Hi, new to Xenical and have joined for support :)

DerbyLion

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and have just started Xenical, so thought it may be nice to get some additional help from you guys. Here's my story....

I've led a life of excess which has now caught up with me in a big way, I am a 30 year old male living in Derby, UK. My current weight is around 20st 5lb, and I started on the blue pills last night!

I recently worked as a postman after getting made redundant from my IT job before Xmas. I only managed 2 months as a postman due to my weight creating problems. I have now got a trapped nerve above my pelvis which causes really nasty pain when I walk too far, I have also started to develop Varicose veins as a result of carry so much weight.

I went to see my doctor and they recommended a career change, at least until I can lose some weight, and they prescribed me Xenical.

I've had a go at losing weight before but have always struggled with my will power to be honest, I hoping that this will give me that little extra motivation to sort myself out before it's too late :(

Two things I could do with help on are diet and exercise advice. I'm limited on exercise due to this nerve problem, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

As for my diet....Today I have had;

Cereal for breakfast (Semi skimmed with no sugar)
Chicken Sandwich for lunch (Wholemeal bread, bit of light mayo)
Bean Salad with lunch
Museli for dinner with 2 slices of wholemeal toast and an apple.

Is this ok, or do I need more fat?

Anyway, you guys all seem to be doing really well which is fantastic to hear, it's great that there's a place for people to get good support.

Jon ;);)

Hi Jon!
I'm also new to Xenical and the forum.
I started taking the little blue pill on Friday and to be honest I'm still confused because I have read a few posts on the forum stating if you don't eat enough fat Xenical will not work for you but this is not my understanding of it.... My Doctor said that if my meal contained no fat then I wouldn't need to take the tablet . I have to go back and see the nurse in 2 weeks so I will ask about it then.

I joined the forum last night and already I have been made to feel so welcome and the support from other users is very heartwarming.

Good luck Jon and keep posting!
Clare -x-:)

Hi and welcome to minis. :welcome:

Unfortunately we are all here do to excess, whats important is the step made to correct it before it does futher damage.
My start weight was 21 st 8 Ibs when I started on xenical and weight watchers. Was referred to weight watchers by my GP which has been great as I get a set weekly weigh in and support each week as well as all the fantastic support on here, I find myself on here most nights and it stops me being tempted.

What a shame you had to change your job, I am sure that you can use this to change your mindset, I have always found myself going back to old habits before, this time however I had a bad control over Easter with my daughter off school but have got right back on track so am really pleased.

Have you thought of doing some non weight bearing leg excercise, I remember one from school where you lie on your back using your hands to support your bottom of the floor with your legs up in the air and the moving your legs as if on a bike.....not sure how that would be for you. Or how about some where sat in a chair... your Gp might be able to advise as I know they can do excercise for elderly when sat in chair.

diet wise, you need to be reading your nutrition labels and looking at 5% total fat per 100g, then calculate a maximum of 15g per meal as the daily quota is 30-45g of fat per day. Xenical doesnt distinguish between good and bad fats.

I would suggest you register with MAP, it is a website run by the people that produce xenical so is in their best interests to help. I understand they are only taking registrations on the internet now, thought I registered by phone and have had a call from one of their nurses to see how I was getting on and information through the post.
http://www.mapassist.co.uk

Food wise, I think you need to add more fruit and vegetables and have a proper dinner for one of your meals...such as skinless chicken with some pasta and a tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers.

If you have a meal with no fat at all, dont take your xenical. You do need fat for your body to have fuel to burn the fat you want to loose so ensure you are getting enough.

I would reccomend keeping a record of your food on day to day basis, also dont forget that while alcohol hasnt got fat it does have calories which can still make adifference to your weight loss and that you need to be drinking plenty of fluids without sugar.

I agree this site is fantastic and there are some v.helpful peeps on here.
Good luck and if you need to know anything else just holler. :D

Jon, too add, on the MAP website in the download section there is a diary you can print off to use and some recipe ideas. The saffron chicken looks yummy!

Jon, too add, on the MAP website in the download section there is a diary you can print off to use and some recipe ideas. The saffron chicken looks yummy!

Also there is a caolorie counter under healthy eating, just type in a food and it will give you the calories, if then select a food from results it shows the fat per 100g and you can calculate total fat based on how much of it you have had.

Hi Jon and welcome to Minis :D
xxx

Some great advice there, thanks, I will check out the mapassist site now.

Alibalibee......WOW, congratulations on your success so far!!! That's amazing!

dont know much about ww i tend to stick to low fat & exercise every day thats what works for me :)

welcome xx

Yep Jon, it should be fine, however be aware that some of the WW products are higher than 5% fat :)
x

Hiya and welcome, i am only on my second week so farely new x

Hi & Welcome Jon!

I am starting week 2 on Xenical, So pretty new to it.

I did previously follow WW but stopped losing weight, Hence starting the X and now I just follow the low fat diet and I have lost 4lbs.

You have to watch with WW as sometimes even though the points may be low, The fat could be very high.

Good Luck!!

LiSe Xxx

Thought I'd give an update......

I think it's about 3 days since I posted, and I have lost 5lbs already! And I've not really felt like I've made too many sacrifices to be honest.

My day consists of something like this;

Muesli with semi skimmed milk for brekky

Something on wholemeal toast and a piece of fruit for lunch

A piece of fruit or some celery mid afternoon

A fairly decent size portion of pasta with homemade spicy tomato sauce for dinner, followed by a banana.

And, if I get really hungry in the evening I will have a small bowl of muesli.

Seems to do the trick anyway.

I've not had the dreaded orange oil yet, although I have been more regular, but nothing dramatic.

So all in all a pretty good experience so far.

Well done Jon! :)

Back