Home made mayonnaise

I do!
My number one tip is to always have your ingredients at room temperature. If they are too cold it can be a disaster!
Next, choose your oil - sunflower is the most neutral tasting. If you want to use olive oil, make sure it is the mild and light one - never extra virgin, it tastes vile as mayo! Cold pressed rapeseed oil is good but is very expensive and not everyones taste. If this is your first attempt I would start with sunflower.
I think a handheld electric whisk is important too. Doesn't need a fast setting.

I make my mayo thus....

Whisk together one egg yolk, a capful of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
The you simply whisk whilst drizzling the oil in. A little at a time is the key and keep adding oil until you get your desired consistency.
Once it is made you can stir in any other flavouring you fancy. I have tried lemon juice, garlic, harrisa, smoked chilli paste and curry powder so far and they are all lovely!

Good luck!

I've been lucky so far and not has any disasters but definitely agree that when you are learning you should go really slow with the oil. If the mixture splits it means that you've added too much oil but it is easily fixed by adding another beaten egg yolk.

Back