Help!

suzie_380

Me and my daughter joined SW on Monday eve and both have followed it to the letter. However, after a midweek peep on the scales I have had a loss but my daughter has gained 2lbs!! She is sooo upset.

I have managed to keep her on with the diet but why has this happened??? I know she has not cheated.

Sue
xx

Welcome Sue!
Please don't weigh yourself between classes.
Body weight fluctuates daily and you, or your daughter, may be put off by a "gain" that could just be water retention.
If you stick to it you will lose, and weighing in only at WIs will show how you have progressed for that week.
Ditch the home scales or lock them away.
It is tempting to want to see how you have done but don't!
Good luck to both of you. I am sure you will do great!

Hi Sue! Basically all scales are calibrated differently so if you weigh yourself on 10 different sets of scales you would likely get 10 different results. I know someonw who got weighed at her GP practice and the scales read nearly a stone heavier than her ones at home!

Also, a person's weight will vary naturally from day to day and even at different times of the day for a variety of reasons including fluid retention - you could see a difference of 4 lbs from morning to evening of the same day!

So the moral is to only weigh in once a week and only on the SW scales. Ditch the scales at home because as your daughter has discovered it can really bring you down and make you more likely to come off plan. Try and reassure your daughter that the number on those scales is very unlikely to be accurate. You've only been on the plan 2 or 3 days and you need to have consume 3500 extra calories to put on 1lb - has she really eaten 7000 more since Monday?!

Cheers for replying.

The scales have gone in the attic, I won't risk it throwing us of plan

It was really demoralising for her to see a gain.

Sue
xx

Hello Sue. I'm glad you've "lost" the scales. :D

I dieted with a friend once and our rate of losses was entirely different. I lost a small amount one week and a large amount the next, she lost a steady average amount. I think it is important that your daughter doesn't feel like a failure compared to you, so I would reassure her that weight loss comes to different people in different ways.

I'm glad you've kept her on track...If she sticks to the plan she will feel fantastic and look gorgeous in no time!

Oh and tell her to join Miniminminnims forum! We'd love to have her here! :)

Back