How do u know if a food has a free value

Sometimes its just a case of learning what the value of the things you like are. Best way to do this is search online or get one of the books (the little ones can be carried with you when shopping).

if you look at the ingredients, they are listed in order of quantity. So if the first ingredient was chicken for example, then that is the main ingredient.

Usually if the first listed item is a free food, then it will qualify for a free food allowance. So you need to use the syns calculator to find out the syn value, selecting your free food first.

If however the first item listed in the ingredients was pastry for example or bread, then you can pretty much be sure it won't qualify for any free food, as neither of those are free foods.

All of the below have NO free food allowance, so if you want to know the syn value of any of these items, it will be 1 syn for every 20 calories:

Alcoholic drinks
Biscuits, including cereal bars and savoury crackers
Bread & crispbreads
Breakfast cereals
Cakes & bakery items, e.g. carrot cake
Crisps & snacks
Dressings & dips, e.g. salsa, salad dressing
Fruit - canned, dried and stewed
Pastry products (sweet & savoury), e.g. salmon en croute, apple pie
Pizza
Puddings & desserts
Sandwich/deli fillers
Sandwiches and wraps
Sauces, e.g. jars of tomato-based pasta sauce
Soft drinks, including yogurt drinks fruit/vegetable juice and fruit smoothies
Soups, all varieties
Sweets & chocolates

Many times people make the mistake thinking that a ready made sandwich with chicken in for example has a free food allowance, but unfortunately it doesn't, as the main ingredient is the bread. The same with pizza, it might have chicken on it (which is a free food), but the base is going to be the main ingredient listed so again won't qualify for any free food allowance. However not all the items listed above follow that rule, some do have the main ingredient as a free food, but don't qualify as having a free food allowance, because if they did, we could easily over consume. Like potato crisps for instance.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My guess is the OP is looking for more basic information about how you know if a food is free or synned rather than specifically free food allowances.

If so, members receive a pack and access to the SW website where there are full lists of free foods.

If you are looking for a general idea then check out the sticky for newbies to the plan in the main forum.

My guess is the OP is looking for more basic information about how you know if a food is free or synned rather than specifically free food allowances.

If so, members receive a pack and access to the SW website where there are full lists of free foods.

If you are looking for a general idea then check out the sticky for newbies to the plan in the main forum.

yes, reading back I misread the op's post lol (pregnancy brain) oh well.

to the op: unfortunately no one here would be able to give you a full list.

You would either need to find and join your nearest Slimming World group where you will receive a basic pack with all the information you need or join online.

There are various books available to buy on ebay or amazon, but be aware that some of the ebay stuff is not official and also that some of the books will be out of date now.

Thanks for your replys, I am asking about a free food allowance as I was looking through my directory and some foods o thought were free were used as healthy extra a and b's which confusede as I thought well surely you cam have them as free food so how do they have all the main components to be healthy extras and if that's the case why can't any of the free foods be healthy extras then I wrote the post about the express noodle bowl as I thought noodles were free so I'm still confused lol and why is purred banana synd but a whole banana thAt gets chewed up is just As purred and that's not synd?????

Can you give us some examples of the foods you are talking about? There are no healthy extras that are free foods. Dried noodles are a free food on green and EE but not a HE on any plan.

Unless you are are thinking about a food that may be free on one plan but need to be a HEB on another eg meat is free on red and EE but not on green. On green you can have a small amount for a HEB because it is a healthy food and will boost your protein intake.

Pureed and blended fruit is synned because it is it far easier to overeat in that form and so you could very easily take in a lot more calories. Also in its raw form it fills you up for longer.

By the way I think that's the longest sentence I've ever seen :D

And apologies to BritMum who got it right in the first place :)

Last edited:
Firstly, apologies for my punctuation short comings however, in my defence I was typing whilst walking down the highstreet.

Yes I was referring to the things that are free on one plan buy then are used as a healthy extra on another , I hadn't read my book properly.

Thanks for the replies

Regards
Abi

Back