Holiday survival guide

charliesworld

It's getting to that time of year and holidays are coming up. I guess quite a few of us will be going away over Easter.

I'm off to Cornwall for a week on saturday, the home of the Cornish pasty, clotted cream and fudge lol. And then at the end of May we are going on a free (thanks to Tresco vouchers :)) holiday to the Isle of Wight.

I'm after survival tips. I don't want to feel like I'm being deprived while I'm away by denying myself stuff because that will just make me want to overeat on the wrong things but at the same time I want to minimise the damage. What do you do to help you stay on track while you are on holiday? :D

What a great thread! I'm off to the Lake District for a week tomorrow & plan to use the following things to help have a loss on my return:-
1. I'm going to start a food diary thread on here so I will confess to anything naughty straight away which will hopefully curb too much badness?!
2. We are self-catering fortunately so already have SW friendly dinners planned for most nights. We are going out for one meal but have looked at restaurant menu online to help follow the plan.
3. Lots of fruit for breakfast; saves HEs for later in day & gets you off to a good start.
4. Lots of exercise! I'm lucky that we have access to a hotel pool & gym facilities so that coupled with lots of walks = body magic heaven!
5. Plan your treats. As above we are having a meal out & also meeting friends another day for tea & cake out. As I know I'm having these syns already, I will try to be aware and limit myself elsewhere.
6. If you have a 'bad' day, TRY to limit it to that. Put it behind you, move on & stick the plan after that. Do not say 'sod it, I'm on holiday & I've blown it now anyway' :)
7. ENJOY yourself!! SW isn't a 'diet' remember so if you want a treat, have it. You can lose it again but just remember it'll take you that little bit longer.
Blimey - this has become an essay!! Sorry for preaching but I've spent a lot of time working out how I can be good this holiday so thought I'd share my ideas!
Have a fab time!

I'm away to Stratford in May then France in July. Straftford I really need to be good to keep me on track for the summer. Went to France last year - spent 2 weeks eating cheese/bread/cakes and drinking loads, got back and had put 3lb on so was well pleased. Dont think I snack on rubbish when its hot!!

For Stratford though we'll be taking picnics out a lot (weather depending) so I'll be taking my plastic containers with me so I can make a salad/cous cous/pasta etc. I expect to still have a small gain after a week but hopefully will be able to keep it in check. Hoping to walk a lot too!!!

we are going away to wales staying in a gorgeous house with an aga so will obviously doing our own cooking .. from the advice on here im going to follow the extra easy plan that week so that we can have more of a variety in our meals without feeling deprived.. big english for breakfast.. steak and sw chips, chicken in bacon and new potatos, nice treaty teas that arnt unlimited ( well up to a point atleast!).. we'll take our cool bag so if we go out for the day i'll make up cous cous, pasta salads to keep us going in the day with alpen light bars and fruit...
my syns will be for gin and tonics in the eve!! we are going to a big family party the day we get back so i dont want to be there feeling like all bloated and wishing i hadnt pigged out that week!!

If anyone is coming over to the Costa Blanca the supermarkets are great for fresh fruit and veg. I buy mine at the markets (Sunday in my case), in this area there is a market somewhere everyday.

Strawberries and Melons are around at the moment (both Super Speed) according to my book - so am eating loads of both.

If anyone wants accommodation on the Sunny Costa Blanca for their holiday, please get in touch.

suespain said:
If anyone is coming over to the Costa Blanca the supermarkets are great for fresh fruit and veg. I buy mine at the markets (Sunday in my case), in this area there is a market somewhere everyday.

Strawberries and Melons are around at the moment (both Super Speed) according to my book - so am eating loads of both.

If anyone wants accommodation on the Sunny Costa Blanca for their holiday, please get in touch.

Hi sue, may look at going away next year. Is there somewhere u can recommend ? X

i am at my MIL next weekend and she has tried SW, but hated it as she doesn't like cooking and loves bread. I think I'm going to be sneaking some Alpen Lights, Babybel lights and Mugshots into my bag.

Hi sue, may look at going away next year. Is there somewhere u can recommend ? X

Hi Lisa

I run a holiday rental accommodation business here on the Southern Costa Blanca (Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa) - I have quite a few nice properties near beaches.

I'm going on a cruise in July - Needless to say endless free food and drinks are going to be a nightmare! Has anyone survived a cruise?! I can't wait for the holiday, although the thought of all of the food is really scaring me! xxx

suespain said:
Hi Lisa

I run a holiday rental accommodation business here on the Southern Costa Blanca (Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa) - I have quite a few nice properties near beaches.

Hi can u send me some details of the properties incl costs? Tried to private msg u my email address but couldn't, can u PM me urs & I'll reply?

I'm going on a cruise in July - Needless to say endless free food and drinks are going to be a nightmare! Has anyone survived a cruise?! I can't wait for the holiday, although the thought of all of the food is really scaring me! xxx

Hubby and I have been on several cruises. The food is great and I never refuse anything. Probably why I ended up on here!! I estimate that on a two week cruise I gain 7 to 10 lbs. It depends on how much walking you so and whether or not you visit the gym. We try to walk everywhere while sightseeing but I don't do the gym. There are passengers who spend half the time at sea walking round and round the deck but it just seems pointless to me when there is so much going on. I just get back on the plan when I come home and a few pounds goes quickly as soon as you start eating 'normally'. The rest takes more of an effort but it's worth it. After one cruise we were hooked and not because of the food!!! Have a fabulous time. We are going again in September.

hiya

I have returned from a week in Lanzarote and gained half a pound. I think the gain was over last weekend when i came home as well rather than the holiday, probably lost on holiday.

Just for an idea my average day was: -

Brekkie - 2 wholemeal toast eggs and ham and fruit

Lunch - Chicken salad, jacket potato or a pizza one day!!!!

Dinner - Tried to choose healthy, lean meat fish, veg or salad and potato. Did have cips a couple of times and also a chinese and an indian!!!!

Drank wine every night and a few magners one day.

BUT!!!!

Drank loads of water every day

Went to the hotel gym a couple of times

Tried to swim 40 lengths every day in the pool

Walked for at least an hour a day (back and forward to marinal for meals and drinks)

Never picked between meals on anything and never had one ice cream or chocolate all week

I never felt deprived at all and had a lovely holiday xx

Back