Extra Easy Honest Advice Required

Hi! I am a yo-yoer with a bad track record. I lost a LOT on LighterLife and then proceeded to put it all, and a bit more, back on. I subsequently have a load to lose again (about 10st ideally) and am unsure if I can do that on Slimming World or am I better off going for something such as a gastric band?

Basically I want to know if it's possible to lose that level naturally in under about two years or not?

Thanks,
Beth x

It is possible, but Slimming World is about making a lifestyle change and not a Quick Fix.

Weight Loss Surgery is suitable for some people, however I believe it should be a last resort in cases such as this. That may be because I would never be able to afford it though haha.

I would say join SW for a few weeks and see how it works for you.

Good Luck in whatever journey you choose xx

Thanks so much for your reply. I am totally up for changing my lifestyle (finally) - all I'm worried about is the fact my BMI is so high and every other diet I've ever followed has let me lose about a stone and a half before declaring: WE WILL LOSE NO MORE!

I have only been doing this a few weeks and I have 10 stone to lose too, I considered a gastric band too, but I dont want to have to use such drastic measures before trying something that I have seen work for so many other people. Do you have social media? There are so many inspirational people on there, who have lost 10 stone and more, as well as on this site. I don't post much on Minimins but I am on here everyday.

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the forum!

I honestly believe that if you give Slimming World a try it will help you to develop a positive relationship with food- something that so many of us when entering our first Slimming World class have never had and we try it as our "last chance saloon". And guess what, it works! Slimming World is a brilliant, healthy eating plan which absolutely works and I would recommend that over surgery any day. I know that in desperation, we feel like nothing will work after trying so many different things, but this really does work. My local Primary Care Trust pays for overweight patients to have 10-12 sessions at SW. That's how good it is!

I notice that your weight is at 18st 10lbs. That's the same as my starting weight- although, it does seem that your BMI is lower (I think mine is 50-something- I'm not sure!). As someone who is in the same position at the starting line, I would encourage you to make changes with this wonderful eating plan before looking at extreme surgery which will affect you for the rest of your life. Believe me, you can do it!

You have a very realistic goal. Even if you aimed to lose 1lb per week, you would lose 7.5 stones. How fab is that!

If you haven't already got it, I would recommend that you buy the latest copy of the SW magazine and read Dave Hudson's story on pages 104-106. Dave was also considering the gastric surgery, but instead joined SW and lost 12 stones 6.5lbs in 11 months. I'm not saying that is what you should aim for as Dave was over 28 stones as his starting weight, and men generally tend to lose more weight on average each week, but I hope you will be inspired and realise that the healthy way is possible.

Anyway, I would encourage you to join SW and give it a go. After all, what could you lose!

I wish you all the best!xx

Slimming World all the way:)

I don't have as much as you to lose but I have lost well over two stone in the past 9 months and that's including falling off the wagon twice!

I initially joined SW online and lost a stone and a bit over 3 months. I then took a break but after putting 5 lb back on I tried a different diet in November and Dec and lost another stone. I put half a stone back on over Christmas and going on holiday in February, but then I joined SW class 5 weeks ago and have since lost a stone and feel great. I'm loving going to class and the gang at my group are a good laugh and I'm just getting to know them all. I'm managing to sucessfully balance having a life and losing weight and I feel like I'm in it for the long haul.

Last weekend I went away and I enjoyed a few treats, but nowhere near what I would have had BSW (before slimming world!) and I'm still hoping for a loss tonight at WI (fingers crossed)

If I were you I would find your local class online NOW and contact the consultant straight away. The sooner you start the sooner you will be saying "blimey, I've lost a stone already"!!

Good luck

Thank you so much for your support everyone. I have decided to find my nearest group and I'll be going along ASAP. They meet on a Tuesday and sadly I can't get out of arrangements until the week after next. I'm going to give this my best go before I think about going down the surgery route =) If others can do it and get it off then so can I. Onwards and downwards the natural way!! <3

I have about 12st to lose and I've lost almost 2 stone in 10 or so weeks. If you're looking for massive losses like you get on the VLCDs, then you will be disappointed. But if you really stick to it, which isn't difficult because you can eat SO MUCH! and still have treats and things that other dies would ban like crisps and chocolate (if in syn allowance obviously), it totally changes the way you see food and it's really helped my relationship to food. I now see a small chocolate bar as a treat, whereas before i woulda thought 'if im gonna have chocolate, i want a big old bar! and sweets! and wine!' haha.

I really believe in sw, I think it's a great plan, and it's something you can follow forever. I think it helps teach you how to cook from scratch in a healthy way, how to eat better, and you lose weight doing it. The key is sticking to it!!

I must admit I'm actually pretty glad it won't be as quick as my VLCD was... Losing all that weight really fast left me with more belly troubles than I'll ever be able to sort out... Plus it sort of messed with my head because I didn't have the chance to assimiliate that I was getting littler.

This is the last lifestyle change I ever intend to do so I'm glad to see I don't have to cut out all the naughty bits that I enjoy. Plus, the recipes on here look fab so however hard it might be I won't feel like I'm pulling my hair out for ideas of what to eat!!

Good luck, misscrossleigh. You'll find loads of support on here and, even if you only come on for a good old moan sometimes, it's so helpful knowing that everyone's in the same position. I think varying what you eat and treating yourself (within your Syn allowance) to a little of what you fancy, are key to sticking with it and enjoying what you eat. :)

Kathy

I managed 8 stone in 57 weeks, it is entirely possible to lose what you aspire to within two years, naturally.

Personally, I opted for following the plan for most of a year then I started going to the Gym to bolster my progress, now it's about week 12 of my training program and I have lost 8 stone 3 pounds so I can attest to it working for larger amounts :)

You guys are all so lovely. Got the magazine and I was like o_O you people are amazing!! Really raring to go now so can't wait to get to group. I'm sure I'll be on here plenty to moan and groan but I'm going to stick at it regardless. <3

I've been in group for 10 months now and have lost 5.5 stone. It's definitely doable as long as you are truly dedicated and willing to make the change to your lifestyle.

Best of luck - be sure to keep us updated!

Wow, Storm and PhoenixGirl! That's amazing!! Well done, both of you! :)

Good luck, misscrossleigh - I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!

Kathy x

Hello misscrossleigh,

I myself am a yoyo dieter and have even had a consultant meeting about having the band done. I have done sw before and have lost up to 41/2 stone on it, but due to hospitalisation I went off of it for a year and I didn't have the right mindset to get back on the losing saddle.

When I went to see the consultant, I was at my heaviest at 18st 3lb. They said that having the op had many repercussions. It limits the amount your body can intake, so you have to eat the right things. If you have a mars bar one day..your in the poop. Whereas you can have one on sw. The operation causes a lot of stress on the body as well, it takes a couple of weeks to heal and you need to be careful when you're coughing or sneezing. Things like fizzy drinks can actually cause a lot of stress when you go to the bathroom and they can also undo the work by stretching the stomach out. They also say you have to prove that you can change your lifestyle to suit the changes the band creates. So they ask you to lose a certain amount of weight, for me they said 3 stone. Then you can have the op.

I lost 3 stone and decided to stay on sw. I believed why should I risk an op, when I can have and eat what I want, but in a healthy way and get the same results.

The way I see it, I'm a yoyoer. I could get the operation, but that requires the right mindset. I can't resist food it I know I can't have it. But since I can have anything on sw, I CHOOSE not to have it and stay on track that way. You might be different, having the operation might force you to keep on track, you may never slip again. We are all different, it's up to you to decide what works best for you and to think seriously about the future. Can you see yourself out with friends eating specific things. Are you someone happy to have a scar? Are you prepared to be around food and ignore it?

Just know that it is always your choice and if you choose the band or sw, or even do both, you'll have support from the people on this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hello misscrossleigh,

I myself am a yoyo dieter and have even had a consultant meeting about having the band done. I have done sw before and have lost up to 41/2 stone on it, but due to hospitalisation I went off of it for a year and I didn't have the right mindset to get back on the losing saddle.

When I went to see the consultant, I was at my heaviest at 18st 3lb. They said that having the op had many repercussions. It limits the amount your body can intake, so you have to eat the right things. If you have a mars bar one day..your in the poop. Whereas you can have one on sw. The operation causes a lot of stress on the body as well, it takes a couple of weeks to heal and you need to be careful when you're coughing or sneezing. Things like fizzy drinks can actually cause a lot of stress when you go to the bathroom and they can also undo the work by stretching the stomach out. They also say you have to prove that you can change your lifestyle to suit the changes the band creates. So they ask you to lose a certain amount of weight, for me they said 3 stone. Then you can have the op.

I lost 3 stone and decided to stay on sw. I believed why should I risk an op, when I can have and eat what I want, but in a healthy way and get the same results.

The way I see it, I'm a yoyoer. I could get the operation, but that requires the right mindset. I can't resist food it I know I can't have it. But since I can have anything on sw, I CHOOSE not to have it and stay on track that way. You might be different, having the operation might force you to keep on track, you may never slip again. We are all different, it's up to you to decide what works best for you and to think seriously about the future. Can you see yourself out with friends eating specific things. Are you someone happy to have a scar? Are you prepared to be around food and ignore it?

Just know that it is always your choice and if you choose the band or sw, or even do both, you'll have support from the people on this forum.

Hi, you weigh less than me. Surely, you're not heavy enough to qualify for weight loss surgery? Sorry, I know I'm being nosey, please don't feel obliged to answer, but I'm just surprised because I wouldn haven't thought you're heavy enough to qualify for it on the NHS, unless you were paying privately.

Hi misscrossleigh, welcome :)

I was 19st 1lb when I started this journey, now 5 stone lighter. It is completely possible to lose all your weight slowly and healthily in 2 years, in a way that teaches you a new healthy eating regime for life, not just a quick fix "diet".

I originally lost 5 stone exactly in 2011 in 9 months with SW. Then sadly I went through a divorce and 'stepped off' the wagon for a while, rejoining in January this year. In the interim I regained 1st 12lbs. Not ideal admittedly but I was quite proud of myself for not just putting the whole lot back on! And I know that the main reason I didn't is that SW completely changed my relationship with food and taught me to eat properly. I've just got to the point now where I'm back to a 5stone total loss, so it's onwards and downwards from here!

I think the surgery depends on other health problems and how you carry your weight as well as the numbers themselves. They never specified about there being a weight start limit with me, but as I was only in for a consultation perhaps that's why. My family has a lot of heart/blood pressure problems even though they are skinny. Therefore I'm at a higher risk with my poor diet ect. I can't honestly say whether there is a limit on it as they didn't say anything about that to me, just that if I intended to have the operation I'd need to show I can stay on a regime and all the side affects, ect.

My heaviest was 24stone almost and I couldn't fit into size 28jeans... After that I was desperate for weight loss surgery my NHS trust didn't offer it unless you have diabetes so that didn't get far, I lost 5 stone or so before I started slimming world, I lost it by... Eating breakfast! Lol it's so silly I spent so long eating just one big meal at the end of the day suddenly eating three meals a day made me loose weight :p

it it took me two years to loose that 5 stone I kept going to the gym and stopping and starting. I stayed the same for a few years too now then two months ago I joined slimming world. I have been up and down, I make it to every other group because of work so I only see half the weigh ins :( I was -6, +3, -6, +.5, -6 but it is working and I'm so glad I joined.
its not as quick as weight loss surgery, but after looking into surgery it is very scary the amount of people who regain the weight... I wish I had joined slimming world ages ago. For me, knowing that someone will weigh me... That keeps me going. I feel I owe it to the person weighing me to put the effort in and loose weight.

Purple, you will be able to look forward to post-loss surgery instead.
I was in a similar position to you but I was making not brilliant choices as I wasn't paying particularly close attention to what I ate. If the label looked healthy, I generally trusted it as healthy when actually, it had a lot of hidden junk in it.

Now I make the majority of my own food and don't trust many people to make anything else due to the processed stuff in burgers, sausages etc. I'm disappointed that I discovered SW so late on but it is essentially a healthy eating plan which is Macrobiotic as well. :)

Back