◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

I agree with chris my electric lakeland yoghurt maker is one of the best things i ever bought and so easy to make lovely yoghurt!

Thanks Chris and Scooter. Those machines sound like a great idea! I tried doubling the starter and adding them at 105 degrees, and while it was definitely yoghurt, it wasn't particularly thick. It was a little slimy too! I might look into the lakeland yoghurt maker instead.

lakeland machine worth every penny - I love thick yoghurt - you can stand your spoon up in it! I strain through muslin in the fridge - lovely stuff

I was reading on lakeland reviews of this as although i love the yoghurt maker to bits i find it a pain to have to mess about straining it to make it thicker - someone on there said they warm milk in micro first and add marvel powder and tbsp starter yog! result!! Thick yoghurt with no straining! love my little yoghurt maker even more now!!

yup its thick in the machine... i just pour any whey away when im taking some out

Oops, I've been and bought a 1.5 slow cooker. I already have a massive one which was whey to big ;)

I am determined to have a go at making yogurt. I buy Asda smart price lo fat normally and at 55p a pot x 3 in the week thats £1.65 a week they are only half a litre too. I reckon that if it would normally cost me £1.10 for a litre and its 59p for a litre of skim milk, then already I've saved half the cost. 20 pots of yog and its paid for the cooker.

Can I recap the bits I've read and someone tell me if I am right, I hate getting things wrong and can't afford to waste food,

1 litre of Skim Milk UHT
1 tbsp of Live Yog - pref Yeo - Room Temp
1 tbsp Marvel Skim Milk Powder

Heat milk on high for 3 hours.
turn off and let cool for couple of hours till approx 100deg (how do you know if you don't have a thermometer)
Add Yog and Powder. Mix
Leave to stand for approx 8 hours
Drain for approx 2-3 hours then tub up.

Did I get it right LOL. I've read about four pages begining and end of the thread rather than go through the 16 pages, thats what I've kind of gathered from what people have said.

Oops forgot to say I bought one from B&M stores for £9.99....saved a fiver on the Argos value one.

Last edited:
Well just to update, I have followed my interpretaions of the instructions, and have watched a few vids on youtube and my yogurt is now starting its overnight faze of its recipes. fingers crossed.

What is the difference please between using UHT milk & ordinary milk?

UHT is sterilised hun so can be kept on a shelf in its carton prior to opening, has a longer shelf life, doesnt need to be in the fridge until it is opened.

UHT skimmed milk is best for this recipe. i use it at least three times a week to make yogurt. I buy Aldi red carton of 'cowbelle skimmed milk' I have started (months ago now) making it in the microwave. I pour the milk into the slow cooker bowl, microwave on 600W for 14min. Leave to cool til luke warm, then add room temp live yog. I use 2tbs of my last yogurt. and a good two heaped spoons of skim milk powder. It works for me every time, and saves me a small fortune. i don't drain it at all, it gets me two nearly full 500ml cartons. So it costs me 53p for one carton of milk to make two tubs of yogurt......whereas Asda SM cheap is 55p for 1 carton. Saved double money already.

Thanks DNSF
have been making it in slow cooker using regular milk & wondered what the difference would be. I'm happy with the way it turns out though. You're so right, it does save a fortune. I got my slowcooker just before Christmas & have already saved more than the £19.99 it cost esp as I've used it for cooking other stuff as well!

I don't know, is it a live yogurt. yeo valley green pot is a live one, thats the one I use.

What yogurt does everyone use as a starter i have used a low fat one and it has produced a slimy yogurt every time not a bad tasting yogurt but i cant eat it because i hate the texture

I use yeo valley organic (1 little tub to 4 pints of milk) & that works for me.

Back