Extra Easy Days How do you get 1/3 in when having meals like curry or chilli?

Josiecat

Silver Member
Hi guys, wondering how people get 1/3 superfoods in when having meals like spag bol, chilli or curry.
I have been trying to add some to the recipes e.g. onions, mixed peppers etc. but know that it is not equal to 1/3.
The sort of things you eat them with is rice or pasta so not part of 1/3.
Just wondered if anyone else can help with some advice? I'm worried I might be jeopardising my weight loss :rolleyes:

I know it doesn't go with everything but just a side of grated carrots, cabbage, or some sweetcorn, peas or fry light onions or something is always nice. Just try and get some fruit and veg in but if you can't I think a superfree pud is a brilliant idea!

If you make your own sauces, there is often more superfree then you realise, don't forget the tomato in the sauce is superfree too.

Goricki said:
I know it doesn't go with everything but just a side of grated carrots, cabbage, or some sweetcorn, peas or fry light onions or something is always nice. Just try and get some fruit and veg in but if you can't I think a superfree pud is a brilliant idea!

I only found this out today so I thought I would just let you know as well... Sweetcorn and corn on the cob isn't a superfree :( just a free food :( and I have a feeling peas aren't either but I could be wrong

I really like salad with a chilli or a curry. I'd usually have curry/chilli with salad. Like someone else has said I make my own sauces which is usually at least 1 tin on tomatoes. I put in alot of onions and peppers as well.
If you try a chicken chilli (a good way of using up brown meat after doing a roast) sweetcorn works well in it.

when I make spag bol I add some chopped carrot, onion and courgette along with sliced mush and peppers thats to go with the pasatta I use as the base. All superfree.

When I have curry I use loads of onions and blend half down to thicken the sauce or make a veg curry as the side dish onion bhajis are also a good option.

Hope that helps :D

I only found this out today so I thought I would just let you know as well... Sweetcorn and corn on the cob isn't a superfree :( just a free food :( and I have a feeling peas aren't either but I could be wrong

i believe sweetcorn, peas, parsnips and beans (except for green beans) are only free, not superfree

I think the curries can easily work out to be a third - tomato base, loads of onions, mushrooms, peppers etc. You can also bulk them out with uggins of spinich and they taste great with that too.
I also put carrots & onions in SW chilli and then serve it on a bed of lightly cooked cauli rice - yummy!!

I always manage to get a 1/3 superfree into my curries, chillies etc. I use less meat and bulk it out with, carrots, onions, courgette, peppers and of course passata counts as superfree too.

I always manage to get a 1/3 superfree into my curries, chillies etc. I use less meat and bulk it out with, carrots, onions, courgette, peppers and of course passata counts as superfree too.

Ditto! These sorts of meals are actually the easiest to squeeze you 1/3 superfree in i think.

I've had chilli and rice for my tea and filled my plate with 1/3rd salad. I also bulked out my chilli with onion, peppers, mushrooms, courgette, carrots, celery and made with passata/chopped toms.

I'm not really that sure why it would be a problem at all? Like a lot of people have already said, when I make bolognaise/chillis/curries/whatever - I normally end up with at least 50% superfree, often more like 75%, without even trying (I mostly do green, so don't have to stick to the 1/3rd rule, like EE'rs do)!

Unless you're talking about using jars of sauce, and literally not adding any veg to it, I can't see how you wouldn't fit it in easily!

If you really can't get it into the meal though, have fruit/salad before your meal. Having it afterwards defeats the point - you need 1/3rd superfree, to stop you overdoing it with the carbs and proteins, as others have said.

Chilli is quite easy, I make mine with extra lean minced beef then all superfree foods such as onions, chillies, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, passata.

As for curry I tend to use tomatoes, onions, garlic, chillies and then have a side salad with it too. It cools my mouth down after a hot one lol xxx

Back