Extra Easy Days How do you get 1/3 in when having meals like curry or chilli?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Josiecat, 5 January 2011 Social URL.

1. Josiecat

Josiecat Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6.5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Hi guys, wondering how people get 1/3 superfoods in when having meals like spag bol, chilli or curry.
    I have been trying to add some to the recipes e.g. onions, mixed peppers etc. but know that it is not equal to 1/3.
    The sort of things you eat them with is rice or pasta so not part of 1/3.
    Just wondered if anyone else can help with some advice? I'm worried I might be jeopardising my weight loss :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jellibabe

jellibabe Full Member

Diet:
    S&S
    If I have a meal where I can't get my super frees in I have superfree fruit for my pudding :)

4. Juddd_Judy

Juddd_Judy Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st13.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st1.5lb(11.68%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    I know it doesn't go with everything but just a side of grated carrots, cabbage, or some sweetcorn, peas or fry light onions or something is always nice. Just try and get some fruit and veg in but if you can't I think a superfree pud is a brilliant idea!

5. Lovehatecarbs

Lovehatecarbs Silver Member

You could do the same recipe with Quorn mince - but then I've been veggie so long I don't know whether that tastes as good!!

6. Lovehatecarbs

Could you use quorn mince? I'm new to SW and veggie (ish) anyway.

7. Lovehatecarbs

Oops sorry I didn't think post had worked!!

8. hennyhamster

hennyhamster Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st3.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st3.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    If you make your own sauces, there is often more superfree then you realise, don't forget the tomato in the sauce is superfree too.

9. jellibabe

jellibabe Full Member

Diet:
    S&S
    I only found this out today so I thought I would just let you know as well... Sweetcorn and corn on the cob isn't a superfree :( just a free food :( and I have a feeling peas aren't either but I could be wrong

10. jooloo

jooloo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(27.42%)
    Diet:
    Weight watchers
    I really like salad with a chilli or a curry. I'd usually have curry/chilli with salad. Like someone else has said I make my own sauces which is usually at least 1 tin on tomatoes. I put in alot of onions and peppers as well.
    If you try a chicken chilli (a good way of using up brown meat after doing a roast) sweetcorn works well in it.

11. soccermom

soccermom I AM A WEMITT x

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    18st1.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.5lb(5.76%)
    Diet:
    SW
    when I make spag bol I add some chopped carrot, onion and courgette along with sliced mush and peppers thats to go with the pasatta I use as the base. All superfree.

When I have curry I use loads of onions and blend half down to thicken the sauce or make a veg curry as the side dish onion bhajis are also a good option.

Hope that helps :D

12. mod-karen79

mod-karen79 rainbows holiday buddy :)

i believe sweetcorn, peas, parsnips and beans (except for green beans) are only free, not superfree

13. jellibabe

jellibabe Full Member

Diet:
    S&S
    Thank you :) All my favourite veg tho :(

14. ChicaConCurvas

ChicaConCurvas Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think the curries can easily work out to be a third - tomato base, loads of onions, mushrooms, peppers etc. You can also bulk them out with uggins of spinich and they taste great with that too.
    I also put carrots & onions in SW chilli and then serve it on a bed of lightly cooked cauli rice - yummy!!

15. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I always manage to get a 1/3 superfree into my curries, chillies etc. I use less meat and bulk it out with, carrots, onions, courgette, peppers and of course passata counts as superfree too.

16. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Using quorn mince wouldn't be adding superfree though it is superspeed and very nice!

I just add different veggies, mushrooms, onions, peppers, green beans, carrots etc and then serve with more!

17. chocolate_bananas

chocolate_bananas Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.69%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Ditto! These sorts of meals are actually the easiest to squeeze you 1/3 superfree in i think.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. RegField

RegField Silver Member

Have your superfree as a starter. Either a salad or a plate of steamed vegetables. Well that's what I do.

20. alexisemma31

alexisemma31 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    I've had chilli and rice for my tea and filled my plate with 1/3rd salad. I also bulked out my chilli with onion, peppers, mushrooms, courgette, carrots, celery and made with passata/chopped toms.

21. *Pogle*

*Pogle* Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(15.31%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm not really that sure why it would be a problem at all? Like a lot of people have already said, when I make bolognaise/chillis/curries/whatever - I normally end up with at least 50% superfree, often more like 75%, without even trying (I mostly do green, so don't have to stick to the 1/3rd rule, like EE'rs do)!

Unless you're talking about using jars of sauce, and literally not adding any veg to it, I can't see how you wouldn't fit it in easily!

If you really can't get it into the meal though, have fruit/salad before your meal. Having it afterwards defeats the point - you need 1/3rd superfree, to stop you overdoing it with the carbs and proteins, as others have said.

22. SlimmingKitchen

SlimmingKitchen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13.5lb(9.82%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Chilli is quite easy, I make mine with extra lean minced beef then all superfree foods such as onions, chillies, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, passata.

As for curry I tend to use tomatoes, onions, garlic, chillies and then have a side salad with it too. It cools my mouth down after a hot one lol xxx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.