Hi there

Thanks Jules - i just found the same thing!! How silly, surely the different measures should be called different things!!!

xx

Does it not depend upon the spirit if it comes in 25ml or 35ml?

Thank you for clarifying the booze subject!! :D

And thank you for my lovely welcome

Hi :) Welcome to the forum, I'm quite new here too :)

Does it not depend upon the spirit if it comes in 25ml or 35ml?

Yes, kind of. Baileys should always be served as a large measure (whether that 2x25ml, or 2x35ml), as should vermouths and weaker, generally under 20% spirits because they're cheaper. BUT most landlords don't bother or don't know or don't care....

As for the size it depends on the pub.... alot of the breweries a few years ago decided that they would run a new advertising campaign '40% more spirit, for 20% more cash' it never really took off and wasn't really pushed much because it promoted binge drinking apparently. Some pubs do it some don't. meaures are not a standardised thing any more. It used to be a liscensing obligation to only sell spirits in 25ml measures, or multiples thereof, but that like everything else changes every 5 minutes!

Most spirits are 2.5 syns for a 25ml measure. Jack Daniels is 3 though :mad:

(I've spent a long time working in pubs!)

Last edited:
Hi :)
Most spirits are 2.5 syns for a 25ml measure. Jack Daniels is 3 though :mad:

I love a Jack Daniels straight, had one this eve and wondered how many syns it was lol.

Love brandy and whiskeys straight too - mmmm :D

oh I'm gutted about the JD - its my fave tipple! I tried looking it up on line - they have JD as a brand but when you search it there is not entry for whiskey or bourbon!!! :sigh:

Back