How do you do it??

TickleKate

Hi
Can I ask you amazing women how you manage to be pregnant and to have kept your weight so low?? Everyone I look at on this forum has done so well and I want to know your secret!

I really want to get pregnant with my second child but am a few stones heavier than i would like. I am a bridesmaid in a little over a years time so I either have to fall pretty quickly or wait until after my friends wedding next september. I really dont want to wait but also dont want to pile tonnes of weight on (almost 6 stone last time!!eek)

So my question is, how have you done it? I am a weightwatchers girl at heart, love the slimming world diet but didnt have any successful weight loss on it. Do you generally just healthy eat/count points/keep moving a lot?

Please give me your hints and tips :)
x

Personally I found that for the first 13-14 weeks my appetite vanished. I ate, but just because I knew I had to. I stuck to the healthy eating diet I already had, tried to increase my calcium, fruit and veg. I've not really followed any specific diet as such, just gone for relatively healthy eating and not over eaten (as I just can't anyway). Plenty of water too.

I've enjoyed plenty of desserts and icecreams (more than I should have!), but I have kept it within reason and gone for low fat icecream when possible :) I'm not sure how things will go weightwise as I'm on 4lb gain at 22 weeks, but if I can get my backside in gear and actually get out walking everyday then I can hopefully keep any extra gain to a minimum.

Hi, from between 8 and 12 weeks I had to eat every 2 hrs or I would get terribly nauseous and it had to be 'naughty' stuff, when the nausea passed at 12 weeks I decided that I was going to try and curb my weight gain, I managed to lose 13lbs over about 6 weeks just through healthy eating, trying not to fall into the 'I am pregnant so going to get fat anyway so whats the point?' trap, I have regained the 13 lbs in the last 9 weeks but if I hadn't lost it I would be even heavier, I am trying to be sensible but have days when I do have too many treats, but its all about balance really ;)
Good luck with whatever you decide.

thanks for your replies ladies, you have both done amazingly well. By about halfwayt through i think i had gained 2 stones last time.

I like you bajoleth, last time had to eat every 2 hours or i got sick, but i like the fact that once that passed you got back on track, where as i just let it spiral. Did anyone give you a hard time when losing those 13 pounds whilst pregnant? Personally i think its much healthier for mother an baby to be lighter but just wondered if you had any negativity around the subject?

I think, like you say sarah its just down to eating sensibly and healthily, still having some treats but not going crazy.

I know the theory, i just hope i can put it into practice!

thanks again
x

The MW was happy for me to follow a sensible healthy eating plan as my BMI was about 35 by the time I booked in, so she is of the thought that if you can lessen weight gain through avoiding sugary high fat foods then thats great any weight loss (being already classed as obese) is a bonus, so she was more than happy, I didn't tell anyone apart from OH and Mum that I was pregnant until I was 15 weeks and nobody had guessed, It is only this week that I have bought any Maternity clothes as I have been still fitting into my pre preg jeans and trousers and bought some loose sun dresses.
Nobody gave me any negative comments about trying to keep my weight down whilst pregnant, though I think if I was of 'normal' weight then people wouldn't be so keen to encourage me to keep weight gain to a minimum and would probably have been rightly cross if I had lost.

well I wouldn't say I have done amazingly well (I'm not fishing!lol), not as good as jo and sarah but I'm almost 36 weeks and have gained about 21-22 lbs. I lost a few at the beginning and had really bad sickness which I hated but it helped keep the weight down for longer.
With my first pregnancy I gained around 4 stone and I new that I couldn't eat for two this time around , and have gained about 1stone 8lbs with four weeks left.
I haven't cut out as much but just cut down,Luckily I have no more room in my tummy for bigger meals! lol

Good luck I'm sure you can do it! x

I've been told that staying at the same weight (give or take a few pounds) is good (from both the obstetrician and MW) as I'm a high risk (BMI 36 on booking in, high risk in this area is 35+). However whenever I've mentioned anything to friends all I get is 'expect to put weight on, you're pregnant', which when I'm saying I want to keep my gain down isn't very motivating..! Then again I've had comments on other subjects too so I don't listen to many people besides DH and my parents! (and of course the lovely ladies on here who understand far more!) ;)

thanks for your input ladies. I suspect some people who are pretty narrow minded view low weight gains in pregnancy as a big no no. Personally i think you`re all absolutely spot on in your approach, i only hope i can do something similar.
mummy tummy, a 21 pound gain at 36 weeks is bleedin tremendous i reckon! :) I think by that point id put on about 4 stones with my son and still managed to go and put another 2 stone on in the final 6 weeks (he was 11 days late).

You have inspired me, ive shown my hubby this thread and he says, there you go, it can be done. So im on a mission!
thanks again and good luck with your deliveries
xx

Hey i just kept my mind to it and that fact that im getting married in april and have already purchased my dress (which i needed to loose a few pounds for it to fit properly anyway) is enough to keep me motivated and not stuffing my face :). Good luck xx

aw this is so motivating to read. I am dead scared of blooming but I am sticking with it and following SW guidelines. So far so good. I have no sickness and I am constantly thinking about food but battling through and thinking about the little one as well now :)

I would say if you're feeling quite hungry and can stomach it, aim for complex carbs such as pasta, rice, wholegrain bread etc. and plenty of fruit, veg and salad. Plus make sure you're getting at least 1.5l of water a day as it could be the higher dehydration you'll feel (or start to feel at some point) with the higher amount of blood running through your system and the kidney will use more fluids to deal with the higher amount of blood. (Sorry if you already realise this, just a couple of suggestions that I've tried to follow myself, so far it seems to be working!) :)

Back