how can i stop binge eating?

Had a horrible binge a few days ago. I ended up with the worst indigestion ever. I felt as though I deserved it as punishment for my binge. Its starting to fade off but has wrecked my weight loss and self esteem.

I've recently finished a basic mental health course, it was really uncomfortable reading the section on eating disorders. Especially when it mentioned compulsive eating disorder. It was like a checklist of everything I felt. Then I had to write about it. It was therapeutic as I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and it actually had a name. Where before I never said it was binge eating.

I've decided to seek help. My workplace has access to counselling and I've checked their website and says they can help with 'issues with food'. BUT it only mentions anorexia and bulimia. So not sure if they would take binge eating seriously.

I'm just popping by to wish you luck on your journey.

I too am a binge eater - I've had an unhealthy relationship with food since my early teens - purging, starving and my biggest nemesis - binge eating.

I've tried SW countless times in the past but after my Daughter something clicked and I did really well for a number of months with the weight steadily coming off.

As I get closer to target I feel the binge eating harder to control - maybe it is a form of self-sabotage.

I tend to find that my binges come in 'waves' - I'll be able to manage for a few weeks or sometimes even months and then I'll be unable to resist and will have periods of binging, some last days, some last weeks. Often I will eat in secret or hide wrappers of food in my car as I'm so ashamed of the quantities of food I will eat. I will literally eat until I am in pain and feel sick.

Trying to do something with my hands simply delays the binge for me, if the craving is there I have to satisfy it. Almost like an itch.

I honestly believe that binge eating is an addiction and should be treated as such - we are all addicts, we need to try to avoid 'trigger' foods that start the binges. For me that is bread and crisps. We probably will fall off the wagon at some point but we need to try to get back on as soon as possible.

I'm sorry I can't offer much more help than that but I offer you all my support.
X

I think been on minimins helps a lot. It's good to know you're not alone. There's people who are overweight who understand the struggles.

Bingeing isn't something I do all the time by but it does happen as said in 'waves'.

Once I return from my holiday I will try speaking to a counsellor, It may help it may not, but guess I won't know until I try.

I'm a binger too. If I'm angry or upset, one of my first thoughts is "What can I eat?"

Physiologically I've found it very helpful not to allow myself to get too hungry (SW is excellent for stopping this) or to overdo sugary food especially on an empty stomach or it'll start a blood sugar rollercoaster for the day.

I'm also a massive binge eater but I have found SW helps me to keep the urges under control. I make sure that I always have a 1/2 syn roulade in the fridge along with my homemade jelly sweets. I find that knowing that I can go to the fridge and eat all those 'naughty foods' helps. X

Capri gal can you post up or link a recipe for the homemade jelly sweets. Sounds fab.:D It may help have lots of lower syn sweet things in when a binge strikes.

Ultimately I'm hoping counselling will get to the roots of why I binge in the first place. I really want to treat the cause as I feel binging is a symptom of something deeper.

2 sachets of sugar free jelly and 2 gelatine leaves to make it firmer - pour into ice cube moulds and set in the fridge. 3 syns for the lot!

Back