High blood pressure

peacelily

Silver Member
Have been back to the docs this morning because of my headaches again. I made the appointment last week following 8 days of headaches. That's been the worst in a while. However, I also tried a magnet bracelet I got from amazon. It didn't work for my aches and pains or headache but another aspect of it is that a lot of people have posted reviews saying it has reduced their blood pressure. I have had persistent high blood pressure (up as high as 140/103) since being pregnant with my son who is 17. My most recent reading was 140/98 in July. Started magnets mid july. My reading this morning was 130/80!! I have not had a reading this normal in 17 years and I have lost 10% of my body weight and been at this weight before so can only put it down to the magnets. I am gobsmacked! Just wondered if anyone else has tried them and found a difference?

Hi There.
Try measuring your blood pressure in the afternoon not the morning, it's always higher in the morning!
My blood pressure was very high when I started SW but now it's down to normal.
Pete

That's really great news, it may be the magnets, it may just eventually be your body getting used to being a healthy weight, either way...it's fab!

My blood pressure is high, well the last time I was at the doctors and he checked it it was...they always send me letters about going to get it monitored and I never go, simply because I'm convinced I have a mild version of white coat syndrome, I'm not climbing the walls when I go to the Doctors but as soon as he mentions that blooming cuff I can feel my heart start to beat in my chest. Anyone else have this problem? Know how to overcome it?

I was diagnosed with white coat syndrome at the start of the year-exactly like you, as soon as i get into the doctors i can feel my heart rate increase and i get hot and sweaty. I hate the doctors with a passion and have fainted almost everytime they take blood. My doctor arranged for me to have a 24hour blood pressure monitoring. At home, pottering about my blood pressure was near normal and certainly not as sky high as it is in the surgery. He told me to go away, lose a bit more weight and exercise more, which i did. 6 months later i went for a check up, he got me talking about my job and the new pup and took my blood pressure at the same time-to my surprise it was normal!! i think being distracted from the reason i was there calmed me down and obviously had an effect on my blood pressure. X

awesomecupcake said:
I was diagnosed with white coat syndrome at the start of the year-exactly like you, as soon as i get into the doctors i can feel my heart rate increase and i get hot and sweaty. I hate the doctors with a passion and have fainted almost everytime they take blood. My doctor arranged for me to have a 24hour blood pressure monitoring. At home, pottering about my blood pressure was near normal and certainly not as sky high as it is in the surgery. He told me to go away, lose a bit more weight and exercise more, which i did. 6 months later i went for a check up, he got me talking about my job and the new pup and took my blood pressure at the same time-to my surprise it was normal!! i think being distracted from the reason i was there calmed me down and obviously had an effect on my blood pressure. X

Yes my doc has realised I have white coat syndrome as she takes my bp when I go in then retakes it at the end of the appointment and it has always gone down. I do think distraction is a good technique but also as the poster above says a more accurate way is to have a 24 hour monitor. There was a report about that recently saying they should be used more before people are put onto medication. So good of your doc to give you a monitor awesomecupcake. I have kept the magnets on as I assume I'll have it done again in the next couple if months.

bilsat said:
Hi There.
Try measuring your blood pressure in the afternoon not the morning, it's always higher in the morning!
My blood pressure was very high when I started SW but now it's down to normal.
Pete

Good to know Pete cos this time when I had my first normal reading in years it was taken at 8.30am! Makes me believe it must be right even more.

Shirleen said:
The headaches are probably not caused by high blood pressure, however painkillers to treat headaches may cause high blood pressure!

http://headacheandmigrainenews.com/is-high-blood-pressure-causing-my-headache/

Yes I was reading about that. Was also very concerned about recent reports of hearing loss associated with ibuprofen (which I don't take as often as paracetamol) as I have been recently wondering if my ears could do with syringing. The doc has said however, that I am not taking very much compared to the people in the studies but you just never know and I do know that I am very drug sensitive. Hey ho there's not much to recommend this whole getting old/menopause thing except that it's good to be alive as there is a history of early death along the female line in my family. This is also why I was a bit euphoric that my blood pressure was normal with no medication.

Back