High syn foods you refuse to compromise

Lottie12

Silver Member
Was just eating mash potato and it just has to have proper butter in it (1 tsp=2 syns)I also always use a tbs of oil to make a curry and the same for a tomato based sauce. Have tried it with frylight and using low fat butter in spuds but always feel unsatisfied. So it is for me worth every last syn.

I was wondering if you have any meals/foods which you refuse to compromise even though lower syn options are available ?

I think that's the trick really- knowing when to use your syns so you feel satisfied!! Personally, I would rather have a tasty meal with a few smart syns in instead of tasteless meals then a bar of chocolate.

For me, when making a paella or jambalaya I like to throw in a bit of chorizo for flavour. Just enough for taste, so it works out about 2.5 syns per portion. I've tried without and it's just wrong, tastes bland and unappetising. Plus, with the fat from the chorizo to cook the other meat and veg in, there is no need to add any olive oil or butter :) So it all works out ok in th end!

Wine :D I've tried drinking lower-syn alternatives but drinking vodka etc just turns me into a raving looney so I have to save enough syns so I can have a glass or 2 of red :cool:

Mine is to have sugar in a cup of coffee. I just can't stand sweeteners, so I limit myslef to one cuppa at night!

Evaporated milk in my coffee... Costs me 1.5 syns every morning but I cannot have it with the other (normal) milk!

Really good quality butter and oil and cheese. Avocados. Proper icecream. Good chocolate. And Total 2% yogurt - the 0% won't do.

OK, so I can only have them in small quantities. But I would rather not have them at all than compromise.

This one?

Pete’s Spicier Creole Jambalaya-2

Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
½ tspTurmeric
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4x Sainsbury’s Spicy & Succulent mini Chorizos=80g 2 Syn each.
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice
Parsley, chopped roughly
Bay leaf
* Tabasco, if you like it hotter!
lemon wedges

Method

Mix the Cajun with a small amount of water to make a paste, place the chicken breast in a small bowl and toss it to cover it with the sauce.

Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes.

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.
Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.

Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes, rice and the bay leaf, then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Drizzle with the lemon juice

* Add Tabasco, if you want it hotter

Serve with a salad.

SpicierJambalaya-2Large.jpg

bilsat said:
This one?

Pete’s Spicier Creole Jambalaya-2

Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
½ tspTurmeric
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4x Sainsbury’s Spicy & Succulent mini Chorizos=80g 2 Syn each.
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice
Parsley, chopped roughly
Bay leaf
* Tabasco, if you like it hotter!
lemon wedges

Method

Mix the Cajun with a small amount of water to make a paste, place the chicken breast in a small bowl and toss it to cover it with the sauce.

Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes.

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.
Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.

Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes, rice and the bay leaf, then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Drizzle with the lemon juice

* Add Tabasco, if you want it hotter

Serve with a salad.

I think I've just found what I'll be cooking tonight :) thanks Pete!

Coconut milk for me, tried all sorts of ways to make syn free thai curry with yoghurts and still would rather syn the light coconut milk. Also Korma.

Extra light mayo. I'm dairy free so I can't have butter, etc, and I can't stand dry sandwiches or pasta for lunch. Gives it a flavour x

Pete, you need to get your recipe's published!! Or start a blog!!

Back