Hi, newbie, and unsure!

tonix

I went to tesco other day and stocked up on Slimfast, ive just had my first milkshake, however, ive been 'dieting' since the 1st of the year!

Ive lost 2kgs in 4 days... according to my scales.

So anyways, Ive not been using the slimfast how its meant to be, and tbh, the milkshake is rank!

Ive been cutting out all crap, savoury stuff. Ive found it easy enough - I can go to the fridge and get an apple, when kitkats etc are sat there besides them.

Ive started with the keep fit DVDs, well.... done it this morning for the first time, was sweating like... well... lol! But was good, and made me feel alot better than I usually do, was unusual, but it really did make me feel better - looser, can move!

So as anyone lost a fair bit of weight thru calorie counting alone? As I wana loose about 5stone :eek: if possible, but would be happy with 3!

Sorry if I sound an idiot, but dieting is all new to me, i used to be fit at school, doing all sports, then at 17 ended up pregnant, then 20 again, now im 24. My lil girl will be starting pre school soon, and im going to have time on my hands. :)

I just started dieting again properly in November because weight had started to creep on again - I have nearly 2 stone to lose.

I did lose 4 and a half stone and got to target in 1998, it took a long time (18 months) but it's something I try to consider permanent rather than a temporary diet. Even though it sounds a long time I felt better every half stone I lost and I lost most of it in first 9 months and the last stone took another nine but I looked and felt so much better I didn't care.

I did stay at target for nearly 10 years but other things going on in my life have caused me to slacken so I'm now back to it with a vengeance.

Tracey

PS. I once tried Slimfast and I hated them, my son ended up drinking them all just as a normal milkshake. He said they were like McD's.

Hiya,

A few years ago I lost over 10 stone by calorie counting (put it back on though - buts thats another story :eek:)

Anyway yes, calorie counting does work, its not a quick fix, but it is fairly simple as most food items have calories written on them.

Well done at attempting some exercise too!

thank you both, i am going to stick at this as am finding it quite easy at the minute.

ive done 30 minutes of pump it up dvd, and then a couple of the exercises sorted for me thru feelfit.com, also using myfitnesspal to record calories and have easily managed to stick under 1000 without feeling hungary, and thats recording everything. No doubt this will get harder as i run outta healthy meal ideas! :rolleyes:

Hi Tonix, I've also 5st to lose, although I'd be content with 4. How do u stick to under 1000 cals a day? What kind of things do u eat? Sorry, just interested how u fill up on so little cals.
I'm on 1500 a day at the mo, and will drop it down as my weight geoes down.
Good luck :)

Calorie counting is the best way too go :) I am on 1000 cal's a day too and it's going pretty well. I am losing quite a bit, hopefully that'll go up more when I start going to some fitness classes (starting back again tonight).

I was wondering what type of things you made though, as I am running out of ideas.

Good luck with your diet! :D x

I've lost exactly 3st through calorie counting and the laziest approach to exercise next to not doing any at all since I began in September 2009.

I've lost exactly 3st through calorie counting and the laziest approach to exercise next to not doing any at all since I began in September 2009.

3 stone in four months? can i ask how? im so fed up of being so heavy... every photo i see of myself makes me want to cry i want to loose about 4stone as quickly as i can! HELP!!!! :)

As for what ive been eating so far, Ive had for my breakfast I have a bagel with philli - lite - or a bowl of Alpens, then an apple or orange for my lunch (which I used to miss altogether anyway, so this is more than I used to have), then dinner, Ive had a spaghetti bol, jacket tatties with tuna, low fat curry, and tonight beans on toast. Ive also let myself have a snack with a 2 finger kitkat a day - only 107calories!

I used to have a normal sized plate but ive changed to a smaller plate too, and even after 4-5 days tonight, I left some food!

As for what made me start exercising, it was people saying I wont stick to it, so its made me even more determined!

And as for fitunoi, how sad is this, I hate having my photo taken so much, ive not even got any from the birth of my kids! :( But I will make up for it, loosing weight can only help my self confidence. :)

3 stone in four months? can i ask how? im so fed up of being so heavy... every photo i see of myself makes me want to cry i want to loose about 4stone as quickly as i can! HELP!!!! :)

By eating whatever I fancy so long as it doesn't add up beyond 1,500 calories (but on most days shooting for 1,200).

I have either 2 slices of toast or (more often) a bowl of Oatso Simple for breakfast. I like Oatso Simple because it's pre-measured :D

For lunch I tend toward a ham or chicken salad sandwich. This is around 250-280 calories.

I'll usually find room *cough* for a packet of crisps in the afternoon. Walkers is about 180 calories for the pack, or if I'm grumpy I'll go for 250 calories of McCoy's.

Then evening is about 500 calories for dinner. Everything's prepared from scratch to recipe, and surprisingly filling when you're not eating additives, preservatives and flavourings.

It was a bit of a fight for the first couple of weeks. I was damn hungry, because it was a terrific reduction in the sheer volume of food that I was eating. But once the weight started shifting and the stomach started shrinking, it became a heck of a lot easier.

Now eating 1,200 - 1,500 calories per day is extremely easy. There's been the occasional urge toward something stodgy, because it's winter and we're geared toward gaining weight in winter. All I do is check the packet and decide whether it's worth eating whatever I'm being tempted by.

The longer you watch the calories, the more intuitive it becomes. You start getting a feel for the general calorie content of everyday foods, and eating out becomes a lot safer. You also start weighing up whether or not the taste is worth the calories, and that's extremely empowering for saying no to chocolate.

Cutting out those refined sugars means you stop the binge / starve / binge / starve cycle that refined sugars induce. Which, again, helps put you firmly in control of your eating.

Finally, you just have to own your weight, and the responsibility for it. It's not an easy hurdle to overcome, but once you fully accept that your eating habits are the reason you are fat, and decide that you've had enough of being fat, then taking responsibility for what you put into your mouth becomes a lot easier.

Intriguingly I've found on past diet attempts that people try to feed me, persuade me to eat naughty things, and generally sabotage what's going on. But this time it just isn't happening, and that's because I'm being confident, responsible, and assertive. Nobody but me decides what I eat. Food has no power over me. Food is a tool, nothing more. It is not a comfort blanket, it is not a friend, it is not a reward. It is fuel for my body and nothing more.

Yep. You have to stop viewing eating as something that you do for pleasure or comfort. It's the coal you stoke your engines on, nothing more. If it tastes good that's obviously a bonus, but setting out to eat food for any reason other than your body requiring energy is where most of us fall down.

Good luck!

I too have lost a lot of weight through CC - 6.5 stone in just under a year and I agree with everything crazybrit has said. I use food as fuel for my body and nothing else. I still enjoy food but am so much more aware of what my body needs and not what my mouth wants!!! I try and stick to this principle now that I am maintaining but allow myself more calories as I would still be losing weight. This has been no easy feat though as it's hard to up your cals when you've had such a tight rein over them for so long! I had 1000 - 1200 a day and to be honest exercised very little in the first 9 months. Only when trying to shift the last stone did I really get down to regular activities and now do 3 - 4 sessions a week. Having said all this I've been on a bit of a bender over the last 5 days, why I don't know as I was ok through Christmas and New Year. So I'm sure to have put a few pounds on and will have to curb my calorie intake for a few weeks I suppose! Maybe I'll join the valentine's challenge!
Good luck - it can be done!

Hi guys I'm new to minimins (well all online forums really) and it's been really great to hear all your stories and views, especially on calorie counting. I find it so hard! I still can't get into the mind set of seeing food as fuel not pleasure for my mouth! I have developed a very strong sweet tooth over the past year or so which just seems to throw my calorie counting out of the window! I'm aiming for 1200 cals a day and drinking 2litres of water a day (a glass before meals). Not going anywhere near the scales until a week today. Wish me luck (following my previous attempts - I'm going to need it!)

Hi guys I'm new to minimins (well all online forums really) and it's been really great to hear all your stories and views, especially on calorie counting. I find it so hard! I still can't get into the mind set of seeing food as fuel not pleasure for my mouth! I have developed a very strong sweet tooth over the past year or so which just seems to throw my calorie counting out of the window! I'm aiming for 1200 cals a day and drinking 2litres of water a day (a glass before meals). Not going anywhere near the scales until a week today. Wish me luck (following my previous attempts - I'm going to need it!)

Hey! Me and you are pretty much the same! Well same height, same weight and same aim! :) Good luck hope we both manage it! :)

Mmmm. Oatsosimple. I never thought about that! I may have to get me some! x

Its so hard not to weigh yourself constantly, ive been doing it twice a day but have put them ontop of a cupboard in the kitchen - outta sight, outta mind - well maybe not but less tempting to jump on them!

Good Luck Bubbles! :)

Back