. I stuck to it right up until Christmas Eve, then I had three days off with a big night out on New Year's Eve. I lost 9lb in December, and put 2 on over Christmas, so half a stone isn't bad I don't think overall.

I hope you get on okay with Body Optimise. I think I'd miss the group weigh-in. I don't particularly like the groups, image therapy and so on: but I do like the physical act of going to get weighed and I find it keep me on track and accountable. You can always post your losses here though and come here with any questions you have if you find Body Optimise isn't enough.

On slow cookers, I have one and also intend to use it more in the new year. I find it handy just to shove a load of stuff in the morning and come home to a lovely meal after work. I must confess that I don't really use recipes, I just use trial and error: shove a load of free food in there and hope for the best :)

My favourite is a chicken garlicly thing that I do. I mix herbs, salt, lemon juice, a little bit of water, some chopped garlic and a low syn stock cube together in a bowl and leave to one side for a couple of minutes. Brown a couple of chicken thighs in a dry pan and then put everything in the slow cooker on low for about 7-8 hours. Serve with a salad (red day) or some potatoes (green day with HEX or Extra Easy).

The chicken is lovely and tender and tastes really lemony and lovely at the end. If you find it a bit tart, you can add a spoon of sweetner.

I find the best thing with slow cookers is to experiment. If you're cooking meat, you can't really go wrong as long as it is cooked through: so it's just all about what you put with the meat.

Good luck with everything, hope you find it easy and fun in 2009!

Ste
x

Back