How did you choose your target weight?

mags1x

mags
Thinking of renegotiating mine, but its only because I'm trying to get out of losing much more rofl.

Ok, at a measly 5 ft tall, I'm not allowed to carry much weight and stay healthy, I started out about 13 st with a shocking bmi.... and now I'm about 9 and a half stone, still above 25 on the bmi.

I chose my target 8 st 7, its approx 8 or 9 pounds into the healthy range, but lighter than I have ever been my adult life. My plan is to get to 8st 7, and the try and stay below 9 stone which will still officially be within the healthy range.

However recently I have really been struggling and I'd like to bring the goalpost closer, but maybe thats the wrong thing to do. Years ago when I was going to scottish slimmers they set me a target of 8 st 12, maybe I should aim for that.... its closer lol. However that would only give me about 3 pounds of a cushion to stay under bmi 25, and although I know a pound or 2 over a healthy bmi wouldn't really matter, my brain is telling me I need to be 'OFFICIALLY' healthy forever rofl.

The daft thing is I think I need to stick to 8 st 7 because I still feel a bit chubby...... stupid I know size 12 is now comfy.....

Maybe I should compromise and head for 8 st 9? that would still be 6 or 7 within the healthy range.....

All opinions or wonderings about your own target welcome.

Oh and if anybody thinks I may be the sort of person who could lose more in management.....I don't want to rely on it!

Mags
xxx

Hi

I set mine at 138 just so it would get me under 10 stone though to be honest I'll have to change that at some point as I need to be in the 8stones to have a healthy bmi as I'm only 5'1". Not gonna change it just yet though - think I'm going to leave it till I've done over half way on the loss I've got to do so far!

Cath

I think that is wise Cath, to take in in chunks.

Good luck!

Mags
xxx

Well I've set my goal as dead on a healthy bmi, at the top 25. I've decided to move into management as soon as I hit that goal. Then I hope to lose a few more pound in management to give me a buffer zone - otherwise if I remained at dead on bmi 25 I'd only have to put a pound on to be 'overweight' again and that would be a little bit mind blowing for me :eek:

So ideally I'd like to end up with a BMI of below 25 but not too far under as already people are saying I don't need to lose anymore and are quite horrified when I say I've got another 2 stone to go! Although they don't see me naked :D fortunately :D

Chose mine because it was the heaviest i could be and be under the 25bmi. Also the last time i weighed under that was after a diet i had been on when i was 16. I got to 11st 2lbs and was in size 10/12. Im 5ft9. Ive since grown boobs, had children and im not sure if its feasible to expect to weigh that again. I dont want to stress out trying to acheive a weight that just isnt possible for my body anymore. So my plan is get to 12st then reassess. Ill be estatic to be a size 14.

Its not everyone that loses weight in management Kath, its not what its designed for. I'm not sure what percentage lose more weight but its not a high figure, so I wouldn't rely on it either if I were you.

I know what you mean, at bmi 25 to put on 1 pound you are overweight thats why I want to have at least a half stone in.

Happe you are right to try and achieve something realistic, theres no point fighting to get somewhere that is totally wrong for you!

Good luck both of you!

mags
xxx

Its not everyone that loses weight in management Kath, its not what its designed for. I'm not sure what percentage lose more weight but its not a high figure, so I wouldn't rely on it either if I were you.

I know what you mean, at bmi 25 to put on 1 pound you are overweight thats why I want to have at least a half stone in.

Happe you are right to try and achieve something realistic, theres no point fighting to get somewhere that is totally wrong for you!

Good luck both of you!

mags
xxx

Ooh good point, maybe I'll get a few pound under my BMI first the...it's right isn't it, no point being smack on BMI really as I'm bound to gain a pound or two every now and then and I think I'd find that would really do my head in knowing I'd slipped overweight by such a small margin!

I know its stupid really!

We could be healthy today and then unhealthy tomorrow.

In a way though its crooked thinking, as to only be a pound or 2 over can't possibly make any difference!

Mags
xxx

I have set my goal at 11 stone, which is around the BMI 25 mark. I told my llc I was 5'4", but my practice nurse said I was nearer 5'5" (??), which amazed me....maybe I have grown, at the age of 43!! LOL!!

Depending on my real height I guess I will propb have to go lower, for some sort of buffer zone.but I just cant contemplate that right now. I have just slipped under the 100lb to lose mark, and a re-adjustment would take me back over. I cannot face that...

Also, been with OH for 21 years now and was only 12.5 stone when I first met him...cant imagine what 11 stone would even be like!!

12St 3Ibs is the healthy minimum for my height, so I've been aiming for something in that region.

12 st 7 lbs cos I am built like my sister and I like the way she looks at that weight. 5 ft 9, and probably a size 14 at that weight so works for me! :cool:

I know its stupid really!

We could be healthy today and then unhealthy tomorrow.

In a way though its crooked thinking, as to only be a pound or 2 over can't possibly make any difference!

Mags
xxx

Just remember that the BMI is only a guide originally started by insurance companies to assess people for life insurance. My son's doctor said this to me when I was losing weight and she thought I looked very slim. When I said I was not normal weight yet cos my BMI was still 27 she laughed.
If you weigh say 10stone to be a BMI of 25, how can you say you are overweight at 10st 3lb?

My target

Hi all,

I think we can get too caught up with BMI's- altho having said that I am aiming for 10 stone which would give me a BMI of 22-23ish. I have chosen this deliberately as I want to be on the slim side of normal rather than the chubby side! And I want to be a size 10!

Also, what I have found handy to use as a guide is my lovely mother! My mum is the same height as me and when she's more than 9 and a half stone she looks overweight- this may be because she has had us and carries ALL her extra weight on her boobs,bum and tum as a consequence, yet always has skinny arms and legs. Most of the time she hovers at 9 and 1/2 to 10 stone, so I am hoping that when I reach the 10 mark I shall carry it more evenly so instead of having overly skinny legs and arms, and a chubby midriff, I will be more of a 'slim all over but nothing is majorly skinny' person!

Sorry this is long, but thought people might be interested.... I guess what I'm trying to say is, although my BMI would be well into the normal range at 10 stone and I would probably carry it well, my mum would need to be lighter than me to look the same, despite identical heights!

The moral of this story is: a certain BMI doesn't guarantee you to have a certain shape or frame, and you should stop dieting when you reach a healthy weight, and when you (and those whose opinions you trust) notice that you look slim, fit and healthy.

Love N xxx

Back