Here's my plan... what do you guys think? Plus a couple of questions!!

Caz

Repeat Offender
Good morning everyone! The last couple of days I've kind of used not being on CD as an excuse to eat other stuff. Nothing really naughty. No puddings, crisps etc. But just not the healthiest choices. Like I had a curry last night, but home made, and I know it was a fairly healthy one, but still. If I want this to keep working, I have to stick to the rules!

I found a stash of shakes and stuff, so I can do a good few more days on the 1000 step properly. And my friend started CD at the same time as me but ended up stopping after a day or so as she was ill and stuff and just hasn't done it, so she's giving me her soups and shakes. So should hopefully get a week or so more of the 1000 step properly. And then I'm going to just try and do my own thing. Here's my thinking, what do you guys think...

Breakfast: Fruit, shredded wheat, muesli or boiled egg and slice of toast. That makes 150 calories. Is the 1000 step breakfast.

Lunch: Salad or soup, low fat and low calorie soup. Found some lovely ones which are about 90 cal a portion, plus slice of bread. Totals 200 calories.

Dinner:Any of the 1000 or 1200 step meals. Plenty of good veg. 300 - 400 calories.

Snacks: Fruit to about 100 calories.

That's 750 - 850 calories.

To me, that all sounds like loads of food but not enough calories. Is probably more than I was having on the 1000 step sometimes, as didn't always have the CD meals. But I'm concerned about nutrients and stuff. I don't know how to make sure I'm getting it all.

Then I'm going to try and up my exercise. Do at least a 15 minute my fitness trainer workout a day. Plus swimming and gym 2-3 times a week.

So now the questions...

How many calories should I be aiming at a day as a safe minimum?

How many g of carbs a day makes a low carb diet? Anyone got any idea roughly how many we consume on CD?

Should I take multi vitamins on top of doing this?

I've got no idea how many lbs I can expect to lose doing this. And I'm not going to even worry about it! I'm going to just do whatever I need to do to make it work and not put on weight until I get back to being able to do CD. If however this works amazingly for me, maybe I'll stick to it. But I think I'll likely be back!

Thanks in advance!

xx

Last edited:
Hi Caroline G,
Have you thought about buying a Diet plate...they are great, I bought one for my son as he eats like a horse especialy carbs, this plate sections the plate of into correct portion sizes for carbs and protein with unlimited vegetables and salad. The plate is quite an inspirational tool if used properly and it comes with a book to show you how to use it properly..it has lots of weight loss stories with it and some of the people have lost loads of weight just by getting their portion sizes right.
I am not sure how many carbs you are meant to have per day...but if you are eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables you will not need to worry about getting the right minerals and vitamins...eat plenty of greens as they are a source of iron and b vits.
Have a look at the diet plate at www.thedietplate.com
if you like what you see there is a website that you can get it slightly cheaper and I will try and find it for you.
I plan on using the dietplate when I lose a few more stone and start maintenance.
Good luck.

Hi Caroline

Your plan sounds really good and healthy and I think you will def be getting enough vitamins and minerals if you eat lots of good fruit and veg, try and avoid veg like peas, sweetcorn etc as they are high in carbs, stick to white and green (similar to the ones mentioned in the cd booklet)

all low carb diets vary in terms of how many grams stated but anything under 40g a day is a pretty good low carb diet!

Good luck :)

xx

Thanks guys :)

I haven't seen those diet plates before, I'll have a looksie!

To my reckoning...
A bowl of cereal has circa 100 cals without the milk and a slice of bread is around 80 cals without spread so if you have cereal, with milk and toast with jam, but no butter you're looking at around =250 calories no 150. ... You need to make sure of the calorific values.

You also need to ensure that you have a serve of protein in your lunch. You also need a milk/yoghurt allowance daily to make sure that you have the calcium a woman's body needs....

You could add in some raw vegetables to nibble at for those 'moments' afterall in the UK we are supposed to be eating 5 portions a day... (in most other countries it's 7!)

HTH a bit!

Oops, sorry, missed out my milk/yoghurt portion off of there, meant to look up how many calories that is, but forgot.

I wouldn't be having toast with jam. I was just going by the breakfasts on the 1000 step, which I thought were meant to be 150 calories.

I guess I could make lunch a tuna or chicken salad. Do I have to have protein though? I think that's where I find it hard. I'm going by the CD 1000 step and adapting it, but I don't know what I'm taking out by not having the 2 shakes.

I think to keep carbs low, I might stick to fruit and yoghurt for breakfast!

Do I have to have protein though? I think that's where I find it hard. I'm going by the CD 1000 step and adapting it, but I don't know what I'm taking out by not having the 2 shakes.

In a rush, so just a quick one. Much as Ali says and yes, you do need enough protein. It's the most important macronutrient there is when dieting (any diet). Without the CD shakes, you need about 1200 calories to get all the nutrients you need......must rush :D

In a rush, so just a quick one. Much as Ali says and yes, you do need enough protein. It's the most important macronutrient there is when dieting (any diet).

plus protein helps to keep you feeling full which is essential for any successful diet in my opinon :)

xx

Yes, but it's much more important than keeping hunger at bay...though it does that job very well.

It sort of helps keep you alive ;)

When people diet, they reduce cals, so tend to reduce all the macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein).

Reduce too much protein, and you lose too much lean mass. Lean mass meaning everything that isn't fat...including all your major organs.

Without meaning to sound dramatic, your body can start to canabolise.

The least scary thing that can happen with too little protein is hunger, difficulty maintaining.

The other end is death. That lady who died this week on the soup and water diet, died of ketoacidosis. Unless she was diabetic or an alky, the only way that could have happened is if she had major organ failure. And I bet she thought she still had fat to lose. She was still in a healthy BMI after all...but still starved herself to death via lack of protein.

Back