How do you handle stress without food?

Sylver

I ask because I'm going through a stressful time at the moment and really wanting to rush to stuff my face with chocolate or something that might make me feel better.
:cry:

Am trying to resist the urge but finding it very hard to distract myself from it as I'm so upset I need something though I know I shouldn't use food to soothe myself, it's what I've always done.

I totally sympathise - I have just come off anti-depressants after a year of turmoil in my life - I have piled on the pounds, and have only just felt ready to start tackling my weight again. I have been lucky enough to receive some excellent therapy this year that has helped me through the worst, but it's still been very tough.

It's very hard to diet when you're not happy - but you could try saving your syns and enjoy some chocolate?

I'm not a good role model though - I started smoking again this year, and that's my "crutch" at the moment, but is obviously not a healthy one at all :-(

As said above, maybe save some syns for chocolate :)

I used to comfort eat all the time, mainly from stress, somehow SW helped me voercome that. I know that I can eat a nice warming hearty meal thats free on SW & satisfying.

The other thing that stops me is that although eating tons of comfort food makes you feel better AT THE TIME, you know you'd probably wish you hadn't eat it later on.

Maybe search what kind of treats you can use your syns on that would fill the gap stress causes.

Thanks to SW, if I do over indulge on chocolate I feel really ill, almost hangover, I remember that feeling when I am tempted, its not worth it. Now I just make sure I have lots of superfree and if I have to eat then thats available.

I have suffered with stress in the past and I find now that I am a whole lot stronger because of it - I had to see a counceller for a while, which was expensive, but worth it.

I play the drums which really helps me (but I recognise that maybe thats not everyones cup of tea!!), but I do think it VERY important for every person to have 'me time', perhaps not playing the drums - but maybe something you can do, just for you once a week. My mum has just strated yoga classes at 65, thats her 'me time'.
It could be something totally obscure like taking art/pottery classes or learning the drums!!!:)

Today, my answer is 'bloody hell, I don't know!'. I've had a really terrible day, all topped off with falling over (badly, as obese people tend to do) and cutting up all my hands and knees on gravel. Going home, with a hurty knee and heavy bags, I had to pass all sorts of takeaway places and food shops and all I wanted to do was go in somewhere and stuff my face with something hot and starchy. I didn't give in, and I'm safely home but I still feel like I could order up a big pizza and eat it all.

I'm just going to try watching telly, having a filling but on plan tea and getting a bubble bath and an early night.
I hope you feel better soon,I hope you manage to avoid stuffing yourself - if will give you some positive feelings if you can stay strong (she says)! Good luck!

Stress/comfort eating is a difficult one. I have always been a comfort eater, and think i've hidden behind my size for long enough.

I find spacing out what I eat helps, ie little and often. I keep boiled eggs in the fridge, chopped pineapple, 0% yoghurts.

I also find enjoying my food helps. If I work out what I am having and enjoy my food I can stick to plan even on rough days :D You can do it :D

I also find having a diary on here helps me big time. Yes I do have blips but my friends on here pick me back up and help me back on the wagon straight away rather than me slipping into weeks of bad eating so it minimises the damage. I am also trying drinking water first. this way usually I find that enough to stop me picking :bighug: xxxxx

see I'm the complete opposite when it comes to stress, when I'm stressed I simply just don't want to eat like anything at all. I'm a freak lmao :S

Awww I really feel for you as I've always used food as my best friend in times of stress, I just do a bit of self talking now, I tell myself that rubbish food is two faced and not really my friend, its the type of friend who wants me to enjoy its company but ultimately wants me to feel rubbish about myself.

Make your favourite SW food. It could be a mixed grill or whatever and enjoy every mouthful realising that that ultimately it'll make you feel smashing about yourself in the long run.

Hope everything turns out good for you.

A quiet walk, a swim, curling up in bed with an options hot chocolate and your favourite magazine, paint your nails, do some cross stitch.....just a few ideas
Just wish I listened to my own advice....my stress buster is a few beers(counted on track) or if limited syns left, a whisky or 2

ransom-x said:
see I'm the complete opposite when it comes to stress, when I'm stressed I simply just don't want to eat like anything at all. I'm a freak lmao :S

No you're not. I'm the same - its a very common reaction when suffering from stress!

Oh gosh, I wish I didn't eat when I was stressed, happy, sad, bored, not bored, you get the picture lol. I now have a hot bath with a mint hi fi bar. yum. I agree with everyone who says have some me time. Every time you make a right choice you become stronger and relearn new coping strategies that (for me) don't involve cheese sandwiches with crisps and chocolate.

I'm going through a whole pile of stress myself at the moment and I've gone the opposite way, I just don't feel like eating. When I do eat, as people keep telling me that I HAVE to eat, then it's not long before it makes a reappearance.

I'm also not able to sleep at the moment, I've tried herbal remedies, sleeping tablets from the doctor, alcohol, and nothing seems to work. To say that I'm on my knees at the moment is an understatement.

Oh gosh, I wish I didn't eat when I was stressed, happy, sad, bored, not bored, you get the picture lol.

Same here :eek:

Sylver hope you are feeling less stressed and more in control now

I like to have a nice bubbly bath and curl up in bed with a book. Also, have you considered relaxation techniques; deep breathing, visualisation etc? People scoff but I find them very useful, originally used them as a pain management tool but great when things are getting on top of you x

I'm going through a whole pile of stress myself at the moment and I've gone the opposite way, I just don't feel like eating. When I do eat, as people keep telling me that I HAVE to eat, then it's not long before it makes a reappearance.

I'm also not able to sleep at the moment, I've tried herbal remedies, sleeping tablets from the doctor, alcohol, and nothing seems to work. To say that I'm on my knees at the moment is an understatement.

So this is the big difference between feeling under pressure, and actually suffering from clinical stress. When people have clinical stressed they tend to not eat, not sleep, turn to alcohol etc. When they are feeling under pressure, they tend to eat more as a diversionary tactic (if I eat I can avoid thinking about the thing thats putting me under pressure), hide away etc. These symptoms are actually more similar to those of depression rather than clinical stress.

This is not to underestimate the impact that feeling under pressure can cause to your life, but as a society we tend to use stress to describe a whole bunch of things which aren't stress In fact, a very small minority of people have ever suffered with clinical stress, but the vast majority of us have at some time been under considerable pressure.

So :) back the OP's original question - via a rather convulted route admittedly :)

If I find myself reaching for food it usually means one of 3 things. 1) I'm hungry. 2) I'm under pressure and trying to divert myself. 3) I am depressed.

If I'm hungry, a carrot will do the trick. So thats what I start with. If I'm under pressure, I try to determine what situation I am trying to avoid and why. If its 3, I get myself quick smart to the doctors.

Kittenkat. if you haven't already, get yourself to the doctors, get signed off work if you can afford it, get referred to a counsellor, and don't drink to try and sleep - It doesn't work.

overeating secondery to stress is my major weight problem, i am currently off work with stress that has turned into panic disorder and mild agraphobia. I have ignored the problem for years and adapted to it and then in aug i just snapped, no real trigger i was just so tightly wound i broke.
My advice to any body that has a serious problem with stress is deal with it now.
Lucky enougth for me the day i snapped my GP had a cancellation and saw me straight away. I am now having counselling and learning new coping stratergies.. still fight with my self regularly to prevent a binge and always ask my self why i am eating. before i eat i have a drink to take the edge off .

please please if you think you have a serious problem with eating get help.

Not to interrupt, but kingleds that was a really useful post - I foten think that the difference between feeling pressued and stressed arenot clear enough to understand, but you explained that in a manner that worked.

As for when I'm feeling like everything is getting on top of me, I tend to sulk and strop rather than eat. I'm a delight ;)

I used to bite my nails (43 years of biting), new years resolution was to stop - so now no more biting nails (10 months now) and I no longer comfort eat (only made me unhappy as I was always annoyed afterwards at what I had eaten).

I just take out my stresses exercising - usually wii! or if I must have a chocolate fix a kit kat bar - but only 1!!

im having a bit of a nightmare at the moment, its proving quite hard, i've felt that i need to lower my target as trying to maintain at the moment is making me go off the rails a bit. its a control thing and my way of getting through is keep reminding myself that this is one thing I can control, i can't control much else at the moment but i know what i am doing with sw and going off track will most definitly make me feel 100% worse than i do now. i have bought myself a big wolly jumper this week and i am sat all snuggly with a mug of hot choc. i keep making yummy soups and they really fill me up between meals when i feel like pigging out. they're full of superfree stuff so no need to count any syns, i can save them for my hot chocs and crisps :)

Last edited:
Back