Hi everyone, I might be joining you!

LaLaLou

Silver Member
Morning all, hope everyone's well :)

I'm just on here for a little info/support. Bit of background on my weight loss so far:

I started off at 284lbs, at which point I was so down about myself. In August I finally thought, "enough is enough" and decided to lose weight by counting calories. I've lost 32lbs so far. Which I am so happy with.

But over the past few weeks I've got really fed up. I am losing between 1-2lbs per week on average I think, but a fair few weeks I've STS, even when staying within my calorie limit! This has made me really really fed up, and for a week or so I totally went off the rails.

So, back on track this week, and have lost 2.25lbs, which I know is good, but I still feel like I'm never going to get under 18 stone.

So today I've made an appointment with the doctor for Tuesday to see about getting something like Xenical or Reductil prescribed. I am sooooo nervous! I hate talking about my weight with people other than close family - this is why I like this forum, I can talk freely on here!

Just a few questions, if you don't mind :)

How did you choose between Xenical and Reductil? Or was it down to what the doctor thought best for you?

How have you found Xenical thus far? I've read Pinkii's story, and I am so amazed by what she's achieved! This, as well as reading up on Xenical, is what made me pop over to the forum here.

How was your doctor when you went to see him/her? I'm really nervous that she won't take me seriously.

Sorry for the rambling, I don't expect anyone to read it all, but if you could answer my q's it'd be much appreciated.

Louise xx

Hey lou :)

first things first the doctor has to listen to you and giving that you have lost a fair amount of weight before asking for a little help ive no doubt that they will take you seriously you may need to say you know your friends have been sucessful , because a lot of docs tend to shun away from giving these (i dont know why)..

They look at your bmi if you fit in the obese you are allowed them , i was never offered the reductil just teh xenical....so i cant comment on that one =[..

the doctor will only give you them if you make it clear how determined you are as on xenical it wont be easy at first until you get used to the change BUT its not as hard and horrible as people make out..

goodluck let us know how it goes xx

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I'm really unsure as to how this doctor will be, I'm hardly ever there and never manage to see my own doctor (last saw her about 5 years ago!) so can't even guess at how understanding she may be. I'll think of what I want to say before going in, see what she suggests and take it from there.

I know someone else from college who goes to the same practice as me, and she was prescribed Reductil, so hopefully they won't be too reluctant to prescribe it!

Will pop back on here on Tuesday night and let you know how I get on!

xx

Hi Louise,
As Piink says you have lost a lot by yourself and this should bowed well with your Dr, Mine was very supportive, I went in asking for Xenical as I'd read up about both that and Reductil and decided with my history of depression reductil wasn't such a good idea. The only advice I can give is to go to your Drs armed with information you have got for yourself and be assertive and confident that this is what you would like to try. Make sure she knows just how hard you have worked to shift this first bit of weight and how serious you are about changing your lifestyle to become fitter and healthier.
Good luck and remember we are all hear to listen whenever you need us.
xxx

Good luck Louise x

my dr is very supportive.
he gave me the choice, but said that he has had more sucsess with the people who have stuck to it with them being on xenical than the other...
so i chose this one.. and there is no looking back!
ive lost 25lb and i couldnt be happier. ive been on the tabs for almost 2 months, and no orange oil.... which im very pleased about. but im sure there will be a time with a slip up or two and ill get it...
but from what i read, you just get up dust yourself off and move on again!

good luck with your decision. have a read of a few more diaries, and maybe have a looking in the reductil thread too (if you have not already) and find out what is going to be best for you!!

Hiya

I've been on Xenical now for almost two months and have lost 23 lbs. I went to the doctor because I was generally feeling ill and depressed about everything and I wanted to do something about it. I had tried all the usual diets and nothing had worked for me and a mum at the school gates told me she knew someone who had lost 10 stones on Reductil so I decided I wanted to try it.

Unfortunately for me Reductil was a no go as I found out that I had dangerously high blood pressure so I had to take the Xenical as she told me Reductil is only suitable for people with a BP of under 140/90. Its working well for me and I've only had a couple of Tango'ing effects but thats my own fault and you learn quickly what to avoid.

Good luck with your decision, you are doing so well and with your good PMA will do really well on either drug.

xx

hi and good luck hun, ur doctor should b understanding and should let u have it , i hope u get on well and keep coming bak here, the support is amazing and it really helps during low points that we all get x

Thank so much for all your replies, your experiences are all really interesting and good to hear.

I went to the docs this afternoon, and she was lovely! So helpful and understanding. She recommended I try out Xenical, also offered to send me to a dietician, but tbh I think I pretty much know what I should and should not be eating.

I really wish I'd not got myself so worked up about speaking to her, lol.

She recommended Xenical for me, and I cannot for the life of me remember why now, haha. It might be to do with BP though, as when I was pregnant I did develop pre-eclampsia, so perhaps that's something to do with it! Wish I could remember now!

Anyway, I'm at college all day tomorrow, so will be starting on the tablets on Thursday as I'm then off all weekend.

Thanks again!

xx

wow thats great.
Good luck with everything, and im sure if you stick to the rules then you will not have any problems!

Back