Home Made healthy Yogurt

madchef

I wonder if any of have thought of making your own yogurt, it is so easy and you can make it how you prefer, either sweet or savory, this is how I do mine

1 litre plus capacity Thermos Flask or Food Flask, I bought this one: Style Works Food Flask 1ltr | Flasks | Plastic Food Storage from Wilkinson Plus which has a handy little container with lid which is useful.

I litre fully skimmed UHT milk = approx 350 kcal 3g fat.
1/2 tub/100g of Asda low fat natural yogurt = 67 kcal 1.5 g fat.
2 Tbsp. of Dried Milk, Asda, about 100 kcal 0.2 fat ( guessoclogy!)

UHT milk does not have to be boiled as it is already sterilised, pour in a large jug about 2/3rds; the yogurt and dried milk and mix well. Put a mug full of the remaining milk into another container and pop in microwave and heat to nigh on boiling but do NOT boil.
Add to mixture, test temperature with finger if it feels a little warm, tepid but not hot it is right.

Pour into the flask which you have already warmed, fill with boiling water until you need it. If you have some space heat up the remaining milk and top up, mix well.

Screw on the lid and leave flask overnight, the following morning you will have a flask full of yummy yogurt. If you like it thick pour off the "whey", the liquid on top.

Before putting into a container in the fridge, take off a generous couple of tablespoonfuls and pop int o container and place in the freezer. This is the starter for your next batch of yogurt, defrost before using, you can do this 3 times before having to buy another live yogurt.

Alternatively you can make another batch of yogurt, strain well in a clean tea towel for a couple of hours, it comes out like cottage cheese, it is yummy dip with crackers, seasoned with salt, ground black pepper, dried garlic and herbs.

hi joany! thats a GREAT recipie planning on trying it tonight. how you get fruit flavored youghrt? do you add the fruit in at the start?

hi joany! thats a GREAT recipie planning on trying it tonight. how you get fruit flavored youghrt? do you add the fruit in at the start?
Yes I must admit it is yummy and adding the dried milk makes it thicker n creamier and of course tops up the calcium content. As I only ever eat plain yogurt I can't help you with fruit ones but if you Google homemade fruit yoghurt's you will find a lot of info but this one is an easy one to find ideas. Homemade Flavored Yogurt (Yoghurt) Recipe

Back