homemade yoghurt - wasted day :-((

curvygirlie

I'm so brassed off - tried to make my own yoghurt in the slow cooker today. I've just uncovered it and it's just like milk, like it was when i started itthis morning!

can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

Put 1 litre UHT milk in slow cooker on low for 2.5 hrs

turned off slow cooker and left for three hours

then added 1 tbsp dried milk powder and 1 tbsp yeo valley natural yoghurt (green tub)
I noticed at this point that the milk wasn't very warm - barely lukewarm.

wrapped slowcooker with foil and blanket for 8 hours.

I've thrown it down the sink -
Gutted :cry:

This happened to me the other day.

After the 2.5 hrs I switched off intending to add my starter yog and milk powder after the 3 hour period.

I had forgotten about the school run and by the time I came back the milk was barely warm. Failure!

Your milk was too cold which normally only happens if you leave it switched off for too long or your s/c is on the blink.

You say you added after 3 hrs so I think your s/c may need replacing.

Adding the extas when the milk is too hot will kill off the bacteria in the starter yoghurt, adding the extras when the milk is too cold will not entice the bacteria to grow.

yay! a good excuse to buy a new slow cooker! i've been wanting a new one but couldn't justify it..until now;)

like i need an excuse to spend money..lol! :D

yay! a good excuse to buy a new slow cooker! i've been wanting a new one but couldn't justify it..until now;)

like i need an excuse to spend money..lol! :D

I am getting another small 1.5ltr one just for yoghurt as I am the only one who eats it so I only make 1ltr at a time.

They don't know what they are missing.

:D

Ive never had a yoghurt misshap since I bought the lakeland yoghurt maker.... Everything goes in at the start switch on for 8 hours .... voila perfect yoghurt ;)

Can someone tell me what the point is to making your own yoghurt??? Not being cheeky, honest question!

Oh really?! 8 hours of slow cooking just seems like a bit of a bore just for yoghurt :/ If it was for something dessert-y or cake-y I might consider it ;)

you can also make boursin style cheese the same way ;)

And it is so much cheaper. Total 0% is £2 a pot all my family eat yoghurt so I now make my own thank you to DWTBF50 for the original post. Had a few disasters but I think ive got it now. Bought a piece of muslin too for straining.
So much nicer than shop bought good in savoury sauces too. I made a dip the other day - garlic & mint my 3 couldnt get enough of it!!! Have another go you wont be disappointed

It definately saves memoney as I use a fair bit baking muffins and eating on it's

Oh really?! 8 hours of slow cooking just seems like a bit of a bore just for yoghurt :/ If it was for something dessert-y or cake-y I might consider it ;)

It isn't actually 8 hours of 'slow cooking', it is 2½ hrs of cooking, you don't use 8hrs worth of electricity (not that it would cost you a lot in electric for 8 hours, a matter of pence).

;)

Plus you can alter the way this tastes ie leave for 8 hours and it has a mild creamy taste, leave for 10 to 12 hours plus and you will have a more tart taste.

Oh no, it's not about the money for me or the electricity bill, it's just the hassle for a bit of yoghurt...but for boursin style cheese it could be worth it! I really miss my cheeses!

WOW, thanks SO much Don'twanna!!! I'm definitely going to give that a go x

just wondered, if I wanted to eat the homemade boursin in consolidation phase, would i be limited to the prescribed 40g for cheese, or can I treat it as dairy and eat up to 500g ( not that i would eat that much, but just for argument's sake)

WOW, thanks SO much Don'twanna!!! I'm definitely going to give that a go x

Don't forget, if you add salt make sure you grind it up first to a powder or you will have grains in your cheese which doesn't taste too good (well I don't think so anyway).

If you haven't got a mortar and pestle just use the end of a rolling pin.

;)

Back