How can 7 days go differently?

I will succeed!!!
I went to WI last night feeling positive but had a 1/2lb gain.

Now.. before I start I am not *that* bothered by the 1/2lb because it's only 1/2lb.

But I am gutted because this week was no different to last week - and I lost 3lbs last week.

I don't do a food diary on here, but I do keep one at home now and I ran through it with my C. I don't fib on there - I don't see the point. I went over my syns one day by 2 syns, but the days before and after I didn't use all my syns.

Plus, I've done almost 5 hours of exercise again this week.

My meals were varied - still loving my new cook book, and I ate LOADS of SS and S foods and I've picked up what I was eating since Christmas (as in eating more and more frequently and my losses showed this).

How can two similar weeks SW wise be so different on the scales? My C is baffled and said it may be down to my new exercise regime (this is week 5 of more intensity and more time per week). But I'm not sure as not doing any weights or anything - I'm doing mostly CV to burn calories. I know repeating moves will tone me, but I am not sure muscle mass really affects the scales this much in only 5 weeks (if at all)????

Gah.

I'm not going to let it bother me too much, because I know these things happen, but I am worried that it can happen when you're on it 100%. I learnt from earlier slow losses I wasn't eating enough food anymore and since changing that the losses have been great etc...

...but this week? I honestly don't know :(

Sorry for the long post - just needed to see if anyone could shed light? xxx

hi there

I only lost half a pound last week, did exactly the same this week and lost 4pounds!

If you look over the 2 weeks you have lost 2 1/2lb An average of just over a pound a week. Maybe as you are getting close to your target your losses may slow down. Is it time of the month or anything like that.

Sorry if this doesn't help much but these are my initial thoughts.

Sorry I can't shed any light but I can sympathise. I hadn't lost anything for 3 weeks, so my consultant checked my diaries and could find nothing wrong. Last night at weigh in I finally lost 1/2lb, big whoop de do!! :(

My consultant has suggested I mix up my days, I was doing all EE, to see if it makes a difference. I'm trying not to get depressed especially because I still have 1lb to lose from my 3lb Christmas gain. :cry:

I have been making lots of different soups and like you trying new recipes. It doesn't seem fair especially when people in my class have lost weight and have been out for meals or had takeaways, grrr!!

Personally I think our bodies every so often go into a panic mode and stop us from losing weight no matter what we do - mine has done all the way through SW & as I got closer to target each week became a game of Russian Roulette as to whether I would lose, gain or maintain, I could never find the reason for it & I have done food diaries all the way through, I decided when I was closer to target and this was happening to take a week off & give myself a break - when I went back to get weighed after that I had managed to lose 3.5 pounds, to this day I still don't know how I did it, I think it is just something we have to get used to, hormonal fluctuations can also have an effect on us all too. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep a food diary & keep going, in the end you will get there but somedays it just feels like one long, hard slog.

Hey -

Thanks for the replies. You're right - since Christmas I've lost 5.5lbs which puts me back on track plus some - so I am still lightest I've been in ages. Which is why I am pretty much *ok* about it. It's just frustrating that I put so much effort in and got a slap in face at WI. I wanted 2lbs off to get to 2 stone and though I wasn't sure I'd get 2lbs off (I've never had massive losses, but smaller, steady losses) and given I lost 3lbs the week before I wasn't holding breath...but I thought I'd get a loss as I'd been so good.

My C said I may get 'goodness' catch up next week if it is down to exercise but we'll see.

It's just made me nervous if that makes sense? I am 9lbs from what I think will be my T and lost nearly 2 stone so it's the final push now.

Thanks x

It is almost * week - should be here by end of week, but in all honesty it's never (seemingly) affected my losses so I never take it into account with SW.

My thoughts....

Bodies are weird! They are unpredictable, erratic and fluctuate wildly. This losing weight malarkey isn't a simple process. You'd think that it would be as simple as cals in vs cals used...but it's not.

I see it as the body saying to me "well, you caught me by surprise last week with all that lower calorie food and exercise...but you're not going to trick me this week, oh no! I'm going to cling on to my fat reserves! Ha!"

Some say a weekly WI is too often to actually gauge what is happening as you're losing, and that really, a monthly WI would be a better indicator of your downwards trend. It would allow those little weekly glitches to sort out, and for your good days to catch up properly!

From experience, I can safely say it's tougher down here at the lower end and nearer target weight! I have about 8 or 9 to get to 9½, which is where I'd really like to be. I can see that taking about 6 months at the rate I'm currently going (or rather, not going!).
Keep up your exercise. It will make such difference to your figure inch-wise, not to mention the fitness and good stuff it's doing for you.

Glad you're not too worried about the ½...but I'm sure you'll get to your 2stone soon!

x

I have had this so so many weeks. It is hard. I have had diaries checked and re-checked. I think it is down to depo but who knows. My body, at last, seems to be back to normal so now time will tell. Keep going, it will come. I know carbs can make a difference to me. We are all different. Don't be nervous. It will work.

Lynda

You're right Hellie - bodies are weird! And unpredictable! I made a joke on FB last night that my body is as inconsistent as my mind, which weirdly amounts to a form of consistency lol!

It'll all be ok - I am looking thinner since Christmas and feel fab. Tummy is tonight now and so...that 0.5lb can sling it's hook. I'm going to win in the end! xxx

I see it as the body saying to me "well, you caught me by surprise last week with all that lower calorie food and exercise...but you're not going to trick me this week, oh no! I'm going to cling on to my fat reserves! Ha!"

because bodies are evil! lol

I think Louisehj is right in saying you have to look at the trend and see that your average loss is still excellent! I was really disheartened on Monday night losing 1/2 lb because I'd been so angelic and soo pleased with myself, but I now realise that I'm still losing 1 1/2 per week since starting and that's 1/2 stone a month so why am I beating myself up?!?! I did WW a few years ago and was really into cycling at the time! I remember on weeks that I did loads of cycling I ALWAYS gained or STS, and when I did less exercise I lost- it was infuriating and I think it was part of the reason I gave up! But I not only gave up the classes but also the cycling and needless to say, my clothes quickly became very very small for me! LOL! I look back now and realise how ridiculous I was! We get so hung up on those little numbers on the scales and not our measurements! I know we can do it ourselves at home, but I think SW should have someone on a measurements station before or after you weigh and keep a log of that too because it would take the emphasis of our obsession with weight loss! Do you feel that your shape is changing since doing much more exercise? XXX

I must of read a hundred of times to not look at the scales and go by what your clothes feel like or measure waste etc measurements etc instead...
Not that I ever listen but there must be validity in it!! Also I think muscle does weigh alot more because you get top athletes that are technically obese but are super fit and it's just all the muscle..
Bizarre!

I agree with Hellie, I've heard before that our bodies go through a 4 week cycle and this gives a 'truer' reading for our weight loss cycles! I'm also all for measurements - I've lost 14.5 inches all over since starting SW in October and 15 pounds - I average a pound a week, 4/4.5 pounds a month, sometimes made up of weekly 0.5s and then a left-field 1.5/2 !! xxx

Do you feel that your shape is changing since doing much more exercise? XXX

Oh yes!

I've lost 25.5lbs in total with SW and my body shape has changed massively.

I measured myself again last week (did them at the very start) and though I cannot remember exactly, but it's in the areas of:

4inches off each thigh (for real my thighs have seen the biggest change) and 4inches off hips and a couple off waist. No change to chest!

So, it's almost that my weight loss V inch lost is skewed - I look different so yes, forget the gain this week. I feel and look better.

Hopefully next week will be better though - I wanna get udner 10 stone! x

I no how you feel totally, ive been on plan really well and chuffed with myself to only lose 2lbs in 5 weeks, very frustrating, just hope i catch up, good luck and keep going xx

I'm on my third WI tonight and I've only lost 3lbs so far (put 0.5lb on last week!). It was * week so hopefully I can go to WI tonight and have lost! I know how frustrating it is to see the numbers on the scale stay the same (I'm 1.5lbs away from dropping under 11st - I feel your pain!) but if your clothes feel better and you've lost inches then that's just as good!

Thanks everyone. Feel better today - I know SW works and I know they'll be a reason for it, be it a weird body thing, something I did wrong (though still not sure what) etc etc. Either way, it will work itself out. Going to try less exercise this week - sounds silly I know but going to have a 'break' as this would be week 6 of quite a lot of working out. Plus, I feel 'meh' this week (star week looming and fighting off a cold etc).

Anyway, thanks and good luck to everyone else this week x

Back