home made yoghurt

CHRISR

Gold Member
Total yog is getting too expensive and previously made my own yoghurt in a slow cooker but I want it very thick like Total.

Im wanting to buy a yoghurt machine in the next few days -

Lakeland? £19.99
Rachel Allen? on Ebay £16.99

quite a few on the market so which is the best do you think?

i use the lakeland and use a tbsp of starter & 2 tbsp of milk powder and id say mines is almost as thick as total without straining.... very easy to use & everything goes in at the start... switch on for 8 hours and forget about it :)

I also have the Lakeland one and find it so much less hassle than doing it with the slow cooker. I leave out the milk powder these days, switch it on before bed and it's lovely and creamy. I tend to split mine and strain half for a really thick 'eating' yoghurt and the rest thinner for baking muffins.

So reading this you all recommend a yogurt maker? I saw the you tube vid on how to in the slow cooker.....didn't fancy it, moving on to making your own is it better Dukan wise, than shop bought???

So reading this you all recommend a yogurt maker? I saw the you tube vid on how to in the slow cooker.....didn't fancy it, moving on to making your own is it better Dukan wise, than shop bought???

Haven't done it for a while but I make my homemade yogurt in a flask, you can make it as thick as you like, tastes really mild and lovely and is very cheap (and doesn't clutter up my cupboards with dusty stuff I'll barely use :D)

home made yog is really good much nicer and cheaper. Quite like the look of Rachel Allen's one with 7 seperate pots easy to take to work

I tried the slow cooker method but couldnt get it right - lakeland electric one perfect everytime - 2 tsp live yog long life skimmed milk and turn on for 8 or 9 hours - easy peasy! Scoop off top liquid with a spoon and youve got lovely creamy yoghurt for a fraction of the price!

I'm also thinking about buying a yoghurt maker. Getting fed up of spending all my cash on Total! What do you actually put in the maker tho? I'm new to all this! haha

I put in 2 tsp live yog (i use yeo valley ff probiotic) and a pint and a half of long life skimmed milk at room temperature - mix it slowly put lid on and turn on for 8 hours - easy! Then for next batch you can use 2 tsp of the yoghurt you have just made! I used to spend a fortune on nat yog!

The natural yoghurt I buy is 55p for a 500g tub.... how much would it cost to make the same amount with a yoghurt maker? x

I get a litre of thick yoghurt for about the same price

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

yep... plus its very low fat and no extras added... you can strain it so its like clotted cream or strain it longer and make cheese with added herbs pepper etc :p

haha yep minimins before breakfast... was up for the loo at 4.30 with hubby and couldnt get back to sleep... just had my first coffee and trying to hold off for my muffins otherwise id be starving at 9 oclock again lol

Oh no Ellie!!! so its you who has the fairy, I'm at work very uncomfortable give her the sat nav and sent her down hear x

i was up for a wee at that time LOL ... but the fairy did come later and gave me a good 1lb clear out lol

Don't wanabe, that stroganoff sounds very, very nice :)

Don't wanabe, that stroganoff sounds very, very nice :)

Well it would just be thinly sliced turkey; chicken breast; steak, stir fried with a tbs of chopped onion (unless you are at a stage where you can have more onion), then a few tbs or even half a 300g tub of strained fat free yogurt and a bit of seasoning.

My tip is to use a very sharp knife to cut the meat whilst it is still slightly frozen, that way you can get it wafer thin and it looks like you have a hell of a lot more on your plate.

I did make my husband a pasta sauce using half a tin of chopped toms, some italian seasoning, some strained yogurt and grated cheese. I didn't tell him that I used yogurt to make the sauce as he is a funny b*gger and would turn his nose up at it, what he doesn't know won't hurt him, he wolfed it down!

:D

Back