How do you deal with temptations?

Mrs.S

Hi,

I've ordered the trial pack to see which of the flavous I like. This is my 3rd day and so far it is going good. Some of the packs are really nice, I especially liked the Chicken Curry Noodle Soup.
The problem is when I go food shopping for my husband and when my colleagues at work keep bringing cookies and sweets. So many temptations.
Therefore I'd like to ask how you deal with temptaions? How do you make sure you stay on track and don't give in?

Thanks,
Sonja

All I do is remind myself why I'm doing this and ignore all temptations. It's not easy of course, if it was the whole world would be skinny xx

Jewel is right its all about remembering why your doing the diet in the first place but I think once you get your first week under your belt it will get easier as week 1 is always hard, next week after you've had your first loss you'll look at cakes/biscuits and ask yourself if eating a cake is worth regaining the weight you've just loss and the answer will always be NO as no food could ever taste as good as the way losing weight will make you feel, then the more you loss the easier it gets because you have worked so hard to get the weight off you'll not want to put it back on x

Totally agree with Tracy, that's exactly how I feel when I see my favourite fatty foods. I'm starting week 7 now and can really see a difference so wouldnt want to ruin how well I've done xx

Hi Sonja, its mostly about mind over matter, it is hard, especially after a while on plan, but play with the packs, try different recipes and try not to think about it too much. Good luck x

I know not everyone is comfortable doing this but I told my colleagues at the beginning that this was really important to me and I was very determined but it was going to be hard. I told them I wouldn't be eating anything they offered me even if it seemed healthy and I asked them not to leave goodies by the kettle and the biscuit tin was resigned to a cupboard. They have been really good although there is a cheeseboard by the kettle today!!

At first my OH got his own food but I was a bit worried he might get scurvy if I didn't feed him so I've done shopping online and mainly stuck to food that can be popped in the oven and then get him to serve it out. If I'm feeling strong I cook up a meal in bulk and freeze away in portions for him.

The temptations do get easier with time because not eating becomes the habit. One of the good things about this is it makes you realise how many times you would have bought something or popped a chocolate or mince pie into your mouth without even thinking. So try to think about how much you're learning rather than how deprived you feel. Not easy I know but it's worth it. And it sometimes helps to remember you do have a choice if you're a bit rebellious like me - you can give in to temptation but you can't give in and be a healthy weight - up to you!!

Good luck with staying the course.

You are spot on Phoenyx, I used to get very angry when people would eat takeaways and cream buns around me and it got to the stage it made my family very uncomfortable eating around me because id always end up in a sulk but now when it happens I remind myself that my mouth isn't stapled closed so I can have it if I really want it, it's me who's making the choice not to have it :D x

Last edited:
I totally agree. My first few days I felt resentment towards anyone that ate food by me but then I realised that this would happen all the time and I'd better get used to it. Sitting there watching everyone eat my favourite meal (my mums roast dinner) was absolute torture but the feeling of accomplishment when I got through it was better than the feeling of a roast potato (just!) ;)

I was the same last weekend, me and my partner both love Chinese takeaways but since I started the diet 8wks ago my o/h hasn't had one because he didn't want to tease me with it but I know he's really wanted one so I got my daughter to go out on Saturday night and get them all one.

At the time it smelt great and my mouth was watering but afterwards when i was clearing away all the plates it just smelt so greasy that i felt so good for resisting :).

And also when they were dishing up I couldn't believe the portion sizes they were eating, then I realised that was how much I usually ate so it has made me realise that portion sizes is something i really need to look at when I get to my goal weight as I definately feel it is one of my problems x

Portion sizes is also one of my problems. The funny thing about eating healthier is that I do not ever fancy big portions of it. So maybe I really was eating for the absolute sake of it. I bet you felt so happy cleaning them plates away. It is always hard especially when people eat around you but avoiding that does not help, facing it head on and dealing with it is the best way. Well done!! Also as you lose weight I'm sure the temptations get easier, as you see the results of your hard work. I've lost one and half stone so far and today I had to move my rings across one finger to a bigger one because they are falling off. Wahoooooo. X

Thank you for all your replies. Yes, I guess it's right... It is MY choice, the same as it was my choice to overeat all the time and get fat. Now I choose to change and get to a healthy weight again.
I've talked to my work colleagues and they are really supportive. They don't ask me anymore if they have any food to share and try not to put it in a place where I would see it all the time. I've talked to my husband and he said he would do the diet with me. We both need to lose weight, so we might as well do it together.
I'm through the meals that came with the trial pack and out of the 28 packs I got there were only 5 I didn't like. That's not bad...especially because I didn't think they would taste good at all.

Now I am looking forward to getting started properly next month.

Sonja

It's great you like most of the packs, I'm the other way round as there isn't many I really like so meals do get very repetitive :(.

Breakfast is always a hot Choc Shake.

Lunch is either a bar or a strawberry or banana shake. (And only banana cause Ive got loads to use up).

Dinner is either chilli, spicy spaghetti or porridge or on the very odd occasion cottage pie or cheesy pasta, and only cheesy pasta if it's a sauce over cauliflower never on it's own.

Before Bed is always a hot Choc shake.

Back