How annoying!

i agree with putting a sign up.
i would recommend putting it in the weighin area.
if u feel awkward about it why not do it as a mutual agreement , making it less noticeable as a personal message to certain individuals.
for example how about :
what you can expect from me as your cambridge councellor : regular weigh ins
regular measurements
advice where necessary
i will always let u know if i must cancel and/or change an apointment,
etc etc etc
what i expect from you as a cambridge client:
: be polite and none abusive
arrive on time for ur appointments as other clients may be waiting
phone/text/letter to advice me of cancelation of your next appointment (please try to give 24 hours notice if at all possible as i may be able to give the appoinment to another client needing to see me)
etc etc.
u catch my drift.
im sure it would be read by all and hopefully would be completely respected.
gl with however u decide to resolve this situation
cherylxx

cherylxx

Aaaah, if only......which is why I'm sitting here reading this thread, despite enclosing such information in my starter pack for the last 20+ years.

Tonight's conversation went:

Client: "I sent you an email on Monday, didn't you get it?"

Lesly: "Well, would I be phoning you now if I had?"

Aaaah, if only......which is why I'm sitting here reading this thread, despite enclosing such information in my starter pack for the last 20+ years.

:giggle:

i would recommend putting it in the weighin area.
if u feel awkward about it why not do it as a mutual agreement , making it less noticeable as a personal message to certain individuals.
for example how about :
what you can expect from me as your cambridge councellor : regular weigh ins
regular measurements
advice where necessary
i will always let u know if i must cancel and/or change an apointment,
etc etc etc
what i expect from you as a cambridge client:
: be polite and none abusive
arrive on time for ur appointments as other clients may be waiting
phone/text/letter to advice me of cancelation of your next appointment (please try to give 24 hours notice if at all possible as i may be able to give the appoinment to another client needing to see me)
etc etc.
u catch my drift.
gl with however u decide to resolve this situation
cherylxx

I like this idea. its really good :) :)

Well a big thanks to you all for your replies

Like Lesly I do give my clients an information sheet at their first meeting explaining just that - what they can expect from and what I ask from them, along with how to pay, links to Minimins and others things, obviously Lesly still has these sorts of problems despite doing this for 20 years! I guess some people just don't read it, or don't think it applies to them - Hedgehog you're spot on with the "oh you know me attitude" that makes it alright. I think in the case of my late lady, she likes everyone to know how busy she is, so can't possibly be on time- like that makes it alright!

A notice on the wall though is another good idea - thanks Spooky :) Make it a bit more obvious although, again, some people are so thick skinned it does need spelling out.

Really appreciate the feedback guys, I definately feel better now about tackling these clients.

MadamDotty....where did u get your Adipose?!?! It's soooooo cute!

Trish x

My sister sent it to me on FaceBook as I'd posted on my daily status that I was wondering where I could my hands on some. She's a big Dr Who fan too.

I don't know if you can copy & save it from my Avatar (you're more than welcome) but if not I can always email it to you as an attachment
x

I think some people are just so ignorant, they think that they are the only ones that count and that the whole world can wait for them, and in the main they seem to get away with it because we tend not to be confrontational beings.

I used to have a 45 minute drive to my CDC and always arrived too early for fear of being late, so I would sit in my car around the corner (so she didn't see me waiting) until our appt time. Evenso, quite often the client before me had only just got there and was eating into my appt time, grrrr!

well done Jan.
a thread like this needed to be started.

It'd be nice to think that some of the culprits will be shamed into better manners by reading it, but I doubt v much that the DNA'ers ( NHS shorthand for Did Not Attend) are going to be visiting mini's.

neverthe less it doesn't do any harm to have a gripe.

I too have clients like this.

(but like jan said they are the minority. Most days I open my diary to check who's booked in & think 'oh good x & Y etc are coming they'll be fun, interesting, informative etc) H O W E V E R...

the worst & most inexcuseable are the ones who phone & in my husbands words 'Need an emergency cambridge' I put my self out to accomodate them & then NOTHING!.
Had a run of these in early Jan: next year I'll know that some of the post chrismas referrals are doing it as a reflex response to their indulgence & not as a considered mature decision.

The 2nd are those who you've spent time with getting them up & running, then they don't answer the phone when you ring on day 3/4. Don't reply to a polite enquiring message & don't turn up to their booked 2nd appt. (although by this time I've begun to expect they won't come)
It costs nothing to call or leave a message or email to say 'thanks but no thanks'
I even tell new clients that the diet doesn't suit absolutly everyone! no diet does. If there were a single perfect diet we'd all be on it.

the 3rd.are the ones who give up after 48hrs & graclessly try & imply that it's my fault that they failed. I'm begining to be able to predict some of these. this is of course not necessarily a good thing. If after 30mins with someone I suspect they don't have the maturity or commitment needed to get up & running on their choses plan then at some level I risk cimmunicating it to them thereby further lowering their chances of success.

Q to Jan or other CDC's what or how do you deal with these situations?

'Ring me if you're struggling' I say it til I'm blue in the face. The potential succeeders do, the 'only managed 3 days' don't.

Q:Do other CDC's get phone calls at 7.30 am from excited voices saying 'I've gone pink Jane!'?

On a lighter & much sillier note I had a new client today. Only spoken on the phone briefly, but we gelled immediatly, found we had many points of contact: School, mutual friends, professional background, life events etc.
2 hrs later my last client of the day arrived (punctually! even though he'd got his wife to ring to say he had a long drive & might be late) & new woman & I hadn't even opened the cambridge booklets!!!:eek::p
so she's coming back on monday to try again. Bad CDC!!!! but WE both enjoyed the chat.

oh you por thing. I always turn up to my cdc's on time never before or ever late i always ensure enough time getting there for traffic pee stops etc! 2hr drive for me!! If i was you i would just say it to the 2in particular look would you mind its just that etc etc..it is often basic manners that people lack like your right a phone call/text/email isnt that hard.

Hope you get it sorted oh or better still maybe they post here and know who they are!!!! and wont be late again!!

becky x
You may not be surprised becky that none of my long distance ( = say 1/2 hr or more drive) clients ever let me down. Why? Simple. Like you they made a big mental commitment to the diet thier CDC & themselves from the outset. Consequently you are doing well on the diet & arrive on time.

Where do you live? must be pretty remote, or did you just chose a CDC 2 counties away for fun?

i have to admit that there has been quite few time when i haven't been able to make appointments with my CDC due to changing jobs/childcare but I have ALWAYS emailed/txt/called to let her know in advance! Also she has had to reschedule with me a few times and again commnication has been fab!
Maybe u should just have a quick word with them, maybe they dont even realise its a prob, let them know that even if they r gonna cancel/be late u'd MUCH rather kno than be left sitting like a numpty!!

I take it as read that life is going to get in the way & re-booking is necessary. I really don't mind. even if I have only 1/2 hrs notice I can still do something useful in the time. But most importantly I know that client is a) still on track 2)not upside down in a ditch.

What has just struck me as 'odd' is that there are soooooo many posts of peeps moaning about their CDCs but you can count on the FINGERS OF ONE HAND the other way round - do you guys have a special hidden thread where you get to rant?
Sadly no!. you think we could have a sort of rogues gallery where we swap tales of 'the worst client I ever had'
I think that all CDCs are such a special bunch us 'clients' really shouldn't take the mick!
That's v kind of you Helen, but tbh the forum isn't really the right place for us to do more than an occ thread like this.
on the otherhand I do believe it to be a place for people to air their concerns about their CDC. Because we all work separatley how else can you get a feel for what you should/could expect. The website gives some idea but possibly not enough.

Also I believe there to be massive differences in the quality of care offered. Some of the things I've read by & about good CDC's on here are inspiring & I go away & think should/could I try & do that too.

On the other hand some of the posts about poor practise are simply depressing. Letting the side down is the most polite phrase I can think of.

Dear Lesly I nearly spat some of my tea out laughing when I read this.

Ho hum! Nowt so queer as folk eh?

I agree that it takes litttle for a call or email. These people are rude and seem to think their time is more important than yours, which is not the case. I have this problem with the family also in that it takes 20 minutes to get them out of the house after saying its time to go and have started to drumming into them that when they are late they are suggesting their time is more important than who ever they are seeing (thankfully it works most of the time now). I also drum in that good manners cost nothing but pay plenty, a lessons some of your clients obviously need to learn. I hope you find a way round it, and take my hat off to the CDCs who deal with this on a day to day basis as it must be frustrating.

Sending apologies to my own CDC (MissPiggy) as I had put appointment in diary for next week instead of this week and she was so understanding when I texted her after she sent me an email. Thanks Kelly.

Put the notice on the wall directly in front of your scales and tell your clients when you weigh them to look forwards ;)

Ha, good idea! Actually I just thought, as well as the info sheet I give them, I recently had new business cards done with my new address and on the back is a place to write their next appointment, time & date etc and at the bottom I've had printed...please let me know if you're running late or can't make the appointment. I think with some people they're so thick skinned or up their own a**ses that it just goes right over their heads. But a big sign is harder to ignore!

MadamDotty.....it worked....thank you very much....Big Hugs! xxx

You're welcome :D

I think some people are just so ignorant, they think that they are the only ones that count and that the whole world can wait for them, and in the main they seem to get away with it because we tend not to be confrontational beings.

Spot on, agree totally with you there.

I used to have a 45 minute drive to my CDC and always arrived too early for fear of being late, so I would sit in my car around the corner (so she didn't see me waiting) until our appt time. Evenso, quite often the client before me had only just got there and was eating into my appt time, grrrr!

That's another reason why I get so cross, it's not just me that's kept waiting it's my next clients who arrive promptly - it's not fair on them at all.

well done Jan.
a thread like this needed to be started.

Thank you Jane

It'd be nice to think that some of the culprits will be shamed into better manners by reading it, but I doubt v much that the DNA'ers ( NHS shorthand for Did Not Attend) are going to be visiting mini's.

neverthe less it doesn't do any harm to have a gripe.

I like that - DNA'ers, I just write on their MRF's NO SHOW and if they do come again they may just well see it written down.

I too have clients like this.

the worst & most inexcuseable are the ones who phone & in my husbands words 'Need an emergency cambridge' I put my self out to accomodate them & then NOTHING!.
Had a run of these in early Jan: next year I'll know that some of the post chrismas referrals are doing it as a reflex response to their indulgence & not as a considered mature decision.

Yep, that's exactly what happened last time with my no show lady!

the 3rd.are the ones who give up after 48hrs & graclessly try & imply that it's my fault that they failed. I'm begining to be able to predict some of these. this is of course not necessarily a good thing. If after 30mins with someone I suspect they don't have the maturity or commitment needed to get up & running on their choses plan then at some level I risk cimmunicating it to them thereby further lowering their chances of success.

Q to Jan or other CDC's what or how do you deal with these situations?

I'm glad to say I've not had this problem Jane, that's rather harsh implying it's your fault they've failed - you just have to re-iterate that the diet doesn't suit everyone and maybe suggest a higher plan or they go boil their heads! If only....:p

Q:Do other CDC's get phone calls at 7.30 am from excited voices saying 'I've gone pink Jane!'?

LOL - nope!

On a lighter & much sillier note I had a new client today. Only spoken on the phone briefly, but we gelled immediatly, found we had many points of contact: School, mutual friends, professional background, life events etc.
2 hrs later my last client of the day arrived (punctually! even though he'd got his wife to ring to say he had a long drive & might be late) & new woman & I hadn't even opened the cambridge booklets!!!:eek::p
so she's coming back on monday to try again. Bad CDC!!!! but WE both enjoyed the chat.

Sounds like a lovely client.

Also I believe there to be massive differences in the quality of care offered. Some of the things I've read by & about good CDC's on here are inspiring & I go away & think should/could I try & do that too.

On the other hand some of the posts about poor practise are simply depressing. Letting the side down is the most polite phrase I can think of.

Couldn't agree more, it's great talking to other CDC's and getting ideas (the recent fridge magnet/stars one is a perfect example). when I read about CDCs just in it to make money and don't give a damn about their clients, it makes me so cross.

I agree that it takes litttle for a call or email. These people are rude and seem to think their time is more important than yours, which is not the case. I have this problem with the family also in that it takes 20 minutes to get them out of the house after saying its time to go and have started to drumming into them that when they are late they are suggesting their time is more important than who ever they are seeing (thankfully it works most of the time now). I also drum in that good manners cost nothing but pay plenty, a lessons some of your clients obviously need to learn. I hope you find a way round it, and take my hat off to the CDCs who deal with this on a day to day basis as it must be frustrating.

You're so right Kelly, it is just basic manners, which some people don't and never will have mainly I guess cos they didn't have it drummed into them as children as you are doing.

Reading all these posts has been a real help, got it off my chest too but I think from now on I will have a sign in my office, also highlight the sentence on the info sheet and mention it when clients leave after their first appointment - I always repeat to ring me if they have any problems I'll add that please let me know if you can't make appointment or don't want to continue with the diet too.

I think I do need to be a bit tougher with the persistant PITAs (pain in the ar**s!!) :p and feel more confident in doing so.

thanks one and all for taking the time to reply.

xx

But a big sign is harder to ignore!

Like3' high!?

When I've got a whole session of clients booked back to back (1/2 old, 1 or 1 1/2 new depending how 'complicated' etc they sound. If someone is really quite late,even if embarrassed & apologetic ( & tbh they ususally are. It's the DNAers I hate) I just cut the IV short making them aware of next one waiting. Then offer to ring them later. the client still has the opportunity to discuss issues, but also has had a polite but firm message to encourage punctuality.

My new consulting room (sounds posh eh?) is actually the gallery landing above the hall. So next client can be seen through the bannisters below....I'm hoping this will help with time keeping....mine as well as theirs.
Or I offer them a longer appt next week to catch up wi the nattering. (sorry that should read professional consultation)

I like that - DNA'ers, I just write on their MRF's NO SHOW and if they do come again they may just well see it written down.

Ha! spot on. I'll be using this from now on. NO SHOW in caps on the form next to date. Thanks JAN.

I'm glad to say I've not had this problem Jane, that's rather harsh implying it's your fault they've failed - you just have to re-iterate that the diet doesn't suit everyone and maybe suggest a higher plan or they go boil their heads! If only....:p

It hasn't happened often, but generally its someone that you've spent extra long with, making sure they understand what to do, certain they've chosen the best plan & said 10x if in doubt give me a ring.
Last time I got her form out wrote 'SILLY PERSON' across it in big letters & put it in my 'dead clients' file.

LOL - nope!
Ah must be me then..telling them to ring if they get excited!

Couldn't agree more, it's great talking to other CDC's and getting ideas (the recent fridge magnet/stars one is a perfect example). when I read about CDCs just in it to make money and don't give a damn about their clients, it makes me so cross.

I'd hope that forums like this & the CD one might help poor CDC's improve their service & client become more discriminating. A quiet word in peoples ears can have knock on effects (if you don't mind the mixed metaphors here)

I think I do need to be a bit tougher with the persistant PITAs (pain in the ar**s!!) :p and feel more confident in doing so.

thanks one and all for taking the time to reply.

xx

Another good one PITA's. Though I can't think of anyone I'd put in that category. They are either perfect clients, non-attenders, or a few who are a bit chaotic but understandably so. With these the very fact that they get here at all against hwat life chucks at them mean I never get annoyed. Does that make sense?

I've read this thread with interest, don't have any good ploys to stop clients being late or just not turning up without word.

But am relieved it isn't just me this happens to. I have a few people who do this but have to say on the whole my clients are a great bunch:)

Tracey
x

When I've got a whole session of clients booked back to back (1/2 old, 1 or 1 1/2 new depending how 'complicated' etc they sound. If someone is really quite late,even if embarrassed & apologetic ( & tbh they ususally are. It's the DNAers I hate) I just cut the IV short making them aware of next one waiting. Then offer to ring them later. the client still has the opportunity to discuss issues, but also has had a polite but firm message to encourage punctuality.

My new consulting room (sounds posh eh?) is actually the gallery landing above the hall. So next client can be seen through the bannisters below....I'm hoping this will help with time keeping....mine as well as theirs.
Or I offer them a longer appt next week to catch up wi the nattering. (sorry that should read professional consultation)

all sounds good to me.

I'd hope that forums like this & the CD one might help poor CDC's improve their service & client become more discriminating. A quiet word in peoples ears can have knock on effects (if you don't mind the mixed metaphors here)

Absolutely, you never know who's reading what!!

Another good one PITA's. Though I can't think of anyone I'd put in that category. They are either perfect clients, non-attenders, or a few who are a bit chaotic but understandably so. With these the very fact that they get here at all against hwat life chucks at them mean I never get annoyed. Does that make sense?

Yes, perfect sense, and I only use the PITA term for the persistant late comers & non-attenders who don't let me know. I understand that people have chaotic lives and I've one or two who have missed appts without telling me which is frustrating but ok cos they usually get back to me and let me know what went wrong - it's when it becomes a regular habit that it starts to grate!

I've read this thread with interest, don't have any good ploys to stop clients being late or just not turning up without word.

But am relieved it isn't just me this happens to. I have a few people who do this but have to say on the whole my clients are a great bunch:)

Tracey
x

I know it is a fact of the job, when you're dealing with people you're bound to come across unreliable or worse ones, but couldn't agree with you more that on the whole I have a great bunch of clients too, and they are what makes the job so good. :)

Back