help!!

plussizebarbie

Hi guys i know ppl prob keep asking, but what exactly is ketosis?I have been looking through the posts and have a rough idea, but i don't understand what everyone means when they say 'its hit' and its happened in two days etc.
also how do u feel when you're in it etc etc?
may sound very naive but I am very confused!!xxx

hey..ketosis is when ur body starts using its own fat supply as a means of energy...it means that ur body is producing ketones to be in ketosis...so in a sense ur body 'eats the fat' but in a gud way so u lose the weight...the main signs are that during the week your hunger pangs will disappear and ul get smelly breath n all round weird feeling in you mouth (easily resolved with mouth wash n regular water)...n there isnt reli a time set for your body to be in ketosis sum people are 2 days other 5days..but trust me ull be in ketosis with the first week...hope this helps...gud luk xx

Ketosis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Ketosis (IPA pronunciation: [ki'tosɪs]) is a stage in metabolism occurring when the liver has been depleted of stored glycogen and switches to a chronic fasting mode during long periods of starvation.
During the chronic stage of starvation (after glycogen has run out), fat (triglycerol) is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to utilize fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process where fatty acid chains are cleaved to form acetyl-CoA, which can then be fed into the Krebs Cycle. During this process a high concentration of glucagon is present in the serum and this inactivates glucose kinase switching the primary energy source of most cells from using glucose to fatty acids. At the same time, new glucose is synthesized in the liver from lactic acid, glucogenic amino acids, and glycerol, in a process called gluconeogenesis. This glucose is used exclusively by cells such as neurons and red blood cells.
Ketone bodies, from the breakdown of fatty acids to acetyl groups, are also produced during this fasting state, and are burned throughout the body. During the initial stages of starvation the brain does not burn ketones, since they are an important substrate for lipid synthesis in the brain. But after several days of starvation, the brain transitions to burning ketones in order to more directly utilize the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus slowing the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.
The brain retains a residual need for glucose, because ketones can only provide energy when used during aerobic respiration in mitochondria. In the long thin neurons, much of the metabolically active cellular membrane must derive its energy from glucose via anaerobic respiration without the assistance of mitochondria.
Ketosis, which is a physiological condition in response to chronic starvation, should not be confused with ketoacidosis, which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2. Ketoacidosis is a medical condition usually caused by diabetes and accompanied by dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketonuria and increased levels of glucagon. The high glucagon, low insulin serum levels signals the body to produce more glucose via gluconeogenesis, glycolysis and ketogenesis. High levels of glucose causes the failure of tubular reabsorption in the kidneys, causing water to leak into the tubules in a process called osmotic diuresis, causing dehydration and further exacerbating the acidosis.
The breath of people in a ketagenic state commonly contains acetone, detectable as a sweet smell that may be mistaken for ethyl alcohol.
Deliberately induced ketosis through a low-carbohydrate diet has been used to treat medical conditions. The ketogenic diet is an approach to treating epilepsy, and the Atkins Nutritional Approach is marketed for treating obesity. The Lighter Life diet is recommended as a safer more controllable means of reaching ketosis for the purpose of fat burning within a professionally controlled environment. __________________

thanks guys that has clarified things up for me!!!
just one last question, whilst on lt, once ketosis has kicked in, r u in it all the time?!
xxx
thanks!!

well from my understanding..yes u r..coz were else is your body gona get energy from? except the 3 shakes...so it needs to eat d fat! lol..am i right?? can neone else help?? im only in day 6..weigh in 2mo! yay!

ah bless you bet your dead excited to get on them scales!!!good luck honey!xxx

thanks bride to be. btw, you look beautiful in ur pics ur gonna make a gorgeous bride xxx

thanx 4 dat...no cheating diz week...n if the result is good den no cheatin at all..lol..n bride to be congrats on getin nerly married ..n plz put pics up of u as a bride! wen u do get married...u'l look stunning!!

im sure you will honey. when is the big day?xxx

Back