Hit a plateau - can you help me, please?

Taffy Girl

I lost 2 stone between New Year and Easter - and was feeling great. Since then I have been gaining/losing the same 3 or 4lbs.... and am feeling pretty despondent. I still have at least a stone to lose - (but would really love to lose another 2 or 3 stone)

I feel like I have tried everything - been mixing my days about, changing what I'm eating, eating lots of superfree/speed foods, been doing a variety of exercise, gone back to the books, writing everything down, weighing/measuring everything, drinking loads of water, tried eating all my syns/less syns but nothing seems to be doing it for me. My consultant has been looking at my food diaries and thought I might not be eating enough free food and too much fruit and veg for the amount of exercise Ive been doing, so I have addressed that - but the weight is still not shifting.

Any ideas how I can get past this? I have only get 10 weeks to my holiday so now need a minor miracle to get to target - but even a few more pounds would be something!

It does seem like you've tried all the normal suggestions people try to make. A lady in my group was talking about her situation a few days ago and it is similar to yours.

She had lost 3 stone and still had 3 stone to go. She tried everything and nothing would make the weight budge so she decided to relax and forget about it for a fortnight. For that two weeks she didn't go mad, she just ate a bit of what she wanted and didn't think about the plan. She came back to class and had but 3lb on, then she got back on plan.

Since then, I think she said she's been losing an average of 3lb a week. Maybe you could give that a go too?

Try asking about fast forward. Not entirely sure what its like as never done it, and it isn't advertised, but apparently it can be good at kick starting weight loss when you've tried everything.

try changing some of your food, for example change normal pasta for wholemeal or gluten free?
also if you eat yoghurts cut them out completely i did this and saw a big change!!

Thank you everyone. I did WW before I was pregnant - and also got to about the same weight and then stuck, but reaaly dont want to go back to it as I love SW - but maybe I do need a complete change.

I had a couple of days off plan last week (with the same thinking!) and STS at weigh in. I was a lot happier with than that than sticking rigidly to it and gaining! I dont really want to have a couple of weeks of until my holiday - but I'll keep it in mind.

I have done fast forward before and seem to remember I did have a loss - so may have to try that.... wonder if I have the leaflet still?!

I eat yoghurts off and on - and unfortunately have about 12 in the fridge at the moment ..... but maybe next week I'll try that!

How about changing your hexa/b? I was stuck in a rut for 3 weeks (gain, gain, maintain :mad:) and then I tried swapping my all bran and milk for a hi-fi and a few laughing cows and I lost 3.5 the next week! :eek: I don't know if that was the reason but it seemed to work. Herbal teas instead of normal tea are good for the metabolism too apparently, twinings do a really tasty range that you just add water to... good to fill up on x

I know that on sw we shouldn't be counting calories.but sometimes it can be helpful to check how much we actually eat.sometimes we don't eat enough and sometimes we eat too much.

Also,apart from all the great tips on here whcih I would really try - try not to get too uptight about it.i only weigh myself every month now and let the weight loss run its course.
I know a friend she had a plateau for half a year but stuck to her diet anyway. After half a year she started losing weight again...i know it sounds a long time but at the end of the day we have to remember why we started sw...not just to lose weight but to change our eating habits for good. So you might as well stick to it and not concentrate too much on weight loss..

Also a few other tips:don't eat after a certain time, try to cut out carbs at night and have it only with max 2 meals a day, try to eat fruit only in the morning.

Hope that helps!

Thank you everyone your comments are really helpful. - I've done the green tea, and did change around my HExs a few weeks ago, but its possible I may be slipping back into my old faves (bread!).

Hmm - haven't tried the not eating late/cutting the carbs/fruit in the am... so will have a look at what I am eating when.

That thread is great - there's not not much there I dont know/havent tried but its really great to be reminded!!

How dispiriting for you. I've just started SW because I'd been low carbing and got to a point where I wasn't losing and that had happened before with it - and if you go off piste with that, you're lost really - there's no flexibility. My trainer has recommended in the past not having carbs after 6pm (meaning pasta, potatoes, rice etc - not that you can't have any at all) and making sure you drink at least two litres of water a day and not having any caffeine.

I also noticed on the common misconceptions thread that you need to eat your syns to lose weight - are you having yours? I don't know why that would be, but perhaps to let your body know that you're not going to starve it?

Am also going to have a bit of a soup day tomorrow with the Dyno Rod soup - fill up on lots of vege as I'm lousy at eating them.

Are you doing any exercise or are you able to? That would keep up your metabolism and perhaps it's dropped because your weight has dropped - so you're using fewer calories each day to power your body. (Not sure if that makes sense).

Good luck!

Thanks GG - I have been having my syns - usually 15 at the weekend and about 5-10 in the week...so evening out over the week.
I have been exercising and was eating loads of superfree and speed foods - so my consultant thought that maybe I was not getting enough calories for the amount of exercise so tried to eat a bit more free foods.... but I may be over-doing the carbs. I guess not eating carbs in the evening could help me reduce the bread/spuds!
I was eating loads of soup when I started (it was winter!) so may try that too.

Back